RC Competitor

Best RC Car for a 3 year old? Step Below Hobby Grade?

I currently have the VXL Rustler and even with the training mode and me "Hands-On" with my son, it's not successful...We always end up breaking things.

I've looked at Toys R Us and other Big Box Stores.....

I'm looking for something between Those $20.00 Target Cars and Hobby Grade like Traxxas.....
    I can't wait until he can Handle his own vehicle but like I said he's not there yet!!!

RC Champion
    Hey ChargerFan -- sorry about your season. FWIW, I'm a Bills fan...

It would actually be cheaper in the long run to buy him a used, brushed hobby grade Traxxas car like the 1/16 Slash 4x4 ($125-175); still keeping it on training mode; upgrading to RPM parts as you break em...than it would be to get a cheaper car with non-replaceable parts.

The thing is, if you buy him a $25-100 toy at Radio Shack and it breaks, you're out all that money with no chance of fixing it.

The Traxxas cars are going to be tougher than non-hobby grade for sure. A better investment, IMO!

Just my $.02
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    Hey ChargerFan -- sorry about your season. FWIW, I'm a Bills fan...

It would actually be cheaper in the long run to buy him a used, brushed hobby grade Traxxas car like the 1/16 Slash 4x4 ($125-175); still keeping it on training mode; upgrading to RPM parts as you break em...than it would be to get a cheaper car with non-replaceable parts.

The thing is, if you buy him a $25-100 toy at Radio Shack and it breaks, you're out all that money with no chance of fixing it.

The Traxxas cars are going to be tougher than non-hobby grade for sure. A better investment, IMO!

Just my $.02
    I totally agree. Get a rustler xl-5 and put it on training mode.
    PERFECT beginners car. It will be about half as fast as the vxl on training mode.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC poster
    Before I upgraded my 2wd pede to brushless I would put it in training mode and let my 2 year old drive it he loved it now that I run brushless he's afraid of it I'm gonna have to find a used rustler with an xl-5 for him

RC Qualifier
    I agree I have a 4yr old that just now turned 4 I put it in training (its a brushless) and take it out in the yard we sit down together and she loves it, most of the time I still control the throttle and she steers it lol that way if she steers it wrong I can stop it. I will be getting her an xl-5 later this year I think one thats brushless ready so it will grow as she does. Good Times
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    Good excuse to get a summit if you ever have looked at those lol. And in low gear and training mode it's slow as can be and is a lot of fun, my 5 year old daughter plays with it she can only really go forward and turn, she hasnt quite got the brakes, but she is getting the hang of it. Or maybe even a mini summit brushed, I don't know if those esc have training mode though?? Good luck with whatever you do it's so much fun watching my daughter play and its a great way to enjoy yourself as well. God bless and go have some fun.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Champion
    My 7 year old and 10 year olds have brushless traxxas trucks but my 5 year old drives the Carnivore.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    I bought my boy a mini Revo vxl. He will be 4 in march. He drives by himself in training mode and does great. I'll upload a video to show how good he drives. Realy made me proud.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If you were to get him a brushed truck like a mini revo or mini summit, flip the transmission gears (free) and get the lowest possible gearing you can, it will be about as slow as a toy grade RC from walmart. But, like everyone has said, it will be more durable and it can be fixed where the toy grade can only be thrown out.
    Dont waste your money.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Just put a spacer in behind the throttle trigger until u find a speed that works well and tape it in place. Between that and training mode it should be easier for them to controll.