RC Enthusiast

C rating question

All of traxxas Lipo are 25c. So why are people on here getting batteries with 50and 60 for stock set ups.i would think if they needed to be that hi traxxas would sell them
    Last edited by daryleb73; 02-03-2013 at 10:33 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    From what I understand, Traxxas batteries under rated... there is not an industry standard for calculating C rating. This opens the doors for manufacturers to under and over state the C rating without any consequence. I would rather any battery company to under promise and over deliver.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    I would think that would set up for a lawsuit

How so?
    With no standard, there is nothing to be held to.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok so I have the vxl. So the would their be any reason to pay for the higher c rating say huger than 25-30c
    Last edited by daryleb73; 02-03-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Which VXL?

RC Enthusiast
    Brushless I think 3800kv motor 1/10 slash

This one?
    http://traxxas.com/products/models/e.../5807Lslashvxl

If so, Traxxas suggests these batteries for that model:
    http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...hvxl-batteries

Also, it has the 3500 system in it... 3500Kv motor with the 3S ESC.
    Here is the page on the ESC:
    http://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/vxl3s
    It is rated for 200 amps continuous... so ideally, you would want a battery that can provide 200 amps continuously.

To calculate the constant discharge rate of your pack
    mAh x minimum discharge C rate / 1,000 = available amps
    For example:
    The same 2200mah 20-40C pack.
    2,200 x 20 / 1000 = 44
    This battery pack can consistently provide up to 44 amps.

Keep in mind that this does not mean you need that many amps. There are only a few ways to know what the amp draw of your system is... the most accurate is for a watt meter to be hooked up while you drive your RC. Another way is to ask others that have tested this in the past.
    Also keep in mind just because any battery states that it has a certain discharge rating, does not mean that it is actually true. There are companies out there (MaxAmps for one) that severely overstates their C ratings. There are companies out there that are very honest about their C ratings. Then there are companies out there that are very conservative with their C ratings.

I have found SPC to be a very honest and reasonably priced company. You do not have to pay more to get more C rating than Traxxas claims for their packs... some are cheaper yet provide a honest higher C rating.

I like a honest pack because my money is honest why not the same in return right? Spc, smc are both good packs rated correctly and traxxas as well. I like a pack to deliver 150amps so I can run it on any system needed or I have.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC poster
    From what i can tell, C stands for the minmal discharge rate
    and c (Yes There is lower case and upper case difference) is the minimal charge rate

RC Enthusiast
    Check out the BigSquidRC site they have done a few LiPo shootouts.... so far the results have been the most expensive packs often do perform better, but each test also shows a low to mid priced pack that ranks in the top 3. As a general rule the higher the C rating, the higher the price so that is one reason you don't see 70C Traxxas packs... but with their buying power who knows for the future. It seems that the big race boat Spartan is really amp hungry as well as the "100 mph" supercar. Anything running the VXL Brushless system is pretty safe to say what Traxxas tested these packs with and were happy with the results.
    3905 Emaxx