RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

Unhappy with the QR-1

So I've had the QR-1 since Christmas. Since then I've had two motors go out. Sent it back to Traxxas for repair. Got it back after a while. Two motors out again! The bottom of the motors seemed to be cracked after doing the armature adjustment. Are they that weak that they'll crack just from the pliers? The wires look slightly crushed as well. I'm getting pretty frustrated with this this thing. Anyone else? From what I've done with it so far, it seems like it flies great for a couple minutes and is just a piece of junk the rest of the time. Any thoughts?

RC poster
    i got mine today and 1 moter went out in like 15 min

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It is unfortunate to hear of people having problems with a new or relatively new QR-1.
    I guess I have been lucky with mine in that it has close to 50 flights on it now and the only problems so far have been replacing two rear rotor blades. One from an impact with a piece of furniture and the other from our wild & crazy Jack Russell Terrier taking the QR-1 out of the air with a mighty 5' vertical leap. in all honesty I did place small felt-like pads on the bottom of each motor pod before the heli was ever flown. I did this after reading of motor wire failures and I am certain these little pieces of felt have saved the motor wires thus far.

RC Enthusiast
    I understand your frustration I have replaced all the motors on my qr1 within a couple of flights however when I opened up the old motors I realized they were wired backwards by the manufacturer and turning the wrong direction the motors were turning into the brushes instead of away from them THIS IS NOT GOOD since I changed the wiring I have went thru about 50 charges with no problems

RC poster
    my qr-1 motor is acting up so im am going to make a fome gard and hot glue it on. ware do you get qr-1 motors?

RC Qualifier
    I sent it in but I think you can order them. Try BuyTraxxas.

Quote Originally Posted by rc nitro junkie View Post
    I understand your frustration I have replaced all the motors on my qr1 within a couple of flights however when I opened up the old motors I realized they were wired backwards by the manufacturer and turning the wrong direction the motors were turning into the brushes instead of away from them THIS IS NOT GOOD since I changed the wiring I have went thru about 50 charges with no problems
    I would have contacted Traxxas Customer Service on this immediately... That would fall under warranty..
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC poster
    I've had great luck with my QR-1! I've broken it, sure, but it was because of user error. Great little quad. There's bound to be a few lemons out there that snuck by QC.

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas had no parts or complete birds of any kind when mine went bad so sending it in was not an option traxxas did send me some motors as soon as they were available about 4 weeks later I found some motors on line soldered them in myself in about 5 minutes so I had no need to send it back and wait forever

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Traxxas has excellent customer service. I sent mine back after about 15 flights as the board just stopped working all together. No other broken parts at all, just stopped operating. They replaced the whole unit with a brand new bird. Unfortunately, I cant see myself owning one again until I see an improvement in average quality. But it sure was fun while it lasted.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I have exactly the same opinion.

QR-1 is the 4th aircraft I have owned and by far my most favorite and the one that has given me the least amount of problems or break downs. I have flown it a LOT,,so much I have worn out the original packs and bought two more and they are close to the end of their life. I just now had one motor fail and it was a simple job to replace it. Compared to the other aircraft I have owned and the numerous ones my son owns and flies the QR-1 is hands down the most durable and best bang for the buck. Just my opinion on the matter.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    It is unfortunate to hear of people having problems with a new or relatively new QR-1.
    I guess I have been lucky with mine in that it has close to 50 flights on it now and the only problems so far have been replacing two rear rotor blades. One from an impact with a piece of furniture and the other from our wild & crazy Jack Russell Terrier taking the QR-1 out of the air with a mighty 5' vertical leap. in all honesty I did place small felt-like pads on the bottom of each motor pod before the heli was ever flown. I did this after reading of motor wire failures and I am certain these little pieces of felt have saved the motor wires thus far.
    I did the same thing, I don't know why they would sell them all exposed like that
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC poster
    I've got to agree that these things are faulty. I've gone through 2 motors on mine now. This thing has been down more than it has been flown, i've only been able to get 3 flights out of mine. The newest motor that traxxas sent me appears to have a cup for the bottom of it, so hopefully this will help with the armature issue. They also strongly encouraged me in an email that parts would be available at my local hobby shop and I should now look there for motors. I checked with my hobby shop on 2-13-13 and they still had no parts as they were still on order from traxxas. I would like to get more of the armature protectors if they become available separately. They really do need better quality control on these though, or better engineering.

RC Qualifier
    do he motors go out because the wires are loose or do they just die?

RC Qualifier
    I think they just die like the servos un the MERV.

RC poster
    I have about 100 flights with my quad, I just put a new set of blades one her, and other the braking one of the wires off a motor bc of a crash, she is still flying strong!! I soldered the wire and its as good as new.

RC Qualifier
    I'll try that

Quote Originally Posted by funnya1b2c3 View Post
    I think they just die like the servos un the MERV.
    All non-rebuildable motors die. Period.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    After two motors.... I did the straw mod where you place a shim under the blade to prevent the shaft from being driven down. I wish people and their lack of ability would stop bad mouthing these things. Saying I broke a prop/motor and your upset is like saying my Spartan sucks doing flips or my revo was destroyed when it ran full speed into a wall... These models have an intended propose and crashing is not one of them. You don't see revo guys crying when they snap an A-arm do you?

RC Champion
    Ya we all love this thing Extremely durable and well worth the price I have 3 of them waiting for me when I get home BNIB for $90 shipped for all 3 RTF. I bought about $50 in spares to keep them in the air LOL. I have another 6 quads to (can't name them here LOL)
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Qualifier
    I have a mini revo. I've broken plenty of a arms. I've broken stuff in flips. I've crashed it into walls and destroyed the entire front end. I didn't get upset. Just look at my signature. I simply don't consider it acceptable to sell stuff that burns out for no reason. If it needs felt on the bottom of the motors or a shim mod, it should be done by THE FACTORY. I consider Traxxas to be the best. They need that to remain true on the QR-1. That said, I'm giving Traxxas a second chance. I have a question pending about trading in the QR-1 for a DR-1. If not, I'll send it in and get the thing fixed up and sell it and get a DR-1 EZ-Connect.
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.