Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Why not use some vacuum hose from the auto parts store for the headers? It's cheap and black, and you could stuff it with some coat hanger wire to make it hold it's shape. Maybe use some heatshrink for the collector.

Speaking of Plastruct

" Dave uses Plastruct Butyl Coated wire.
    I use evergreen and plastruct styrene' "

http://www.thewebwheeler.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I will look into that stuff guys. I am gonna use that tube that baldy linked, unless one of my lhs's has some in stock. Yes I am gonna use some type of wire in the fuel tube for shape.

Reaper, I will look into the thundertech setup, but the posts are just hanging in the air with no support at the bottom. I dont like it that way. A standard setup will work just fine, and will cut another couple of hours off the build. There are so many things to do to get to the end...

Here are some pics of the way I mounted the header plate:
    I cut off some of the body post from the summit rear posts.

I then trimmed them down:

Added the 12mm screws and cut the ends off:

Used my trusty body reamer to make holes in the motor heads so the screw heads have a place to lock into when I goo them on. Its hard to see the holes as my cam has a hard time focusing on shiny stuff:

Mounted and goo'd:
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    Older RC's with a flat chassis usually dont have upper supports for the bell crank and work well. With a plastic chassis it would not really work but with the stiffer materials it should work just fine. So if you get your hands on the parts give it a try.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Loot, that site is 90% static models. Can it hold up to 25mph cartwheels?

I bought 2.8 mashers. I dont want desparado's. Besides all stars, What do you guys like for 2.8 rims?

EDIT:
    Looks like with the traxxas style bead, there are only 2 options. Desparado and allstarz. That is a bummer. May have to talk to baldy to see if we could come up with something different...
    Last edited by rag6; 03-08-2013 at 10:07 PM.

RC Champion
    There are the 2.8 twin spokes off of the nitro Rustler/Stampede. You could also stretch the tires onto some 3.2's. And if you have any extra Imex 2.8's they will mount on 3.2's with ease.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    Split spokes (Jato style), JConcepts Rulux, maybe modify a set of old PL 30 series? I think that you can still get Losi 320 series wheels, even though they have a conventional bead, maybe they could be modified.

Does anyone know if chrome desperados will take blue dye???

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Does anyone know if chrome desperados will take blue dye???
    They don't take dye to well of any cooler. Remember I tried to dye them black last summer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 03-09-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Thanks. Wonder why proline only makes 1 2.8 traxxas wheel??? You would think a fresh design would sell better than the desps

RC Champion
    Thanks. Wonder why proline only makes 1 2.8 traxxas wheel??? You would think a fresh design would sell better than the desps
    Desperado's are pretty much the only wheel for any MT. When I get mashers for my revo I'm thinking about getting Axial 8 spoke. The monster jam rims might look cool for this build. I don't know if those would fit mashers.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    It is pretty crappy, but the fact is that the desperatos still remain the fresh design simply because there are so few other options for Traxxas style beads besides stock wheels. So I guess in their mind they don't need a new 2.8 wheel as long as the desperatos remain one of the very few aftermarket 2.8 options. Personally I have absolutely no desire to ever own desperatos, not because they aren't a nice wheel, but because I'm not into having a truck that looks the same as everyone else's.

I bought 2.8 mashers. I dont want desparado's. Besides all stars, What do you guys like for 2.8 rims?

EDIT:
    Looks like with the traxxas style bead, there are only 2 options. Desparado and allstarz. That is a bummer. May have to talk to baldy to see if we could come up with something different...
    This is the reason I went with the 3.2" Mashers instead of waiting for the 2.8's to be in stock. But on a stock dimension P2de 3.2's would be way too big. Reaper named another option of the Jato front twin spokes that are an alright looking wheel. You aren't limited to only these 3 options though, with a bit of dremel work you can use any 2.8 wheel you want, you just have to grind off the outer bead seating lip so that they look like this:

Thedreadedend did this ^ mod to a set of wheels and even though he said he did a quick job using scissors they still turned out okay. If you were gonna try this mod, imex has some nice looking 2.8 wheels.

here's a link to dreads thread:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ires-made-easy.

