RC poster

C rating on Lipo's

Any limit to the C rating on a lipo in the Rustler VXL? I just picked up a 2S 6000mah 65c-130c battery, is this compatable with the VXL's esc and motor?

Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yes it is compatible, velineon motor doesn´t need a lots of amps, so a 20, 25, 30c will be fine.

RC Qualifier
    The more "c's" on a battery the more power you get delivered to the ESC. The more power delivered to the ESC the shorter your runtimes, but they will be more fast and powerful. 65C is almost like a 3s 20c lipo. That should be fun. There is no limit, just be careful and watch your motor temps, and keep them cool because they need to stay cooler to not break quickly. If they overheat, consider gearing down.

RC poster
    Thanks for the help. I'm running 31/76 right now, thats how I bought the car. Whats the stock gearing on Rustler VXL?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by vladsly View Post
    The more "c's" on a battery the more power you get delivered to the ESC. The more power delivered to the ESC the shorter your runtimes, but they will be more fast and powerful. 65C is almost like a 3s 20c lipo.
    The more "c" = more amps will be delivered, but the motor is who tells you how many amps will be withdrawn, or how many amps he needs, it doesn't mean that the battery will deliver all the amps it is capable of. The voltage of the package depends only of the number of cells.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tnark View Post
    Thanks for the help. I'm running 31/76 right now, thats how I bought the car. Whats the stock gearing on Rustler VXL?
    25/83. 31/76 on 2S lipo will get you to around 50mph.

Quote Originally Posted by tnark View Post
    That's pretty high gearing, have you been checking motor temps??? Nothing wrong with that gearing, just make sure you don't overheat it.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Just for the record: a C-rating without knowing the capacity of a battery says nothing.
    Even a 5000mAh 20C 3S will give you much more to speed than a 6000mAh 65C 2S. The first battery should be able to deliver 1100W, which a VXL system only consumes in rare peaks using high gearing. Although the 2S can deliver almost 2900W, the VXL system will never use it.

If you want a VW Beetle go fast, you don't want the Porsche 911's gas tank, but it's motor :-)
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    That's pretty high gearing, have you been checking motor temps??? Nothing wrong with that gearing, just make sure you don't overheat it.
    I've been real careful about overheating, run for a good 15 min or so and let it cool. The overheat protection on the esc did kick in once, is that real bad?

Well it's bad, but if the esc didn't melt I guess you're ok. You should look into buying a TRX brand fan for the esc. It'll drop right in and plugs into the esc.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Well it's bad, but if the esc didn't melt I guess you're ok. You should look into buying a TRX brand fan for the esc. It'll drop right in and plugs into the esc.
    I thought the purpose of the overheat protection was to avoid damage, therefore the automatic shut down. Not that I plan on using it, rather avoid overheating all together. Plan on picking up a fan today.

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone tried the max amp 150c 3s lipo yet in a rusty.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ppizun69 View Post
    No, I'd have to refinance my house to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by ppizun69 View Post

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Are those con artists still in business?

Quote Originally Posted by vladsly View Post
    The more "c's" on a battery the more power you get delivered to the ESC. The more power delivered to the ESC the shorter your runtimes, but they will be more fast and powerful. 65C is almost like a 3s 20c lipo. That should be fun. There is no limit, just be careful and watch your motor temps, and keep them cool because they need to stay cooler to not break quickly. If they overheat, consider gearing down.

Not really. The C rating of a 2S pack does not affect the voltage. If your 2S pack feels anything like your 3S pack, your 3S pack is no good. Also, the higher C rating will not deliver any more power through the esc than the motor asks for.
    Last edited by harry697; 02-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Not really. The C rating of a 2S pack does not affect the voltage. If your 2S pack feels anything like your 3S pack, your 3S pack is no good. Also, the higher C rating will not deliver any more power through the esc than the motor asks for.
    I just purchased this SPC Li-Po 6500mAh 50C 2S 7.4V for my rustler...with that firebolt brushed motor (17t pinion)..im starting to get confused on all the ratings...will this thing be safe to run? Sorry, just so much info on these batteries I start second guessing my purchases.
    Sponsored by Sugar Mamma Racing aka The Wife O.o

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenhousden View Post
    I just purchased this SPC Li-Po 6500mAh 50C 2S 7.4V for my rustler...with that firebolt brushed motor (17t pinion)..im starting to get confused on all the ratings...will this thing be safe to run? Sorry, just so much info on these batteries I start second guessing my purchases.
    That's fine don't worry too much about the C, brushed motors won't pull too much amps so a 20,30 c pack is enough, the "C" will matter when you have big hungry motors. Make sure your esc is in lipo mode or you will over discharge the lipo damaging it.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 02-06-2013 at 11:06 AM.

RC Champion
    I liken the "C" rating to a McDonalds Milkshake straw to a normal size straw. The higher the "C" rating, the bigger the straw.

Try drinking McDonalds milkshake with a regular straw.....not gonna happen so easy. = low "C" rating

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenhousden View Post
    That battery can supply 325 amps so you'll be fine. You're ready for brushless with that battery. I have two of them on the way now for my Rustler with the Velineon upgrade. Should be delivered today!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by altidude View Post
    That battery can supply 325 amps so you'll be fine. You're ready for brushless with that battery. I have two of them on the way now for my Rustler with the Velineon upgrade. Should be delivered today!
    Sweet! Thats what I wanted...something we can run brushed on for now and not burn through motors to fast but upgrade to brushless later when he learns to drive it better.
    Sponsored by Sugar Mamma Racing aka The Wife O.o

RC poster
    im confused on what this means 60c~130c....i have a vxl slash 2wd, im looking for a strong 2s lipo that wont burn nothing up, and a strong 3s also that wont burn nothin up....?????

RC Champion
    What I learned from the forums was that current, amps & c rating do not push big power. Current is drawn, never pushed. So your not feeding a BL system with big power, but if you have a big power system it will feed off the higher mah, higher c rating battery packs. So a 2 pole VXL system is only going to pull x number of amps. Pretty low stuff. But with a castle power house system - a 5000 mah 25c pack will make less power than the 5000 mah 50c pack because the higher rated pack can deliver more to the BL system. The BL system that taxes the battery more benefits from higher amped packs. The BL combo that needs '25c' doesn't instantly become more powerful with a 50C battery. But the BL combo that needs '50c' starves the 25C pack and runs to it's full potential with a '50c' pack. Buts it's not about c rating. It's the combo of mah and c rating with a splash of quality in the manufacturer. there's a math combo to figure it alll out but it doesn't mean too much in the real world. Bigger isn't necessarily better, but safer and more 'constant'

Current is not drawn. If there is no battery, nothing happens. Current starts to run when there is a way for electrons to move from the negative to the positive battery lead.
    If a combo can consume less power than the battery can provide, a more powerful battery makes no difference. If the combo can consume more than the battery can provide, adding a more powerful battery will increase performance.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Current is not drawn. If there is no battery, nothing happens. Current starts to run when there is a way for electrons to move from the negative to the positive battery lead.
    Noted, thanks for the clarification. Maybe my explanation would have been more accurate if I said amps instead of current?
    Last edited by Oaks; 03-08-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    Noted, thanks for the clarification. Maybe my explanation would have been more accurate if I said amps instead of current?
    Most welcome. Since electrical current is expressed in Ampere, it would have made no difference.
    You gave quite a good explanation IMHO.