Thread: big tires?

RC poster

big tires?

Anyone running big 2.8 trenchers on there Rustler VXL? Wondering if I need to change gearing. I've run the car once so far and the bigger tires are awesome, just concerned about proper gears to avoid overheating.

RC Champion
    What battery are you using and to be safe I would lower it to say Xl-5 stock gearing. 19/86. Might be safe as is if your only running 2s lipo and have alum tranny. But hey it's winter great time to test temps
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

I ran those on my Rustler/Bandit. If I remember well, those are 20% higher in diameter compared to the stock tires, so you either got increase the size of your spur with 20% or decrease the pinion size with 20% to end up with the same roll out (to make sure the motor makes the same RPM at a certain speed).
    So if you use a 28T pinion, you got to decrease 5.6T to a 23T or 21T (or 22T if you can find one).

Hope that makes sense.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Champion
    Those tires ballon a lot more too. They can get up to around 8-9 inches tall at speed on a 3S battery.

I ran a set on my rustler at stock gearing on 2S lipo with no overheating issues. 21/83 produced the best results though. I could run 3S consistently with that gearing, but I don't have a heavy trigger finger.

If you do run trenchers all around with a 3S battery, be sure to loosen that slipper clutch some. Otherwise the extra strain on the transmission might break the roll pin on the slipper clutch shaft, break a driveshaft component, or strip your spur gear.

Also, those big tires up front will rub against the body when you turn. You'll probably have to trim it some. What about putting something thinner up front, like badlands?

RC poster
    [QUTE=AZ Racer X;5412330]What battery are you using and to be safe I would lower it to say Xl-5 stock gearing. 19/86. Might be safe as is if your only running 2s lipo and have alum tranny. But hey it's winter great time to test temps [/QUOTE]

Using a 2s 6000mah 30c lipo. My current gearing is 31/76, bought it used and thats what came on the car. Newbie with rc cars, so the gearing is intimidating.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    Those tires ballon a lot more too. They can get up to around 8-9 inches tall at speed on a 3S battery.

I ran a set on my rustler at stock gearing on 2S lipo with no overheating issues. 21/83 produced the best results though. I could run 3S consistently with that gearing, but I don't have a heavy trigger finger.

If you do run trenchers all around with a 3S battery, be sure to loosen that slipper clutch some. Otherwise the extra strain on the transmission might break the roll pin on the slipper clutch shaft, break a driveshaft component, or strip your spur gear.

Also, those big tires up front will rub against the body when you turn. You'll probably have to trim it some. What about putting something thinner up front, like badlands?
    No rubbing at all, the front wheels have a different offset than the rear. Loosened the clutch already, to be safe. I have a 28/83 combo I could try.

RC Champion
    Yes I know they have a different offset. When you turn all the way left or right, the tire can hit the stock body. The traxxas talon tires do it too.

RC Champion
    IMO that gearing is still to high even for 2s but you can give it a shot and see how it goes. Please buy a temp gun to monitor your motor and ESC temps though.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Racer X View Post
    IMO that gearing is still to high even for 2s but you can give it a shot and see how it goes. Please buy a temp gun to monitor your motor and ESC temps though.
    Yes, the gearing does seem high, gonna switch for a 25/83 or 28/83. Just need to figure out how to get the set srew loose on the pinion gear, guy I bought car from somehow stripped out.

RC poster
    I have mine 23/83 with trenchers and mine stays around 110-120 with a 3s lipo. I got a FLM tranny case though.

RC Enthusiast
    GET THE TRENCHERS!!! 19/86 Gearing is fine, thats what im running. if your worried about ballooning, duct tape the insides of the tires before you glue em. I taped mine and I get barely any ballooning now running a 3s lipo