Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

LiPo on Brushed motor?

We have a stock rustler with a 7cell NiMH & xl-5 esc ..we switched our motor to the Firebolt 15t 540 and a 17t pinion gear. The battery we have doesn't last for more than 10 minutes on a full charge. My sons getting a bit tired of that... I want to switch to LiPo but not sure if we should get a 3s or 2s. I have read the power ratio of the 7cell NiMH is close to a 2s but I wasnt sure if we can get a 3s in case we want to upgrade to brushless later. So, can we run a brushed motor on the 3s or should I just get the 2s to be safe? Whats your opinion on brand and also what charger to get? I've seen this one seems to be popular http://www.ebay.com/itm/150950676972...84.m1436.l2649
    Sponsored by Sugar Mamma Racing aka The Wife O.o

RC Champion
    I would save your money and NOT go LiPo until you go brushless. Go brushless sooner than later (as soon as you can afford it!) As I told someone earlier today, everything is better with brushless...longer run times (better efficiency), more power/speed, etc.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    I would save your money and NOT go LiPo until you go brushless. Go brushless sooner than later (as soon as you can afford it!) As I told someone earlier today, everything is better with brushless...longer run times (better efficiency), more power/speed, etc.
    I would love to go brushless, trust me. Its only a matter of time.. My 8yo son is just learning this car and brushless would be way to fast for him. I do however want a little bit longer run time. Although I think I just figured out that the ESC was set up for lipo Low Voltage Detection and I just switched that off. Maybe that will gain us some play time. I still would like some info on the 2c vs 3c for right now and some brands of battery/chargers that are good.

RC Champion
    The Traxxas EZ Peak Plus is a nice little LiPo charger for a good price (also charges NiMh):

http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-2933-E.../dp/B005FUKQ7M

Go with a 2S LiPo (7.4V); a 3S (11.1V) would toast a brushed rustler motor very quickly...it's only designed for 8.4V!

RC Champion
    Come to think of it, your stock ESC is only rated for 9.6V as well...

RC Racer
    Thank you zippo...I'll order a 2c and the ez peak..I dont need any smoke effects from the motor or esc just yet.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenhousden View Post
    Thank you zippo...I'll order a 2c and the ez peak..I dont need any smoke effects from the motor or esc just yet.
    Yeah, smoke is bad. Make sure you get at least a 30C battery; C-rating represents how fast a pack can discharge. If the C-rating is too low for a given load, the pack can literally "puff" (which means it's toast). Puffed packs can start a fire. And you're out fifty bucks.

RC Racer
    wow...I had a traxxas 25c 2cell on my wishlist and I was just reading about that when you posted this...I found this battery http://www.amazon.com/Venom-15080-50...niversal+Plugs and this charger http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-2933-E...I30QFVOX2OKO3Q look ok for what I need? I do want to say I appreciate your time. There is no one I know of around here that is into these cars that I could call and talk to...so thank you.

RC Qualifier
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...FQixnQodG04AUg

This Pack maybe alittle better its cheaper better quailty and more c rating!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-nightmare View Post
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...FQixnQodG04AUg

This Pack maybe alittle better its cheaper better quailty and more c rating!!
    Gens Ace are supposed to be very good as well...and you can't go wrong with the EZ Peak Plus.

RC Racer
    I just ordered two of these SPC 6500mah 2S 50c batteries.

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=121

I've been using the SPC 5000mah 2S 25C batteries and they've been great so far.

RC Racer
    With that Gens Acer I guess im going to need a converter for that plug? I have the stock XL5 ESC and it has a flat plug on it and these come with banana plugs...holy moses there is a lot to take in on these things. Every time I get ready to order I see something else I need to make it work lol....So do I need to pick this up as well? http://www.amazon.com/Venom-Bullet-P...universal+plug

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by altidude View Post
    I just ordered two of these SPC 6500mah 2S 50c batteries.

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=121

I've been using the SPC 5000mah 2S 25C batteries and they've been great so far.
    I see this one comes with which ever connector I need. I really just need a little more run time than this 7cell is giving us. We just ran it around the yard and in light snow and it was done in 10 minutes. By the time my sons starts having fun we have to park it.

RC poster
    With that Gens Acer I guess im going to need a converter for that plug? I have the stock XL5 ESC and it has a flat plug on it and these come with banana plugs...holy moses there is a lot to take in on these things. Every time I get ready to order I see something else I need to make it work lol....So do I need to pick this up as well? http://www.amazon.com/Venom-Bullet-P...universal+plug
    Not sure about all hobby shops, but my localHobby People shop, soldered my new connectors on for free. I just bought the pack of traxxas connectors, which comes with 2, so next time I get another new lipo i'll have the plug already.

RC Racer
    i have a rustler/firebolt/xl5 combo as well,and have used gens ace 2s/5000mah/40c & gensace 2s/2200/25c packs as well as traxxas 7cell/3000mah/nmh packs. w/ stock gearing, i get 15 mins run time on mostly hard surfaces. w/ 2200 packs, iget 20-25 mins w/ alot more punch,and it seems to have 1-2mph more top end.w/ the 5000 pack,it turns it into a whole new truck! 3-4 more mph,crazy punch,35-45 mins runtime.fair warning,the 5000 pack will melt brushes! it seems that wot speed passes for the whole 40 mins is a bad idea. side note: i use both lipo packs w/cc sv2/4600kv brushless combo in another truck(stampede) and there is very little difference in runtime,but of course tons more power. hope this helps

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    I am not sure why anyone would think this? Even with brushed you are going to get better run times and probably better speed. I have had several brushless systems as well as NiMh, NiCd and LiPo batteries to run them with. LiPo is simply a better battery. I was getting about 30 minutes out of my Rustler running a 4000kv brushless motor (battery is SPC 25c 5000mah 2s) and now use the same battery in my crawler, brushed, getting around 3 - 4 hours depending on the climbs.
    Nitro Rustler, Rustler HW Brushless Motor, ESC

RC Champion
    Xl5 can only use 2s lipos, and you need a lipo alarm if your xl5 doesn't have Low Voltage Detection..
    2s battery made a huge difference in runtime and power on my old stampede and bandit.
    It was like I bought new motors for the cars. I was running 7cell nickel batteries before the lipos.
    I just bought a pair of spc 8200 50c batteries for my summit but I use them in my Bandit as well.
    http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=153
    They are out of stock again.
    Last edited by Zepher; 02-04-2013 at 10:03 AM.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    Xl5 can only use 2s lipos, and you need a lipo alarm if your xl5 doesn't have Low Voltage Detection..
    2s battery made a huge difference in runtime and power on my old stampede and bandit.
    It was like I bought new motors for the cars. I was running 7cell nickel batteries before the lipos.
    I just bought a pair of spc 8200 50c batteries for my summit but I use them in my Bandit as well.
    http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=153
    They are out of stock again.
    My xl5 has LVD built in so that's a plus. I think I am going to order the SPC 6500mAh , 50C, 2S, 7.4V for now. It has the right connector we need and it should give us a lot more run time than the 10 minutes we are getting from the 7c nickel battery. Hopefully we dont run through our brushed motors to quick with this. We dont do speed runs...just backyard driving...some small jumps here and there. The battery and the charger alone are around 120 bucks..but when we decide to go brusless at least we will have that part covered. I have to keep my orders small so my sons happy with his run time and my wife dont shoot me

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by diggerdad View Post
    i have a rustler/firebolt/xl5 combo as well,and have used gens ace 2s/5000mah/40c & gensace 2s/2200/25c packs as well as traxxas 7cell/3000mah/nmh packs. w/ stock gearing, i get 15 mins run time on mostly hard surfaces. w/ 2200 packs, iget 20-25 mins w/ alot more punch,and it seems to have 1-2mph more top end.w/ the 5000 pack,it turns it into a whole new truck! 3-4 more mph,crazy punch,35-45 mins runtime.fair warning,the 5000 pack will melt brushes! it seems that wot speed passes for the whole 40 mins is a bad idea. side note: i use both lipo packs w/cc sv2/4600kv brushless combo in another truck(stampede) and there is very little difference in runtime,but of course tons more power. hope this helps
    Thats everything I wanted to see as far as run times. the punch and speed are a plus though. Hopefully with the SPC 6500mAh , 50C, 2S, 7.4V we will get the time we want. We dont run it hard as far as speed runs or crazy jumps. My son is still trying to keep it straight with the stock set up. However the run time on a 7c nickel is very disappointing.

RC Champion
    Just remember to enable LVD on the ESC before using the lipos.

copied from the manual,

Low-Voltage Detection Settings _______________________
    The XL-5 speed control includes Low-Voltage Detection circuitry for
    use with LiPo batteries. This feature can be disabled for use with NiMH
    batteries. The Low-Voltage Detection circuitry constantly monitors the
    battery voltage. When the battery voltage begins to reach the minimum
    recommended discharge voltage threshold for LiPo battery packs, the
    XL-5 will limit the power output to 50% throttle. When the battery
    voltage attempts to fall below the minimum threshold, the XL-5 will shut
    down all motor output. The LED on the speed control will slowly blink
    red, indicating a low-voltage shutdown. The XL-5 will stay in this mode
    until a fully charged battery is connected.
    Be certain Low-Voltage Detection is enabled if you install LiPo batteries
    in your model. Never use LiPo batteries while Low-Voltage Detection
    is disabled.
    Verify that Low-Voltage Detection is DISABLED:
    1. Turn on the transmitter (with the
    throttle at neutral).
    2. Connect a fully charged battery
    pack to the XL-5.
    3. Press and release the EZ-Set button
    to turn the XL-5 on. If the LED is solid RED, then the Low-Voltage
    Detection is DISABLED (not safe to use LiPo batteries). If the LED is
    solid GREEN, then Low-Voltage Detection is ACTIVATED.
    To activate Low-Voltage Detection (LiPo setting):
    1. Make sure the LED on the XL-5
    is on and RED.
    2. Press and hold the EZ-Set button
    (the LED will turn off ) (A). After ten
    seconds, the motor will beep twice
    and the LED will shine GREEN. Release the button (B).
    3. Low-Voltage Detection is now ACTIVATED.
    To disable Low-Voltage Detection (NiMH setting):
    1. Make sure the LED on the XL-5 is
    on and GREEN.
    2. Press and hold the EZ-Set button
    (the LED will turn off ) (A). After ten
    seconds, the motor will beep three
    times and the LED will shine RED. Release the button (B).
    3. Low-Voltage Detection is now DISABLED.
    Setup Programming ________________________________

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My xl5 has LVD built in so that's a plus. I think I am going to order the 2S, 7.4V for now. It has the right connector we need and it should give us a lot more run time than the 10 minutes we are getting from the 7c nickel battery. Hopefully we dont run through our brushed motors to quick with this.
    Far and away the number one cause of premature failure for brushed motors is heat. Brushed motors generate more heat than do brushless due to the brush-to-commutator interface friction. So be very careful with the longer runtimes afforded by larger capacity LiPo packs. For the first few LiPo-powered runs I suggest stopping the vehicle after about 10 minutes and checking the motor heat. If the motor is abnormally hot, STOP and allow it to cool down. Once you run LiPo a few times you will get a feel for how long the vehicle can operate before excessive heat sets in.
    Last edited by Jakey; 02-04-2013 at 01:49 PM.

RC Racer
    Thank you Zepher...When I purchased this truck the LVD was already on...I broke the manual out and reset it back to run nickel. I thought that was why I was only getting 10 minutes on my battery. But it really didnt effect it after I disabled the LVD. Still just getting 10-12 minutes.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Far and away the number one cause of premature failure for brushed motors is heat. Brushed motors generate more heat than do brushless due to the brush / commutator interface friction. So be very careful with the longer runtimes afforded by larger capacity LiPo packs. For the first few LiPo-powered runs I suggest stopping the vehicle after about 10 minutes and checking the motor heat. If the motor is abnormally hot, STOP and allow it to cool down. Once you run LiPo a few times you will get a feel for how long the vehicle can operate before excessive heat sets in.
    I am always checking the heat on that motor as we run...I have read so much about these brushed motors burning up from heat. It drives my son nuts but im always grabbing that thing. I will keep an eye on it for sure.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey guys I just bought a lipo 2s 4000mah 7.4v Form my LHS for my xl5 but it seems slower than my stock 7cell 3000mah 8.4v??? Am I doing something wrong? Or Is iit the battery? I called LHS and the guy says I need to upgrade to vxl in order to get more speed.. But I'm here thinkin that lipo was suppose to give it more power rather then goin vxl right away..?
    Fast car with a fast car = WIN

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VandalVXL View Post
    Hey guys I just bought a lipo 2s 4000mah 7.4v Form my LHS for my xl5 but it seems slower than my stock 7cell 3000mah 8.4v??? Am I doing something wrong? Or Is iit the battery? I called LHS and the guy says I need to upgrade to vxl in order to get more speed.. But I'm here thinkin that lipo was suppose to give it more power rather then goin vxl right away..?
    What is the C rating on the battery?
    Nitro Rustler, Rustler HW Brushless Motor, ESC

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by VandalVXL View Post
    If you were setting LVD for the lipo, maybe you accidentally stuck the ESC in Training mode.

Quote Originally Posted by JayMcGill View Post
    What is the C rating on the battery?
    c rating of the battery will be at least 20, which is plenty for these small cars in near stock form.

