Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4

    new to electric, bought a used slash

    I bought a used slash with mamba max and 4800kv motor on it. the venom 6400mah 3cell lypo(venom part # 15009) it came with is puffy on one side so ive been told its fubar. wondering what kind of ratings I should be looking for to run this happily. i just bash, no intention to ever race. also it had 13/90 gearing on it, but the spur was fubar from previos owner having the pinion setup with the set screw in the mesh lol. I have a spare 83 tooth, will 13/83 be ok for playing around? or big risk of meltdown?

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,314
    I would go closer to 19 -83 48p,and a 40c 2s 5000mah lipo
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,875
    13/83 and 13/90 would be for running 3S lipo at racing speeds. I think you'd be fine with 13/83 on 3S. You might run a little hot, but just check your motor every so often.

    But, if you get a 2S lipo, then you'll need to go up around 19/83.

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,314
    This sight is easy to navigate and pretty accurate. Any time you push a slash past 50mph things can happen.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    This sight is easy to navigate and pretty accurate. Any time you push a slash past 50mph things can happen.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
    And from what we understand you speak from the position of experience in regard to "things can haapen."

    good luck with your truck Crazy!

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,314
    My personal experience with the sight,and a gps, was with in 4 mph. That was with my friend driving his car,and I my slash.At 50,I started having trouble keeping the truck straight,so we stooped.The gps said 54mph,the car speed o said 50mph.Close enough for me.
    And at the above gearing 13 83 on 3s and 19 83 on 2s,will both put you around the 30 mph ,witch is faster than you think,the vxl comes with 23 86 gearing,putting it at about 40 mph on 2s,and 57 on 3s. Give or take 5mph.
    Be warned,my fastest gps recorded speed was 72mph,It took a while to pick up the pieces.
    Below is a pic of a Robinson racing Hardened steel gear set up I run sc,it is set at 12-56, 32p gears,top speed about 30mph,but our in door track is to small to get that fast.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by Next perce View Post
    And from what we understand you speak from the position of experience in regard to "things can haapen."

    good luck with your truck Crazy!
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    220
    I was referring to your crash. I read one of your posts about how you hit 70 mph and it took flight into a building a 250 bucks later your rig was back together again. It was a great description I felt like I was there when I read. I myself am just beginning to learn about gearing. I am a basher amd have no tracks in the area except for a street coarse, myself and some friends have found a spot to build a track but we are just in planning stages).

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,314
    Oh yea Like I said,I wasn't crying,it was the wind in my eyes.lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Next perce View Post
    I was referring to your crash. I read one of your posts about how you hit 70 mph and it took flight into a building a 250 bucks later your rig was back together again. It was a great description I felt like I was there when I read. I myself am just beginning to learn about gearing. I am a basher amd have no tracks in the area except for a street coarse, myself and some friends have found a spot to build a track but we are just in planning stages).
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4
    im just in the process of complete disassembling and re-assembling it right now to clean everything and inspect for existing damage from previos owner. had to dissect the transmission to replace the freaken roll pin inside that engages the top gear, what a joke having a **** ant roll pin to engage the top gear. that and hobby shop wants $5 for the entire shaft, since I was in no hurry I just took it to work and dug out the box of 1/16 roll pins and stuck a new one in then trimmed it to length to keep it out of the gear teeth. if I blow it up myself i'll probally heat the top gear then apply liquid metal to the shaft before intalling the top gear on the shaft(heat will expand it so it slide over top of the liquid metal).


    anyway just put the tranny back together and motor on it, 13/83 48p doesn't work anyway unless I can hog out the slot and theres room to move the motor over any further, I don't know much about mesh but I do know its not close enough yet. just trying to get it drivable with minimum $$ to see how it does before I start the never ending spending lol.

    Billy Bones ive found a few of your posts, do you have a website of your rc experiences?
    Last edited by Crazyguy; 02-06-2013 at 04:01 AM.

  10. #10
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4
    think ive figured out everything on it now so I guess once I get it back together to test it if it all works I got a good deal. I paid $100 for it with no transmitter, and a puffed 3s lipo. came with mamba max, castle CM36 4600kv motor, some sort of spectrum reciever, hitec 5955tg steering servo, prolines front and back(back are bald though haha), alloy caster blocks.

