RC poster

Question Going to buy Traxxas VXL 2wd for fun, what spare parts should I also buy?

Going to buy Traxxas VXL 2wd for fun, what spare parts should I also buy?

I am new to RC cars.
    I would not use this car to race but just for fun on pavement and grass.

I would assume nerf bars, perhaps shocks, better charger, spare battery type???,skid plate, bumpers if such exists..

A list of parts that normally break and for me to have onhand would be helpful. I realize I will need a toolkit, a brush to clean off car, perhaps compressed air...

Obviously I could use some help.

Thanks in advance.
    Peter

RC Qualifier
    I'm fairly new also I upgraded to the vxl system and w/ that I bought a 2s lipo w/ a nimh/lipo balancing charger which takes less than an hour to charge instead of waiting 6-8hours for the stock charger, as far as parts I waited till something broke which first was a-arm my bro slammed into a curb so I went w/ rpm a-arms which is a must, other than that everything stock holds up good, only thing I went w/ pro line hardened steel hinge pin set cause the stock ones bend easily

RC Qualifier
    oh yea also IMO a velineon esc cooling fan is a big help and stock shocks shafts bend easily, my first day jumping probably 5-6ft in the air I bent 2 shock shafts, I recently ordered traxxas big bore shocks which I hear good things about and on ebay I got em 42$ free of shipping and free tax but if you got money I hear proline powerstrokes are really good at 72$ on ebay, my next upgrade is new wheels and tires

RC Qualifier
    There are lots of parts available for the slash all different manufacturers but you might consider picking up some caster blocks/ caster pins because they are also a "weak" point on the truck and the stock bumper is fine but if you really want a different one look at RPM

RC poster
    Thanks very much. May I ask the brand of charger you bought and the mah and type of battery (brand ) you also purchased?
    What are part numbers for perhaps the caster blocks/pins as well as the hardened steel hinge set (unless they are the same thing)?
    Do I need a hold down thingy for the battery?

Thanks!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I would get a better charger (for lipo), you need two lipo batteries, I would get a couple different gears, to be able to adjust gearing for different conditions, and a decent tool kit. From there just drive it till something breaks.

RC poster
    Any suggestion on charger brand, charger battery and mah lipos and extra gear to replace stock gear-not different gear?.
    Thanks
    Peter

RC Champion
    Hey, welcome to the forums. The Slash includes an extra pinion (small drive gear) that allows for higher gearing (faster top speed). Between that and the stock gearing, you should be set for a while.

As far as a good LiPo charger goes, you really can't beat the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus 6 amp. It's a two port charger allowing you to charge and balance two packs at once:

http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-2933-E...s+ez+peak+plus

For the 2WD Slash, a 5700 mah Duratrax Onyx 25C battery will do nicely (that's what I run in my 4x4 Slash, and it's got plenty of juice) :

http://www.amazon.com/DuraTrax-Onyx-...trax+onyx+5700
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pcumming View Post
    Any suggestion on charger brand, charger battery and mah lipos and extra gear to replace stock gear-not different gear?.
    Thanks
    Peter
    Welcome and you will find guys on here are willingly to help and brilliant when it comes to the slash...so much too learn about this addiction/hobby it's crazy.

I have 245 onyx charger 5 amps of power (overkill if its just you and a basher....but i have kids and friends over so it helps) to charge 2 lipos at the same time and I have friends with a 150 onyx 235 onyx and traxxas ez peak plus (charges big mah lipos cheaply from what i understand) each charge lipos just the speed and options is the difference. Biggest draw for me to onyx was plug and play easy. Check ebay. Both onyx and traxxas ex peak don't have a lot of bells and whistles and charging programming compared to the crazy chargers I have seen. But ease of use and efficiency is my goal.

Here is a little old review that I have found helpful... The newer versions just have more options from what I researched.

I have both venom and SPC hard case lipos. I like the SPC more and the price too. Especially if you are a basher.

Charger review
    http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-batte...rger-shootout/

Battery link

http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=121

I would also recommend as you go to get:

Rpm a arms
    Rpm steering blocks
    Strc castors
    Strc hex for the axels, less slop in my opinion and they don't fall off when you take off your wheels

I just ordered big bore shocks as I two have blown out and rebuilt my stockers 1 too many times in the past month alone. You will also need tires. Such a difference from the stock. And too boot, a buddy of mine gave me pre mounted duratrax tires. I didn't even now they made them. They have blue lettering on the side, hideous looking, but night and day performance and they are not even good.
    Last edited by Next perce; 02-03-2013 at 08:34 AM.

RC poster
    A great help. Thank you so much
    Peter

RC poster
    Definitely the onyx I have the 235 but the 245 is also a great charger! if you look over other post Onyx will come up many of times. I was going to buy a cheaper lipo charger but you have to look and realize this is part of the powerhouse for your truck and why buy cheaper for it to only break in a few weeks..I just started to use spc lipo's and have had nothing but good things from it. The customer service there is also very helpful in regards to choosing the battery right for your environment( race/bash/howlong for run time)

RC Champion
    The traxxas ex peak plus charger is not a dual charger. It charges one battery at a time. It's the same as the hitec x1.