There is also the option of the Jconcepts Rulux 2.8 wheels which are Traxxas style bead compatible. Get them in white, dye em blue like you wanted, mount em up and be done with it. Im not big on the look of these wheels when used with lower profile or squared sidewall tires, but with the large sidewall bulge of the mashers they would look tight, especially if dyed a dark shade of blue.

here's a link to em:

http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0001p?&I=JCOC3361

I also read a mention above of losi 320 series wheels, which I'm sure you could mod for Traxxas beads and stretch the mashers onto them. IMO, losi has some of the sweetest looking stock wheel/tire combos I've ever seen included on an rtr rc. The zombie max and force wheel combo is one that I have been looking at for a very long time, but never bought em because at 4.75" tire diameter they would be too small for my XL's. But I got a Merv now.... They should have never discontinued making the Maxx sized zombie tires, I'd love to get my hands on a set of those tires!

The 320 series chrome dish wheels and deep dish wheels make me drool too. Lol

There is also the option of getting either chrome Traxxas 2.8 wheels or chrome desperatos and using blue anodize paint on em. With the large sidewall of the Mashers the rims won't get banged up too much, but if you run in coarse dirt or gravel a lot, then I wouldn't bother with painting or even chrome for that matter cuz they'll look like crap in no time.

I think the Rulux 2.8 wheels in factory black plastic or white plastic (dyed dark blue) will be be your most trouble free, mod free and plug and play option to run the 2.8 Mashers. They should look good doing it too.

But if it were me, I'd trim the beads a bit then stretch n glue em onto some 3.2's (3.2 Rulux Half-ups are a killer looking wheel because they are deep dish and offset or black ofna mt splits if you want more width) and run some 17mm adapters and forget the 12mm hex. (the losi 320 series wheels are 14mm hex) Since you are planning to stick to a lower top speed of around 30mph or so, if you run a brushless setup you'll have gobs of extra low end oomph which may cause the 12mm hex's to round out. Just some food for thought.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 03-09-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Thanks baldy. Still deciding...

I have made some changes to my plan, collecting some parts. Updates commin'

I took all the used parts off, and will be doing this chassis some justice. A full blue alum trans, trx blue caster and carriers, new protrac arms, will be going on. Still trying to figure out the camber and toe links. I want blue. I was gonna try the trx tubes for the slayer pro, but they do not make black or blue. I see associated makes some blue titanium tie rods for some vehicles, may be able to use them for cambers. Someone makes some blue links that will work, I just have to find them.

Dropping the homemade body. My skills will let me make a durable body, but it will not look good enough to fit the rest of the build. The dummy motor and headers are staying, but it will sit lower(not thru the hood) on top of the servo. The interior will be a single seat MJ type interior, bare and all business. Maybe find some room for a blue loot nos bottle beside the driver(there will be a driver). Just spent the last 2 wks getting my slash mt ready for bashing, and its ready for spring so all extra resources will be pointed towards this starting next week. I am searching for a maxx 2.5 size body. I can still cut the hood to expose the engine bay, and maybe even make a removable hood for display. Checking the lhs's for something in the next week or so... The wheelbase of this chassis is 12" my jeep hpi rubicon is a bit too long, so not all maxx bodies will drop right on...

Mounted new mashers to black all stars and they look great. I will throw them on the slash mt to see the performance, and if I likey, I will pick up another set for this.

RC Champion
    Sounds awesome can't wait to see some progress.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    What style of body are you looking to get? My son's 3906 E-maxx has a 12" wheelbase and the first extended chassis of my HR P2de XL was also 12" wheelbase, so I've done a lot of hunting around for bodies that fit this size of wheelbase. Are you going with a full aluminum gearbox or a blue rpm one? Remember when I said I would purchase the rpm gearbox just because you said I couldn't break it? Well I did and I will, but installing it was more hassle than it was worth IMO. I built another p2de with a few rpm upgrades and every single one of the rpm parts had fitment issues. I used my dremel more than I used the hex driver!

