Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I would be stupid to buy a brushed esc, and not use one of the spare mmp's I have sitting idle. I need a mild 2s motor. Will an 18.5 crawler motor be able to push 5 lbs to 25 on 2s? I dont want ballistic acceleration, just something with a stock trucks xl5 power...
    Yes the 18.5 crawler motor is enough to power it
    The Titan is a 12 turn

Might not get the same speed
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Which 18.5 do you have, and do you like it?
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    hey rag i sorta rushed throught the thread but depending on the demensions of the "extenda blocks" i could possibly make you up a set in machinging class

PM me
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

Which 18.5 do you have, and do you like it?
    Oh I don't have one
    But since the titan is a 12t I bet an 18.5 would work
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Rag Said: Loot, gonna eventually send you a pm for hardware help. This may need to be lootified, right down to a nos bottle lol! Yes, you can put your sig on it for any help you can provide.

Sounds great Rag. Will Do. PM me for sure of how I can be of help, and I will totally do it. Im down to make you one, with that cage and work, you deserve it my friend!

Im real excited about this truck!
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Thanks loot. I just bought 375 screws from mcmaster. I may need some special items, and when I figure out what I want to get I will pm ya.

What do you guys think of the axial seats?
    Last edited by rag6; 02-21-2013 at 03:25 PM.

RC Champion
    Those look awesome but I would change the color of the seats kinda bland.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

These are the servo mounts I ordered yesterday:

RC Competitor
    keep posting pics & updates rag,cant wait to see where & how this ends up! that thing just looks awesome!

Will do. Just need more spare time and an unlimited supply of cash. I could knock it out in a couple of weeks, but unfortunately...

RC Competitor
    time & cash--- seems like most of us have either one or the other,having both at the same time,now thats a real trick. i think thats where creativity & ingenuity come in.you seem to be well stocked on both of those, so my hopes are high for this build.keep trucking.

RC Champion
    I'm cool with the build-as-you-go plan, as long as I know I'm not too far from being operational, lol. The servo mounts are cool, did you still need more miscellaneous parts to get it going, or are you still kind of stashing parts for later?

Just getting stuff together as I go and shooting from the hip. I now have an overall vision of what the truck is gonna be, but all the details of the issues I am facing are still fuzzy. I am too far from operational lol.

RC Champion
    Those seats are out of the Axial Wraith correct? Wonder if you could incorporate the whole interior? Depending on the specs of it? Might be a bit too much IDK?

My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

Its too big to fit. I had a lot of fun doing the cab, was thinking of making the interior panels too. I can always get the int accessories and use the example above as a basis. My biggest issue with doing the interior will be making everything easy to get in and out. I have to make this thing so that I dont have to unscrew 48 bolts to get to my esc, or rx. The servo is no problem as it will be under the rt ft fender, The battery is no problem as I can actually fit 2 standard 2s lipos ft to back, run them in parallel, and just clip them in. If I run 1 pack, it will be very very easy to just unclip and pull out from between the rear chassis rails.

I think I can set it up so that the body and alum cockpit part can just be unbolted with 8 nuts, pull 4 body clips, then lift off the chassis as 1 piece, and the interior/engine bay/rear end/electronics stuff can be easily worked on.

Really like those seats. Thats a great idea. Still watchin...

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Maybe rename the thread, " Rag's Diamondback Scaler Pede". Keep up the good work I really dig this.

A good thing might be to hit up dollar stores, garage sales or thrift stores for kids toy trucks with interiors that you can chop up. Just an idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Time is the biggest issue. I am working on THAT right now. Hope to go from 90 hrs to 60 this week.

KIller sig dig...

I think I can set it up so that the body and alum cockpit part can just be unbolted with 8 nuts, pull 4 body clips, then lift off the body/cockpit as 1 piece, and the interior/engine bay/rear end/electronics stuff can be easily worked on.
    I had to edit that. the carbon chassis pieces will stay attached.
    Last edited by rag6; 02-25-2013 at 12:21 AM.

All i can say is take your time rag it will be worth it in the end.