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,314
    If that's a four pole castle 4600kv,at 13 to 83 on 3s,you are putting the motor near 11 thousand rpm's over its rated 40 thousand max,Watch your temps,to achieve 40 mph. In my opinion I would by a 2s 50c 5000mah lipo,and a four dollar 19 tooth pinion. That will give you 40 mph just watch the heat if your off road or in short grass.That's what you 13 tooth would be good for
    And yes I'm aware it says 100,000 rpm on the side of the motor,so do my 3800kv's,I pushed one to 54 thousand ,it held on quite a while,about the fourth pack the magnets came unglued,new paper weight.
    Sounds like you got a good deal,hope you have a lot of fun.
    This hobby seems to be an all or nothing deal.You love it and get upsest with it,or a few times and your board.
    Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyguy View Post
    think ive figured out everything on it now so I guess once I get it back together to test it if it all works I got a good deal. I paid $100 for it with no transmitter, and a puffed 3s lipo. came with mamba max, castle CM36 4600kv motor, some sort of spectrum reciever, hitec 5955tg steering servo, prolines front and back(back are bald though haha), alloy caster blocks.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  12. #12
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    If that's a four pole castle 4600kv,at 13 to 83 on 3s,you are putting the motor near 11 thousand rpm's over its rated 40 thousand max,Watch your temps,to achieve 40 mph. In my opinion I would by a 2s 50c 5000mah lipo,and a four dollar 19 tooth pinion. That will give you 40 mph just watch the heat if your off road or in short grass.That's what you 13 tooth would be good for
    And yes I'm aware it says 100,000 rpm on the side of the motor,so do my 3800kv's,I pushed one to 54 thousand ,it held on quite a while,about the fourth pack the magnets came unglued,new paper weight.
    Sounds like you got a good deal,hope you have a lot of fun.
    This hobby seems to be an all or nothing deal.You love it and get upsest with it,or a few times and your board.
    Good luck.
    im pretty sure the CM36 4600kv is 2 pole. and the like I said the 3S lipo I have is puffed on one side and everyone thats seen it has been crazy scared of it so its sitting outside till I decide what to do with it. weird one is when I measure the voltage its showing just under 4 volts from the main plug, but when I check via the balance plug all 3 cells show 3.85, im tempted to bring a face sheild home from work and open it up to see whats wrong with it. if one cell is fubar wonder if I could make a 2S out of it
    Last edited by Crazyguy; 02-06-2013 at 09:45 PM.

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. kdvanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grassie Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyguy View Post
    im pretty sure the CM36 4600kv is 2 pole. and the like I said the 3S lipo I have is puffed on one side and everyone thats seen it has been crazy scared of it so its sitting outside till I decide what to do with it. weird one is when I measure the voltage its showing just under 4 volts from the main plug, but when I check via the balance plug all 3 cells show 3.85, im tempted to bring a face sheild home from work and open it up to see whats wrong with it. if one cell is fubar wonder if I could make a 2S out of it
    You are right
    It's a two pole

    The cm36 motors were what castle had before there current 4-poles
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,314
    You be fine then the two poles take twice the rpm's,I run my velineons at 46 thousand all day with no trouble,and their rated at 50 thousand max they just get hotter.
    I have a three cell that I thought was a bit puffy,but it's a soft case,everyone said it was fine,had it been a hard case i never would have noticed. I'm not saying yours is OK,in fact you got a good enough deal you can dump it and still be ahead.
    Can you get pic's of the lipo and post them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyguy View Post
    im pretty sure the CM36 4600kv is 2 pole. and the like I said the 3S lipo I have is puffed on one side and everyone thats seen it has been crazy scared of it so its sitting outside till I decide what to do with it. weird one is when I measure the voltage its showing just under 4 volts from the main plug, but when I check via the balance plug all 3 cells show 3.85, im tempted to bring a face sheild home from work and open it up to see whats wrong with it. if one cell is fubar wonder if I could make a 2S out of it
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •