Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA

The Diamondback build

Dont know what I am gonna end up with, but just won this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-stam...vip=true&rt=nc
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

This looks interesting..
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    yes it does look interesting. Very very cool looking. Im subd for this.

tim

RC Racer
    Keep us posted

RC Qualifier
    Yes please keep us updated on the build that is interesting looking
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

I seen it with 3 min left in the auction and got my bid in at the last second. Did not get to take a good look before I won it, but seen some pics a while back that reapergn posted and knew at that time that I wanted this chassis if I found 1.

Looks like the rear of the chassis is either broken or missing something. I have some materials for that. What I really like is that I think I can mid engine this thing... I am kinda hopein' that reaper will chime in on this as he knows a lot more about it.

I dont like the cantilever shocks. If I go mid engine, the rear bumper mount from my slice a3 will let me have normal rear shocks/ tower.

The cab seems to be made of metal, with cf tvp's hanging off the front and back. Maybe room for a full interior?
    Last edited by rag6; 02-03-2013 at 08:37 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That thing is mean looking. Definitely going to watch this one. Congrats on that find.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

More pics from the seller:

Does the motor work that comes with it?
    Looks like a old Novak brushless

Shipping costs quite a bit,.

RC Enthusiast
    Awsome score Rag6, I'll be watching.
    My old screen name on here is ( Rocpede4x4)

RC Racer
    lucky dog,lucky dog,rag6 is the lucky dog!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by diggerdad View Post
    lucky dog,lucky dog,rag6 is the lucky dog!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know, right

Sorry to hear about you ditching the cantilever setup, but I spy some jato rear arms...any chance of widening the front more? That setup has a good amount of wheelbase, too, I know those tires aren't small, but there's a good amount of room between front and back. Nice score

RC Qualifier
    Nice uber long a arms for those abused maxx wheels & tires. Are those front arms aluminum? I wonder how they would hold to abuse along with those rear jato arms if u keep those big treads.

Awesome Rag. Will be real interesting to see what you'll end up with. Very Cool
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I seen it with 3 min left in the auction and got my bid in at the last second. Did not get to take a good look before I won it, but seen some pics a while back that reapergn posted and knew at that time that I wanted this chassis if I found 1.

Looks like the rear of the chassis is either broken or missing something. I have some materials for that. What I really like is that I think I can mid engine this thing... I am kinda hopein' that reaper will chime in on this as he knows a lot more about it.

I dont like the cantilever shocks. If I go mid engine, the rear bumper mount from my slice a3 will let me have normal rear shocks/ tower.

The cab seems to be made of metal, with cf tvp's hanging off the front and back. Maybe room for a full interior?
    The rear has been broken off and that raises some serious questions. Was it broke off due to an accident? Is the glue holding the carbon fiber together breaking down with age? And are the broken plates just snapped or cracked? For the price there is enough there especially if the motor works for it not to be a bad deal. But the Thunder Tech chassis is missing a fair amount of parts. Luckily all the main ones are there. When you get it I highly suggest getting a special box for any parts you remove. And it would be well worth the time and effort to pull it apart and trace the side plates that way you have a template.

I am not sure how your going to make it mid engine. The front and rear ends are stock Stampede so you would need to make a custom rear skid plate unless there is something out there for the slash.

You should reconsider the rear cantilevers. Using them allows you to install a roll bar with ease and all accounts I have gotten from actual owners is they really improved the handling.

But if you prefer a standard layout there was one available and should be easy to copy.

Lastly the cab I believe is aluminum. The two side plates are solid pieces but with very little in the center. The cab supports everything and should be used or flexing may become an issue.

And here is a collection of photos I have collected. They should help you piece everything back together.

http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/s...cpZZ1QQtppZZ16
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Nice score rag!!! I can't wait to see this build come together. I really dig the rear cantilever. Its like the rockers on the Revo platform. Which I love how its suspension works.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    man this is a nail biter right here. Im on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens on this one.

tim

So wait?
    Is this thunder tech chassis special because of the way the rear shocks are?

Anybody care to educate me

After looking at reapers album, I notice there must have been a couple of different versions.

I think I can get just about any cf part made @ http://rccarbonworks.com/store/index.php. The guy that owns it comes to my track. I think I am gonna put my 4x4 build on hold for this, and dismantle my slash mt for it...

RC Champion
    There were two versions of the chassis and I believe the cage made. One fiberglass and the other carbon fiber. But almost everything was an optional extra. Just to put the darn thing together required buying "optional" parts. Because of this there are quite a few differences between them. Full option Thunder Tech pedes are very rare. Back when this setup was available those with the money to get the full option kit were not interested in dropping 800+ on a Stampede. Now the parts are very hard to come by.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Thats kind of a shame because between parts breakage and upgrades, someone can easily have that much $ into a Stampede. Not to take anythig away from the thunder tech, but I saw a full flm roller brand new for 300 a long while ago. Looking back on it, it was a pretty good deal.

Back to the thunder tech, any vids floating around of this thing in action?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    Thats kind of a shame because between parts breakage and upgrades, someone can easily have that much $ into a Stampede. Not to take anythig away from the thunder tech, but I saw a full flm roller brand new for 300 a long while ago. Looking back on it, it was a pretty good deal.

Back to the thunder tech, any vids floating around of this thing in action?

You need to understand this setup came out shortly after the Stampede was released. So 96-99. At that time not even the baddest race vehicles cost that much. And while that was not all that long ago prices have changed quite a bit.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

No vids I could find when I searched earlier.

Reaper, I think there were 2 different cf versions, at least for the big rear rails. Most of the pics in your album(xcept for1) show rear rails different from the ones on the truck I won.

RC Champion
    From what I saw there were more than two versions. But the only difference I can see from the pics is in how the very rear of the side plates are designed. Some short, some long, some up and some down. The rest looks pretty much the same. Would be interesting to know why there were such differences. Its not like the setup was on the market long enough for it to evolve that many times.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Maybe they were breaking in the same spot, and angled the rear of the rails down to combat that...

Anyways, it was shipped and I will get it in a few days. Cant wait to check it out.

Tracking says its at my house. That was keewick! So much for overpriced shipping lol. Cant wait till I am done working. Considering blowing off the next 3 hrs of work to go get my grubby little hands on it.

Reaper, So far, the options I can see from your album are the rear sway, the belcrank steering and non cantilever shock mounts. Do you know of any others? I need to make a decision on a restore or custom build. Dont know if I have the patience for a restore, but would be cool to put together an era correct model with 90's pede stock parts. On the other hand, a full custom build would be much fun, and probably cheaper...

This is clearly the version I got, and mine is drilled for the bellcranks:
    Last edited by rag6; 02-07-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Wow that was quick !!
    What motor/esc you using
    Is it a heavy truck?

Dont know how heavy, not home yet. I have a few options with motors. If I restore, it will have a stinger with xl1 esc, plastic gears, orig pede chevrons, plastic links etc... Custom, I could do anything, but am leaning toward a brushed setup. Dont want this thing to fast...

An electrify s600 could work well for a motor...
    Last edited by rag6; 02-07-2013 at 10:42 PM.

RC Champion
    For options there were the cantilevers, front and rear roll bars, bell crank, extended front hubs (I think), some delrin strips (needed to put the thing together) and I believe it didn't ship with the parts needed to mount the body mounts.

As to how to build it I vote old skool parts with modern electronics. Something like this.

RPM arms (black)
    RPM trans case (black)
    RPM front bumper (Stampede black)
    Aluminum caster blocks (black)
    Extended aluminum front carriers
    Sealed diff (for the MT spinning action)
    Stock skid plates
    2.2 wheels and tires (Masher on revolvers)

For the electronics I would go with what ever you prefer. But I would say not to put to powerful of a motor in it.

I believe the battery cups should be pretty standard. But they look like some from AE. And that company you linked to should be able to make a carbon fiber hold down with ease. You could even do it if you dont mind the lung killing dust. If you want to run roll bars it shouldn't be to hard to make some with piano wire. And I would stick with piggy back shocks and the cantilevers. Also I believe the bell crank used T-Maxx arms and a custom delrin tie bar. For the arms it looks like you need two of (4943) and coming up with a tie bar shouldn't be to hard.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Overall it is pretty clean and except for the broken rear chassis parts, is solid and in very good shape. The graphite is in excellent condition with no splitting/cracking
    The alum/jato arms are going to go.
    A full modern trans was included.
    The shocks and tires/rims/extensions are junk.
    Rear shocks on ft and vice versa.
    Think I will stick with the cantilevers, but the bushings are plastic. Need to find some metal bushings or bearings.
    The hardware is all self tapping screws, and will need replaced.

There are 3 cf parts- 2 long side rails and the chassis. This version is extended 2" over stock.
    3 alum parts are the cab, and the 2 chassis supports that hold the body mounts.
    2 delrin side rails extend the length of the chassis and hold the 3 cf parts together.
    Its got some crazy c blocks I have never seen before.

The chassis is too long for an hpi jeep rubicon body.
    I dont think I will need to reproduce the side rails, just trim the broken parts off.
    I want to experiment with some belcrank pieces I have, and may be able to use the slash 4x4 crank.

Wonder if I could find a correct scale v8 to stick between the ft chassis rails. There is so much room to be had inside the cab and between the rails.

I will see if I can maybe get some closer pics up of what is going on. This is gonna be fun!

EDIT: To answer an earlier question, it is very light. Weighs much less than it looks like.
    Last edited by rag6; 02-08-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Wow that was quick !!
    What motor/esc you using
    Is it a heavy truck?
    It is very light. much lighter than it looks.

What's wrong with the tires and rims?

RC Champion
    For the body you might need to use one of the Savage XL bodies if its that long. If that's the case its a bit sad as there are not many to choose from. The wheel base of a Savage XL is "15.74" (400mm) wheels on-center front-to-rear".

As to the c blocks they could be extenda blocks. They were extended delrin c blocks made by Thunder Tech to even out the suspension.

Oderint Dum Metuant

That is them alright. They were modified to fit the jato arms and ruined for standard pede arms. What a shame...

RC Champion
    What did the guy do to them? They are delrin so they may still be useable.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

I post pics when I get a chance. They were cut out at the lower mount. Why, I have no idea, because then the guy put washers in to take up the missing material. I may be able to use them, but about 40% of the material that supports the lower suspension pin is missing. The only bummer so far from the purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    What's wrong with the tires and rims?
    The tires treads were cut, He started to go with every other tread, but then cut off 2 in a row and screwed it up. They are already in the garbage truck, plus I will use either 17mm or 12mm hexes. Not too many options with the 14mm hexes. There were only 2 14mm extensions included, and bolt holes are stripped out. Basically will pull off every thing down to the thundertech parts and start over.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I vote for a sweet brushed monster. Thats so cool man. Would an Emaxx body fit? I have a brand new HPI Jeep cherokee body here sized for an emaxx ive never used.

You could do a protrac kit and some traxxas aluminum at the wheels.... that would get you good width and it would be strong. Maybe try mounting the electronics up front or something different than standard.

I wish I could find one of these. There was actually a brand new one at a hobby shop here in ontario a few years ago. Guy wanted $500 for just the chassis. I looked at it but there as no way I was goign to pay more for the chassis than the whole truck costs new.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