I'm like you I do nothing but work many hours it seems. They are killing our industry down here though with this fatigue rule they keep making more stringent every year or so. As long as the paycheck keeps coming i'm all aboard.

Anyways..... Do you have a dimension on the inner cab for what would fit for interior? Or have you decided on what you are going to use. I really like the axial up there.

Thanks for digg'n the sig. It works excellent for some posters. LOL BTW i know the unedited version of yours.....
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I seen the axial truck at my lhs. ft to back, that floor pan is too long. By an inch or more. I have a bunch of pics of that interior pan. I can use it as a basis for the one I will build. The interior will just fit in without having to be bolted to anything, but I may want to see if I can just chop the axial one to fit, or build off of it... Kinda want the fun of scratch building it though, and 10x10 polycarb sheets are $4 at my hobbytown.

About my sig, I read about how many more brain cells are destroyed by going without sleep and (I would assume) working too much, and it fit my mood that day. I think the next will say "the beatings will continue till moral improves..."

I forgot, I may want to do a single center seat setup also. It may make everything easier, and less cluttered inside.
    I was at kmart last night looking at steering wheels in the toys lol

I forgot, I may want to do a single center seat setup also. It may make everything easier, and less cluttered inside.
    I was at kmart last night looking at steering wheels in the toys lol
    The center seat design would be like a Monster Truck. Hmmmmm......Next time i'm at Wally World I'll do some look'n too.

If you can find a scale sized seat the rest can be build to work with it.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

My plan of lifting the body and cockpit off is not gonna work, I will brainstorm a little more but I think its a dead end. My plan did not support the graphite parts, and leaves them vulnerable to snapping where the cockpit supports are attached to the 4 points on the chassis rails if the truck lands on its roof from a jump. Cannot risk snapping those side rails. Too costly to replace them.

The dummy motor is in, and it is the perfect scale! Will post pics as soon as I locate a usb cable...
    Ps, the butterflies are functional...

Whelp, just pulled her out of the crate...

Mocked up...

This shows a nice smooth surface I can attach the headers to. Also the new ft bulk (strc of course) I picked up today...
    Last edited by rag6; 03-04-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Nice! Loving that little motor... Love seeing the Progress.

Nice rag!! That is the perfect scale motor for it. You going to have it protruding through the hood?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    This truck is coming along very nicely! Are you planning to bash this unit or make it a scale crawler? After all this work, you'll be scared to break it! Lol nice job man.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    This truck is coming along very nicely! Are you planning to bash this unit or make it a scale crawler? After all this work, you'll be scared to break it! Lol nice job man.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Yeah, this is the most scale build I have seen on the Traxxas forums. (Although I don't surf the Summit section) You should throw some bead-locks on there and lock up the diff. It wouldn't be a true crawler, but it would help with slow going. Such a cool build!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    Very Cool build. This reminds me of a scale built Clod Buster that was in RCCA many years Ago. He used the stock hard plastic body. Had a very detailed interior, engine, and with working doors and hood. With many more Functional details. He also made the body into an extended cab. It was very cool. This looks like your going for a scale Monster Jam, Monster truck. Love it!
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Nice rag!! That is the perfect scale motor for it. You going to have it protruding through the hood?
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    This truck is coming along very nicely! Are you planning to bash this unit or make it a scale crawler? After all this work, you'll be scared to break it! Lol nice job man. Basher all the way 8))
    Basher all the way 8))

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post
    Yeah, this is the most scale build I have seen on the Traxxas forums. (Although I don't surf the Summit section) You should throw some bead-locks on there and lock up the diff. It wouldn't be a true crawler, but it would help with slow going. Such a cool build!

I want an HR diff with 300 wt, and have eyed some 2.8 alum bead locks...