RC Enthusiast
    If you were setting LVD for the lipo, maybe you accidentally stuck the ESC in Training mode.

c rating of the battery will be at least 20, which is plenty for these small cars in near stock form.
    How do I get out of training mode?
    My lipo is 30c

RC Enthusiast
    Actually I figured out how to undo training mode so I think that might have solved my problem.. THANKs!
    I'll have to see tomorrow when I run it

RC Champion
    cool, let us know if that was the issue.
    I know both my Bandit and Stampede ran much faster and longer on the 2s lipo than on the 7 cell 8.4volt nickel battery.

RC Racer
    I got my Firebolt 15t 540 and 17t pinion gear in today...We just ordered a SPC LiPo 6500mAh , 50C, 2S, 7.4V and a Traxxas 2933 EZ-Peak Plus charger. Our first upgrades. Hopefully all of this meshes together well and we get some more run time out of our rustler.

after my wife settles down a little bit from these purchases we will upgrade with Aluminum Shock Caps, RPM Wide front bumper, RPM Rear Shock tower, Aluminum Castor Blocks. Any suggestions on these items as far as price/value goes?
    Last edited by stevenhousden; 02-05-2013 at 08:37 AM.

RC Racer
    after my wife settles down a little bit from these purchases we will upgrade with Aluminum Shock Caps, RPM Wide front bumper, RPM Rear Shock tower, Aluminum Castor Blocks. Any suggestions on these items as far as price/value goes?
    Get the front bumper now. It's not expensive at all and it will likely save you from spending more money sooner. I buy most of my RPM parts off ebay but my LHS (about 20 miles away so not so local) carries a good selection too. RPM lists their MSRP so you'll know if you've found a good deal regardless where you buy. Even at full MSRP the RPM front bumper is a good deal. The stock bumper on the Rustler provides almost no protection, IMO.

RC Racer
    And regarding the wife, I can totally relate! I'm getting most of my parts shipped to my office now but since I categorize all my purchases in Quicken, and my wife is a CPA, she'll pull up a spending report by category every once in a while. Then we have "A Talk". There's always One More Thing the Rustler needs and now that we're buying a Slash, it's only gonna get worse!

RC Racer
    Get the front bumper now. It's not expensive at all and it will likely save you from spending more money sooner. I buy most of my RPM parts off ebay but my LHS (about 20 miles away so not so local) carries a good selection too. RPM lists their MSRP so you'll know if you've found a good deal regardless where you buy. Even at full MSRP the RPM front bumper is a good deal. The stock bumper on the Rustler provides almost no protection, IMO.
    All of the parts I want there are under 50 bucks so I will get them next payday. The bumper was first on the list. ahhahhha Trust me, we have already had several "talks" about this car. Its my 8yo sons car and we are both learning about all of this together. More me learning form you guys and just buying the parts we need and him helping put them on. So she doesn't mind to much..I think its more sticker shock sometimes. O.o

RC Racer
    if she has sticker shock w/ this hobby,maybe you should try a 1:1 scale project.she'"ll be beggin for rc! its cool your son is helping w/ the install. gotta get them involved early on!

RC Enthusiast
    cool, let us know if that was the issue.
    I know both my Bandit and Stampede ran much faster and longer on the 2s lipo than on the 7 cell 8.4volt nickel battery.
    Thx zepher my rusty is flyin now no problem!

RC Champion
    Glad you got it sorted out.
    I've got to fix my bandit, bell crank broke at the toe link connection tonight after running for 5 minutes, tumbled a couple of times and noticed the pass side wheel wasn't turning when I turned.

RC poster
    I have a question regarding the Traxxas EZ Peak charger mentioned earlier in this thread. I too have just bought the 6500mah 2s lipo from SPC, but when I tried to charge it using the EZ Peak charger I noticed that it only went up to 6000mah!! Is there a way to get around this or am I just out of luck when it comes to charging this battery with this charger?

Any solutions are welcome.

RC Racer
    It will charge it...I have both..we got the spc 6500mah and the ez peak charger. Just set it to 6.0 amps and 7.4V. It just takes a bit longer to charge. Mine takes about 45 minutes to charge it fully after a good run in the rusty.
    Last edited by stevenhousden; 02-28-2013 at 01:46 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fjcruiserpd View Post
    ...when I tried to charge it using the EZ Peak charger I noticed that it only went up to 6000mah!! Is there a way to get around this or am I just out of luck when it comes to charging this battery with this charger?

Any solutions are welcome.
    Maybe you have the capacity cut off set to 6000mah...

RC Racer
    Maybe you have the capacity cut off set to 6000mah...
    The traxxas ez peak is only a 6 amp charger. That is as high as it will go making it impossible to charge at 6.5v. Just charge it at 6.0v it may take an extra 10 minutes.