Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    It does matter how much mah billy. A 4k mah 30c batt can only supply 120amp cont. a 5k 30c can supply 150amp cont. research lipos better mah is also important when choosing a battery I promise.

LOL, no need to promise,I believe what your saying,but if you do deeper research,you will find the mah is just like a fuel tank,you can get 1500mah lipo with a 40c rating.
    Truth be told,those numbers are usually not all that exact anyway.
    You just said,two lipos with a 30c rating,are putting out a 30 amp difference.
    I'll see if I can find Jackly,or some thing like that,but hes job is lipos.
    I'm sure he can do a far better job of explaining it then I.
    And it wouldn't heart me to do a bit more research myself.
    Thanks for the input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
    It does matter how much mah billy. A 4k mah 30c batt can only supply 120amp cont. a 5k 30c can supply 150amp cont. research lipos better mah is also important when choosing a battery I promise.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Champion
    Total battery power is mAh x C. 2000mAh x 30C = 60 amps
    5000mAh x 30C = 150 amps

mAh does make a difference on battery power.

Also, that sidewinder system doesn't pull any more continuous amps than a true 4000mAh 20C lipo can provide. A 4000-5000 mAH 30C battery would be more than enough. Even traxxas's batteries are just 25C, and they pair those with mamba monster 1/8 scale systems.

I know what I forgot, most higher c rated battery's,are also higher mah rated,because as the higher the c rating,the more mah's it has to have to maintain it's constant dispersing rate.
    Is that kinda what you meant?

RC Qualifier
    Mah is Definatly like a gas tank more mah = longer run times. And yea the ratings on battery aren't always accurate as there's no standard for measuring all that stuff.

Yea I heard a group of flyers tried a bunch of different rated battery's,and even the ones with 60+c ratings were really no more than 36c. According to there tests.But my truck runs way better on 65 c than 35c,And I and others on a tight short course have fried lipos with a 25c rating.
    But who really knows what the true rating is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
    Mah is Definatly like a gas tank more mah = longer run times. And yea the ratings on battery aren't always accurate as there's no standard for measuring all that stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    The mah A 4000mah,and a 8000man battery both 30c,will perform the same.
    I think you are wrong there. A 30c 4000mah would give the same performance as an 8000mah 15c. Yes the 8000 will double runtime.

see this:

You can see it says changing from a 4000mah 20c to an 8000mah 20c will give you 5+mph

I tried going by over rated paper charts,that why if i haven't done or seen it,with my own eyes,i wont say it.
    Even tho I have seen that chart many times.I still thank you for your in put,If we never made mistakes ,we would never learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe831 View Post
    I think you are wrong there. A 30c 4000mah would give the same performance as an 8000mah 15c. Yes the 8000 will double runtime.

see this:

You can see it says changing from a 4000mah 20c to an 8000mah 20c will give you 5+mph

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    Total battery power is mAh x C. 2000mAh x 30C = 60 amps
    5000mAh x 30C = 150 amps

mAh does make a difference on battery power.

Also, that sidewinder system doesn't pull any more continuous amps than a true 4000mAh 20C lipo can provide. A 4000-5000 mAH 30C battery would be more than enough. Even traxxas's batteries are just 25C, and they pair those with mamba monster 1/8 scale systems.
    So that Team Orion 2s 4000mah 30c 2s-1p Lipo will do the job for now ?

Oh yea,like I said,the 30c i fried was bad in the first place,I wouldn't go any lower,that's my opinion,but based on real life experience,not a paper chart.
    I'm just saying ,when you upgrade to a 5400mah 50+c you will notice more performance. the esc will give the motor the amp's it needs,if the battery cant supply those amps,it might get warm,(the battery)but i would run mine on that battery with no worries,that's my opinion.
    And personal experience.I don't want to knock anyone else either,their just trying to help.you be so shocked at how much power that things going to have,you'll freak.