RC Enthusiast

Talking

I have had a Slash for a year now and i just got done building one for my son. First thing i did was get the pro line chassis saver and RPM shock tower. I have not snapped a chassis jumping the saver works. For $12 the saver saves you from snapping a chassis and then needing to take the whole truck apart. I lost the original rear shock tower launching my truck in cold weather. Once you see and compare the stock vs thr RPM you'll swap it out for the $$ and piece of mind. Will you race at a track indoor or outdoor? I didnt think i would race at a track, but I did. I broke more things at the track then in the local school yard playin around. If your racing a track with clay surface you WILL need new tires. I found that to be a big help. Save your $$$ and beat the stock tires outside having fun, they're fine for that. Get a tackle box at the local sporting good store for your tools and extra parts. I've had the same one for over 25 yrs. I 've replaced broken parts with RPM stuff. It works and for the $$$ you cant beat it. I'm not nice to my truck and drive like I stole it. I do TRY to make it as durable as possible.
    As for my charger, i have a Tenergy TB6. If you look around most of the cheaper chargers are the same thing just in a different box. Tenergy at all-battery.com have the charger with the "octopus" multi connector and wall plug for $52 plus shipping. It will charge all battery types. I have 2 oh the 7 cell 8.4V 5000mah Nimh Tenergy packs. I broke mine in nice and after ayear still take the full 5000mah charge. These packs are $30 plus shipping. The Tenergy TB6 will charge the packs in 62mins at 5 amps. I have not jumped on the lipo band wagon as of yet. I dont really care to pull wheelies and i feel once i change I'll be breaking other things with the extra power, so I'll stay old school with my batteries...for now
    Last edited by Adrock2370; 02-04-2013 at 12:25 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks, great info.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrock2370 View Post
    I have had a Slash for a year now and i just got done building one for my son. First thing i did was get the pro line chassis saver and RPM shock tower. I have not snapped a chassis jumping the saver works. For $12 the saver saves you from snapping a chassis and then needing to take the whole truck apart. I lost the original rear shock tower launching my truck in cold weather. Once you see and compare the stock vs thr RPM you'll swap it out for the $$ and piece of mind. Will you race at a track indoor or outdoor? I didnt think i would race at a track, but I did. I broke more things at the track then in the local school yard playin around. If your racing a track with clay surface you WILL need new tires. I found that to be a big help. Save your $$$ and beat the stock tires outside having fun, they're fine for that. Get a tackle box at the local sporting good store for your tools and extra parts. I've had the same one for over 25 yrs. I 've replaced broken parts with RPM stuff. It works and for the $$$ you cant beat it. I'm not nice to my truck and drive like I stole it. I do TRY to make it as durable as possible.
    As for my charger, i have a Tenergy TB6. If you look around most of the cheaper chargers are the same thing just in a different box. Tenergy at all-battery.com have the charger with the "octopus" multi connector and wall plug for $52 plus shipping. It will charge all battery types. I have 2 oh the 7 cell 8.4V 5000mah Nimh Tenergy packs. I broke mine in nice and after ayear still take the full 5000mah charge. These packs are $30 plus shipping. The Tenergy TB6 will charge the packs in 62mins at 5 amps. I have not jumped on the lipo band wagon as of yet. I dont really care to pull wheelies and i feel once i change I'll be breaking other things with the extra power, so I'll stay old school with my batteries...for now
    Chassis for what have LAUNCHED mine many times have yet to see an issue other then a few stupid things all my fault
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Enthusiast
    ?...but you didnt help pcumming on what parts he should buy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrock2370 View Post
    ?...but you didnt help pcumming on what parts he should buy
    thats an all stock truck jumped many times 20 feet high still looking for the broken parts i guess mine was made on a wednesday
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Qualifier
    Alum Caster are a must... 3632X or 3632A
    >Shock Caps are a good idea.. 3767A or 3767X
    Titanium Nitride-coated Shock Shaft 1664T AND 2656T <
    Or just get big bores Shocks

Stock Tires are just awful.. Trenchers are a good Grass/Pavement tire.
    Stock Bumper is pretty good, though some like the RPM bumper
    Battery Tray Expansion Kit 5827X
    RPM ARMS
    Lipo battery from SPC Racing
    Bashing on grass I would gear it down to a 21T or 19T
    Last edited by No One; 02-06-2013 at 07:33 PM.
    Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4 Monster Mutt

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Next perce View Post

Such a difference from the stock. And too boot, a buddy of mine gave me pre mounted duratrax tires. I didn't even now they made them. They have blue lettering on the side, hideous looking, but night and day performance and they are not even good.
    Lockups???
    Wondered how they were.
    Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4 Monster Mutt