RC poster

Replaced dead servo with non Traxxas part

Hello fellow Traxxas fans, thanks for reading.

My steering servo died on my Rustler VXL, part 2075. Our local hobby shops didn't have the correct Traxxas part, they said they could order it within about a week, but if you are like me you will understand that is a very long time to not play with my toy. Sooo long story short I bought a "New power - XLD38HMB" digital servo It fits OK (had to widen a hole, but I think that must be normal), the cable is a little shorter than I would like but it works.

My question is... Is this a good servo to be using or should I get the Traxxas one? Is there a Traxxas upgrade servo to the 2075 that will fit?

I am very new to this hobby, I hope I don't sound stupid.

Thanks very much.

RC Qualifier
    You'll get more choice with the non-Traxxas servos, I've never run a Traxxas servo in my Traxxas if that answers your question about having to get the Traxxas part

The 2075 is not that fast, in fact, its quite slow in the whole scheme of things. But it is waterproof, that's its main selling point! The other nice thing about the Traxxas 2075 is that it is easy to get gear sets for it if you strip it.

A great place to check out servo specs is http://www.servodatabase.com , not everything is there, but a great deal is.

The servo you bought seems to have a good spec, and it is a metal geared servo which should be a great improvement over the Traxxas 2075 in terms of toughness!!! Here are the specs: http://www.fliegerlandshop.de/shop/R...HMB::3239.html

They seem to indicate that it is a bit quicker and a bit stronger than the Traxxas 2075 as well. You are lacking the waterproofing though... Which wouldn't worry me much as I've never waterproofed a servo in my life and I've raced in the wet plenty.

I'd stay with the new servo rather than reverting to a more expensive, slower, and weaker Traxxas servo.

PS: I run a cheap metal geared servos like yours in my cars too. My servo of choice now is the ultra budget Alturn USA AAS-752MG. It is darn quick (0.09 secs) and metal geared... I can't complain at all http://www.alturn-usa.com/products/PDF/AAS-752MG.pdf
    Last edited by cunawarit; 02-06-2013 at 03:24 AM.

RC poster
    Hi cunawarit

Thanks for that info that was awesome.

I Don't like standing in the rain much so I usually avoid the wet, I think I will stick with what I have for now and maybe try one of those ones you use when the new one karks it.

Thanks very much

RC Qualifier
    No worries

Hopefully the new one shouldn't die so easy, it has metal gears so it should take a fair bit more punishment... should To behonest I know very little about that servo you got other than the specs I found.

RC poster

Forgot to mention the cable.

I took the 2075 apart because I saw a video on you tube that showed a guy who sprayed cleaner on the circuit board and said he got it to work again. He failed to mention the fact that if you unscrew the servo cover, the other end with the cogs will fall apart. I should have thought about it better I guess, the servo was clearly the problem so no problem there anyway.

It is great fun, I am gonna try and put the old servo back together, it is tricky..

The servo cable runs under the battery pack now, it is only just long enough. I was a bit worried about heat and pressure...

Thanks again mate
    Last edited by Slushpuppy; 02-06-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention the cable.