Sorry you weren't asking me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDenham View Post

Tho this may be boring,it will teach you all you need to know about lipos
    http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

RC Qualifier
    The mah # is just the gas tank,A 4000mah,and a 8000man battery both 30c,will perform the same,One will just have twice the run time.
    The c rating is how much power the battery can give the motor when it wants it, a50c 2s should have a 100c burst rate(short time power shot)
    That's why a 3800 will run on a 25c,but if you keep asking the battery for more,it cant do it,since it has only a 50c burst rate, and the 3800 likes at least 30c minim ,35c better continuous, that gives you a 60 to 70c burst.
    With a 6500mah 50c,you should get a good 40 minute run,that's running it pretty good.
    This is one of the best and easiest explanations for understanding Lipo batteries I've ever seen. Good job.

RC Champion
    Yep, as long as its in good shape, and it's rated accurately.

That's it in a nut shell. How accurately are they rated.

RC Qualifier
    Seems and looks in good shape.

RC Qualifier
    So last nite I went in on my first soldering job. My LHS was too busy yesterday. I solder them on but the positive one wast holding on we'll and bugged me so I snip the wire off the connector. And re tried. Should be ok right ? The positive wire is a tiny tad shorter then the negative but not by much. Anyways I gotta go but another connector deal to solder on after wk :-/

RC Champion
    The mah # is just the gas tank,A 4000mah,and a 8000man battery both 30c,will perform the same,One will just have twice the run time.
    The c rating is how much power the battery can give the motor when it wants it, a50c 2s should have a 100c burst rate(short time power shot)
    That's why a 3800 will run on a 25c,but if you keep asking the battery for more,it cant do it,since it has only a 50c burst rate, and the 3800 likes at least 30c minim ,35c better continuous, that gives you a 60 to 70c burst.
    With a 6500mah 50c,you should get a good 40 minute run,that's running it pretty good.
    Personally my 6500mah 65c battery's,are what I like running in my cc systems, where the velineon pulls about 65 amp contentious, the 3800's pull around 150 amps ,but 50c will be fine,in fact I often run mine on 35c,the only difference imo,is they don't have that short term punch I like ,or at times need.
    The c rating is based on the capacity of the pack.
    30c 4a can output 120amps continuous.
    30c 8a can output 240amps continuous.
    I run an 8.2a 50c SPC battery, can supply 400+amps continuous with my sidewinder 3 based setup with 4000kv motor.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    The c rating is based on the capacity of the pack.
    30c 4a can output 120amps continuous.
    30c 8a can output 240amps continuous.
    I run an 8.2a 50c SPC battery, can supply 400+amps continuous with my sidewinder 3 based setup with 4000kv motor.
    Those SPC lipos or pretty badass huh ?? I'm gonna order there 7.4 2s 6500mah 50c Lipo this week

RC Qualifier
    Ether the same Lipo above with ether 50c or 55c or 65 c rate. Haven't decided yet

After 50c you won't notice as much notice as much of a performance difference.
    If you have the time,go to the sight on post 51,It will tell you every thing you need to know about lipos,it's a bit long but at the end all your questions will be answered.
    I know people personally who have charged 4000-4 amp lipos,at 8 amps,I would never do it,but i have seen it done.
    And these people are flying,so they have a lot more to lose if they have a power failure.And Like I said,if I haven't done it,or seen it done with my own two eyes,I wont say it.
    Have fun with your truck.You went from a slant 6 to a 454.
    Ether the same Lipo above with ether 50c or 55c or 65 c rate. Haven't decided yet

RC Qualifier
    After 50c you won't notice as much notice as much of a performance difference.
    If you have the time,go to the sight on post 51,It will tell you every thing you need to know about lipos,it's a bit long but at the end all your questions will be answered.
    I know people personally who have charged 4000-4 amp lipos,at 8 amps,I would never do it,but i have seen it done.
    And these people are flying,so they have a lot more to lose if they have a power failure.And Like I said,if I haven't done it,or seen it done with my own two eyes,I wont say it.
    Have fun with your truck.You went from a slant 6 to a 454.
    Sweet thanks dude I haven't had a chance to install my kit yet :-/ the soldering kicked my ***** hahaha. Like I said I got upset on the positive connection that the clip wouldn't slide all the way up so I ended up clipping it off and trying again. So now the
    Positive wire is a tad bit shorter then the negative. Shouldn't effect anything right ??

Notice the clip on the positive side wouldn't slid all the way up :-/

Just be sure when you plug it in it doesn't back out on you,sometimes a bit to much solider gets on them ,and you have to file them down,but you should be OK.

RC Qualifier
    Just be sure when you plug it in it doesn't back out on you,sometimes a bit to much solider gets on them ,and you have to file them down,but you should be OK.
    Oh ok. Ya they gave me a bit of a head ache hahaha. Since it bothers me ill end up cutting the negative wire so it's the same length as the positive hahaha I have a bad thing like that it bugs the crap outta me hahahah

RC Qualifier
    Oh ok. Ya they gave me a bit of a head ache hahaha. Since it bothers me ill end up cutting the negative wire so it's the same length as the positive hahaha I have a bad thing like that it bugs the crap outta me hahahah
    yea but one longer works better when you have to make a curve with it to get it out of the way
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Qualifier
    Saweeet. Thats killer setup. Jang mentioned that was his favorite motor for the slash 2wd...nice choice.
    'Life is for living, not living uptight'

I forgot to tell you,when you put them back in,I put the face down on my little anvil and take a little semi flat head punch,and pop them in place.If your pushing them by hand their a pain in the butt.A couple taps,and they should click in place.
    Sweet thanks dude I haven't had a chance to install my kit yet :-/ the soldering kicked my ***** hahaha. Like I said I got upset on the positive connection that the clip wouldn't slide all the way up so I ended up clipping it off and trying again. So now the
    Positive wire is a tad bit shorter then the negative. Shouldn't effect anything right ??

Notice the clip on the positive side wouldn't slid all the way up :-/

RC Qualifier
    Ya I ended up dropping off the ESC and have my LHS solder it together for me

RC Qualifier
    Finally have some time to get to my toy it begins

RC Qualifier
    Nice man get ready to have some fun, what gearing you going to run w/ the system?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    Nice man get ready to have some fun, what gearing you going to run w/ the system?

I guess the stock 90T - 19p

RC Champion
    You should try soldering 8 gauge wires.

This the connector I put onto the 4s battery my brother purchased.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    yea I started w/ the 16/90 gearing which came w/ my 5803 stock and I used that for awhile w/ my vxl system then moved up to the 23/86 gearing and I'm sticking w/ that for now also on 2s lipo

RC Qualifier
    yea I started w/ the 16/90 gearing which came w/ my 5803 stock and I used that for awhile w/ my vxl system then moved up to the 23/86 gearing and I'm sticking w/ that for now also on 2s lipo
    Gotcha......

RC Qualifier

How tight should the spring be ?

As tight as you want
    Or 1/2 turn from fully tight
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    I tighten mine all the way w/ the t tool that comes w/ your slash then I usually loosen it anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 turn, they say adjust it to the surface you'll be running on the most but that's up to you, you don't want it too tight or you'll stress your gears and cause them to wear out faster then normal and if it's too loose your gears won't catch at all or they'll be slippin too much and IMO you could lose some power from that correct me if I'm wrong, but all together it's fine tuning just a hair could be too tight or too loose

RC Qualifier

Completed. Just took her out and notice some clutch slipping so I tighten it down very snugged and she flys. No wheelies tho I guess since the tires just spin off acceleration.

RC Qualifier
    yea just make sure the slipper isn't to tight like I said around 1/4-1/2 turn out and you'll be good, the reason your probably not getting wheelies is cause your gearing when I was on 16/90 gearing I only got wheelies if there was a slight uphill increase but once I switched to 23/86 gearing and 2s lipo it's wheelies on demand even on downhills

RC Racer
    Is the castle 3800 sidewinder water proof or at least water resistant? I am not looking to ford rivers here but I do come across the occasional mud puddle or two or three or four.

Reading the description and I can't see it anywhere.

RC Qualifier
    yea just make sure the slipper isn't to tight like I said around 1/4-1/2 turn out and you'll be good, the reason your probably not getting wheelies is cause your gearing when I was on 16/90 gearing I only got wheelies if there was a slight uphill increase but once I switched to 23/86 gearing and 2s lipo it's wheelies on demand even on downhills
    Ohhhh ok. So is my gearing now stock ?? 19/90 ?? On the cc gear it says 14-19 ?? Can I run that 23 ?