Quote Originally Posted by ramflames View Post
    Very Cool build. This reminds me of a scale built Clod Buster that was in RCCA many years Ago. He used the stock hard plastic body. Had a very detailed interior, engine, and with working doors and hood. With many more Functional details. He also made the body into an extended cab. It was very cool. This looks like your going for a scale Monster Jam, Monster truck. Love it!
    I still dont know where its gonna end up. I just have a vision of a scale performing, home built mt out of some hillbilly's back yard. Dont have to be polished, but still look the part, be tough enough to hold up to a little power...
    SO, SO, much left to do. This could take forever lol.
    Last edited by rag6; 03-04-2013 at 07:39 PM.

RC Competitor
    loving every update-it just keeps getting better! did i understand you to say the throttle butterflies will open? that would be deep end of cool!

Yes the butterflies have a little lever that sticks out of the drivers side of the blower that opens/closes them. The lever is very small and plastic. Have no clue how to hook any linkage to it, but the possibility is there.

Got started on the pass side header and realized that side mounted servo will be in the way. Gotta have headers, so the side mounted servo and belcranks are history. Gonna do a standard steering setup.

Here is the header 80% finished. Still have to get some wire in there so it will hold its shape, make a collector for the end (just using some random plastic cap for now), and find a way to make the pipes black. Does anyone make black fuel tube????? Would make this easier.

For the header plate I used the cut off body mount posts from my erbe, shaved them down and put 4 3x12 screws through for the pipes to slip onto. I drilled holes in the motor for the screw caps to lock into and shoogoo'd the header plate to the motor:

Dont have any pics of the process, but will try to snap a few when I do the other 1.
    Last edited by rag6; 03-05-2013 at 09:48 PM.

that's awesome man! you're custom building a hot rod and an rc in one shot. Lol.

Black fuel tubing:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXK824&P=8

Baldy the sourcemaster... Thanks!

3/32 I.D.
    Is that standard sized? Have no clue how that relates to a 3mm screw, but I am sure it will be perfect!

Baldy the sourcemaster... Thanks!

3/32 I.D.
    Is that standard sized? Have no clue how that relates to a 3mm screw, but I am sure it will be perfect!
    I was just thinking... Maybe 1/4" o.d. Pond tubing or hydraulic tubing might be something to look at if you are wanting it to retain its shape. These are made of solid black PVC, so you'd have to use a heat gun to shape em, but after they cooled they would stay put. Then again, it might be better to have them flex a bit if your connecting an exhaust pipe. If you are just gonna dump em, then you could make em solid.

Oh yeah, and 3/32" = 2.38mm

You may find this handy if you go shopping for tubing:

http://docs.engineeringtoolbox.com/d...conversion.pdf
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 03-05-2013 at 11:05 PM.

3/32= 2.3mm so were all good. Baldy to the recue!

RC Champion
    Why not go with the Thunder Tech bell crank setup? To me it looks like you could just install a original T-Maxx bell crank (4943) and cut the servo arm off the one side. Then put a collar that accepts a 3mm set screw on the cross link so you can get the ball end in the right spot. For the posts use T-Maxx steering posts (4944) and just cut them down. They are threaded all the way through so it should be easy to cut.

Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Yes the butterflies have a little lever that sticks out of the drivers side of the blower that opens/closes them. The lever is very small and plastic. Have no clue how to hook any linkage to it, but the possibility is there.

Got started on the pass side header and realized that side mounted servo will be in the way. Gotta have headers, so the side mounted servo and belcranks are history. Gonna do a standard steering setup.

Here is the header 80% finished. Still have to get some wire in there so it will hold its shape, make a collector for the end (just using some random plastic cap for now), and find a way to make the pipes black. Does anyone make black fuel tube????? Would make this easier.

For the header plate I used the cut off body mount posts from my erbe, shaved them down and put 4 3x12 screws through for the pipes to slip onto. I drilled holes in the motor for the screw caps to lock into and shoogoo'd the header plate to the motor:

Dont have any pics of the process, but will try to snap a few when I do the other 1.
    Oh my goodness, that is so awesome! If you are thinking of doing this in plastic, have you considered using Plastruct stuff? Bends easily with just a little heat and takes paint well. They make every size and shape imaginable. I've seen guys make entire bodies and interiors with the stuff. Just great this project is....

Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10