Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenhousden View Post
    It will charge it...I have both..we got the spc 6500mah and the ez peak charger. Just set it to 6.0 amps and 7.4V. It just takes a bit longer to charge. Mine takes about 45 minutes to charge it fully after a good run in the rusty.
    Thanks for the reply! I charged it up and everything worked great. Love those SPC batteries!!!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fjcruiserpd View Post
    I have a question regarding the Traxxas EZ Peak charger mentioned earlier in this thread. I too have just bought the 6500mah 2s lipo from SPC, but when I tried to charge it using the EZ Peak charger I noticed that it only went up to 6000mah!! Is there a way to get around this or am I just out of luck when it comes to charging this battery with this charger?

Any solutions are welcome.
    Just turn off the capacity cut off. Here is a link to the instructions.

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...ual-120323.pdf

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenhousden View Post
    The traxxas ez peak is only a 6 amp charger. That is as high as it will go making it impossible to charge at 6.5v. Just charge it at 6.0v it may take an extra 10 minutes.
    The cut off will make the charger stop charging once it's added 6000mah of charge to the battery. The 6A charger can put in more than 6 amps of charge, it just won't do it in one hour (perfect world).

Quote Originally Posted by altidude View Post
    The cut off will make the charger stop charging once it's added 6000mah of charge to the battery. The 6A charger can put in more than 6 amps of charge, it just won't do it in one hour (perfect world).
    Not sure I understand what you mean. How can a 6 amp charger charge at higher than 6 amps and what does time have to do with amp rate?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Not sure I understand what you mean. How can a 6 amp charger charge at higher than 6 amps and what does time have to do with amp rate?
    It doesn't charge at a higher rate than 6 amps, but a 6 amp charger can put more than 6 amps of charge into a battery over time. For example, my 5 amp charger charges my 6500mah lipos just fine, it just takes a while (about 90 minutes) at 5 amps. If I have my charger set to stop charging once it's put 5000mah of charge into the battery then that's what stops the charging.

Another more extreme example is I have a 2 amp charger on my r.v. 240 amp hour batteries. The 2 amp charger can top them off but it takes days after a trip.

It doesn't charge at a higher rate than 6 amps, but a 6 amp charger can put more than 6 amps of charge into a battery over time. For example, my 5 amp charger charges my 6500mah lipos just fine, it just takes a while (about 90 minutes) at 5 amps. If I have my charger set to stop charging once it's put 5000mah of charge into the battery then that's what stops the charging.

Another more extreme example is I have a 2 amp charger on my r.v. 240 amp hour batteries. The 2 amp charger can top them off but it takes days after a trip.
    That's what I thought you meant, but wasn't sure. True, a 6 amps charger will charge a pack with a higher than 6ah rating. Just won't do it at 1C. I never really cared for chargers that limited mah like that. My buddy has an Electrifly Triton EQ that's like that. There's no actual charge rate setting, only mah setting and it only goes up to 5,000 because it's limited to 5 amp charge rate. The Onyx chargers I used to use had both amp rate and mah settings so you could charge 6,000 or higher packs without having to restart the charger. Not sure if you can disable the capacity like on the EZ Peak, but it sure would be nice.

RC poster
    So I just realized that my EZ Peak had the automatic cut off set to 5000mah. Which means that all this time I haven't been getting the most out of any of my packs, most of which are 5800 and above. So my new question is: Knowing that I can charge beyond the 6000mah, will the charger still automatically stop once the pack is fully charged or do I have to keep track of how man mahs have been pumped into the pack and then just stop in manually?

It sounds like a silly question as I typed it, but I seriously don't know the answer.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fjcruiserpd View Post
    So I just realized that my EZ Peak had the automatic cut off set to 5000mah. Which means that all this time I haven't been getting the most out of any of my packs, most of which are 5800 and above. So my new question is: Knowing that I can charge beyond the 6000mah, will the charger still automatically stop once the pack is fully charged or do I have to keep track of how man mahs have been pumped into the pack and then just stop in manually?

It sounds like a silly question as I typed it, but I seriously don't know the answer.
    Kind of wondering that myself. I just changed my capacity cut off to 6500 mAh and I started charging our battery. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know what it does. Hopefully it does turn off by itself.
    Sponsored by Sugar Mamma Racing aka The Wife O.o

RC Racer
    Your lipo charger, if it's working correctly and set up properly, will stop when it reaches peak voltage for the number of cells in your lipo. It doesn't hurt to keep a close eye on the process until you get a feel for the charger.

RC Racer
    I did a balance charge and it hit 6501 and beeped several times flashing CAPA on the screen. Im assuming it is done.
    Sponsored by Sugar Mamma Racing aka The Wife O.o

RC Racer
    Since you set the cutoff to 6500 and it stopped at 6501 I'd guess that your charger hit the cutoff before the battery was completely charged. It's probably pretty close though. Does the EZ Peak show you voltage in each cell? It should read 4.2 volts in each assuming you balance charged.

Your lipo charger, if it's working correctly and set up properly, will stop when it reaches peak voltage for the number of cells in your lipo. It doesn't hurt to keep a close eye on the process until you get a feel for the charger.
    That's how it's supposed to work. A charger shouldn't really be working off of mah capacity. If your 6000mah pack is at half capacity, it's not gonna take anywhere near 6000mah during a charge cycle, so it's sorta pointless. A good charger (and most chargers that I know of) are looking for 4.2 volts per cell or 8.4 volts total for a 2S pack. That way no matter how much charge the pack has in it when placed on the charger, it's only gonna charge until you reach peak voltage capacity. I really don't see any reason for a mah setting on a charger and I honestly never really pay any attention if there is a setting for it.