I had read earlier that you were gonna use a MMP and brushed motor to power this unit, have you decided on a motor yet? Also In the truck I just built, I'm using an et-3s esc to run a peak racing thunderbolt 17 turn triple on 2s & 3s lipo geared 20/86 and man is it ever smooth. Absolutely Zero cog at crawling speeds and man is it torquey. The same motor and gearing on 2s with the xl-5 makes the truck seem like a total sloth and heats up the xl5, its amazing what these new brushless/brushed escs can do for an old school brushed motor.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Blue rem full alum trans. The black HR hybrid(full alum box with the composite motor plate) is going back into my slash mt in the morn. The stock grey gearbox has to go...
    I like the way my buddies sc10 bl motor runs. About 70% the torque of a vxl. It should be perfect with the mmp.

The new mashers will be perfect for this truck. They work great on road or off. As with the old masher 2k's these are a great all around tire.

As a terrain specific tire, these may not be best at anything, but can handle anything. Had an epic slash mt bash Saturday, and paved road, rocky oiled road, grass, baseball field, topsoil, and clay, they get good traction anywhere, and show no signs of wear at all. Granted, there is a better tire for all those surfaces, but none other that handles everything as well in my experience...

RC Champion
    There is a new masher?
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fr8cture View Post
    There is a new masher?
    http://prolineracing.com/tires/mashe...n-truck-tires/

RC Champion
    Oh yeah they announced 2.8 a little while ago.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Enthusiast
    Just wondering if there's any updates??

Sent From My 2500 HD Tapatalk 2
    My old screen name on here is ( Rocpede4x4)

No updates yet. I want to replace the chassis rails, and thats gonna take a big chunk a change that I wont have for a while.

Also buying stuff for my basher slash, and my 4xpede build first. Its a long way from having all three trucks ready, and this one is the last in line 8(

RC Champion
    Nice , now that's really some work. I thought of just putting this to make a V8 realistic tune for the truck as I am a huge fan for V8....with this digiSOUND.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    If you ever sell this let me know, so I can get the money ready for it.

Sent From My 2500 HD Tapatalk 2
    My old screen name on here is ( Rocpede4x4)

I really cant see ever selling it... Its worth more to me than anyone would pay. Everything has its price, but it would take a lot to get rid of this, even in its sad current form.

RC Qualifier
    I really cant see ever selling it... Its worth more to me than anyone would pay. Everything has its price, but it would take a lot to get rid of this, even in its sad current form.
    Can't wait to see what this evolves into.

Me also lol...

RC Qualifier
    Any updates coming on this cool project?
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

someday... I am busy with work so often, and always need the time and cash to keep my main 2 bashers running... Its just madness until I hit the powerball lol

RC Qualifier
    Anything new with this creature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That don't make NO sense!"

someone gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. its gone. I miss it, but for 4 times what I had into it, I could not say no...

RC Qualifier
    Heck,If he gave you 4x what you paid, re-build it exactly as you had it!

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    It's not like you can walk into a hobby shop and buy one of these chassis. Just because you want one, doesn't mean you can go get one. Cool for sure, but sometimes it's cooler to have extra cash to do other things.

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - 1/16th Fiesta - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - soon '65 Malibu Micro T Drifter
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    Ill be honest, I really didn't follow this build to much, but forget my last post! That is a unique chassis alright! Anyway you could still make a killer build

I still have the v8 Dummy motor...8))

RC Champion
    That is a sweet motor idea, maybe u can still use it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rraattrroodd View Post
    That is a sweet motor idea, maybe u can still use it.
    I am trying to get rags to send it over here , so that I could use it huge grin and hope,hihih at least I am trying ehehe
    Live life to the fullest

EEEEERRRRZZZZTTTT! Next Contestant!

Sorry, I am keeping it. It may wind up on my lcg 2wd slash buggy.... I am trying to find one for ya though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast