RC Enthusiast

Question Is stock XL5 2wd Slash ready for the Velinion system?

I have a stock 2wd Slash with the brushed motor and XL5 speed control.

My question is if I drop in the big brushless Velinion motor and speed control will anything on my slash need to be upgraded to handle the extra power? Or is it good and strong enough as is?

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHotRod View Post
    I have a stock 2wd Slash with the brushed motor and XL5 speed control.

My question is if I drop in the big brushless Velinion motor and speed control will anything on my slash need to be upgraded to handle the extra power? Or is it good and strong enough as is?

Thanks!
    its brush less ready just do it stock gearing on a brush less slash is 23/86
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Enthusiast
    So does that mean I can leave the stock gear that is it in now which I have been using with the Titan motor.

Stock my big black gear has 90T and the small gear on the motor has 19 teeth. Is that good or bad?

RC Qualifier
    You may need to upgrade to the 4x4 hd driveshafts don't think the Xl-5 comes with them.

When I installed my first velineon system in my stocks slash,the axles lasted until I change over to tenko,their still in the bag like new,but I like tenko and the over sized inner bearing. The only thing i don't run tenko in,is my pro track,because there not long enough,I use mip,and don't care much for them either. I wish rpm would make a longer set of control arms. then I could toss the pro lines.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Throw the velineon in
    No need for anything else
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    I would change the gears I had the 19/90 that I bought for mine along with 4 other spur gears and 5 different pinion gears the 19/90 was SLOW for the $7 to change both gears its worth it like i said vxl slash is 23/86 out of the box with the 28 pinion in the box as an option

RC Competitor
    I'm a rookie here but I ran my XL-5 for a few months, then just threw in the Velineon system on 2s lipos and besides gearing I'd done nothing to the Slash. We'll, besides hit things harder and faster than before as WOW it's a whole different truck now, but you get my point.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't look at things like steel yokes, bigger rear axles or whatever but at least to get started...

Enjoy and watch your speed and throttle control, phew!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
    You may need to upgrade to the 4x4 hd driveshafts don't think the Xl-5 comes with them.
    Are they the stock axles that come on the 4x4 slash or aftermarket hd driveshafts?

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    When I installed my first velineon system in my stocks slash,the axles lasted until I change over to tenko,their still in the bag like new,but I like tenko and the over sized inner bearing. The only thing i don't run tenko in,is my pro track,because there not long enough,I use mip,and don't care much for them either. I wish rpm would make a longer set of control arms. then I could toss the pro lines.
    Is tenco an aftermarket axle maker? How do their axles compare to the slash 4x4 axles do you know? So you're saying I shouldn't even mess with MIP then?

Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    I would change the gears I had the 19/90 that I bought for mine along with 4 other spur gears and 5 different pinion gears the 19/90 was SLOW for the $7 to change both gears its worth it like i said vxl slash is 23/86 out of the box with the 28 pinion in the box as an option
    Ok that sounds like a good idea to change over to the 23/86 set... Will I really notice that big of a difference? Do you get more bottom end torque or top speed changing from 19/90 to 23/86?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew816 View Post
    I'm a rookie here but I ran my XL-5 for a few months, then just threw in the Velineon system on 2s lipos and besides gearing I'd done nothing to the Slash. We'll, besides hit things harder and faster than before as WOW it's a whole different truck now, but you get my point.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't look at things like steel yokes, bigger rear axles or whatever but at least to get started...

Enjoy and watch your speed and throttle control, phew!
    Dude I totally know what you're saying it's a night and day difference and sooooooooo worth the change! Based on everyone's answers so far it sounds like the first thing I need to do is upgrade to some beefier rear driveshafts.

RC Qualifier
    they are the same shafts that come with the vxl nothing different the only thing that is different is you bought the cheaper truck without the vxl

RC Enthusiast
    Ok thanks skye

RC Enthusiast
    Looks like when you buy the VXL Slash (5807L) with the brushless motor it comes factory with more heavy duty driveshafts...

Check out the link and scroll down to where it shows a photo of the driveshafts and says this:

New Heavy-Duty Driveshafts
    Brutal brushless horsepower would stress ordinary drivetrain components to their limits, so Slash VXL steps up with new, extra-strong telescoping universal-joint driveshafts. In combination with Slash's Brushless Ready steel-gear transmission, the result is a Traxxas-Tough driveline that makes certain every watt of Velineon power is transformed into rocket-like thrust.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/e.../5807Lslashvxl

RC Qualifier
    It will drop right in, but expect more to break as it has a lot more power and it really pushes stock parts to their limits. Misuse will destroy any parts you put on there, no matter how expensive. Whenever you need replacing, go with RPM parts because they are 3x stronger than traxxas parts because of the fiber density which will save you more in the long run. They also don't "shatter" as Traxxas parts do, because they have a small amount of "flex" in them so they will bend a little bit to accomodate the pressure, but they can still break. Aluminium looks cool for a while, but then the paint rubs off and it looks worn out. It is also more expensive and some cheaper quality aluminium parts can just bend and then you can't fix it without fracturing the parts. Good luck on the journey to going brushless!

I have a set of brand new,unbagged,said heavy duty axles.
    Next to the one's I took of my stock brushed slash,I cant see a difference.
    And the main reason I first went to teknos,was because,I was still in brain off mode running 3s,and a piece of black top got caught in the shaft,but due to the 3s I didn't notice,and it cut into part of the axle,right at the dog bone joint.
    But once I went tekno,I never looked back.
    Their bullet proof.
    I beat them with cc 3800's all day never a failure.But Except for today,just to see if pro line bead locks could take it,I no longer run 3s.
    Looks like when you buy the VXL Slash (5807L) with the brushless motor it comes factory with more heavy duty driveshafts...

Check out the link and scroll down to where it shows a photo of the driveshafts and says this:

Brutal brushless horsepower would stress ordinary drivetrain components to their limits, so Slash VXL steps up with new, extra-strong telescoping universal-joint driveshafts. In combination with Slash's Brushless Ready steel-gear transmission, the result is a Traxxas-Tough driveline that makes certain every watt of Velineon power is transformed into rocket-like thrust.

Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier

and your the President now that you see it in black and white you believe it right

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    and your the President now that you see it in black and white you believe it right
    I dont know man Im new to the world of electric and the slash truck... Im just showing what I read on the site thats all.

RC Qualifier
    I dont know man Im new to the world of electric and the slash truck... Im just showing what I read on the site thats all.
    i was at my lhs today buying up more stuff and i asked him about this they are both the same NO DIFFERENCE at all on the vxl and the xl5 same axle thats why its BRUSHLESS READY