RC Racer

1/16th Grave Digger upgrade's

Well here are all my updates so far on my Sons mini digger

First I put in the 4x4 parts, they were in his stocking at xmas.

Parts list

TRA-7151 front driveshaft x2
    TRA-7078 front differential
    TRA-7079 differential gear
    TRA-7019 differential gear bearings
    TRA-7020 driveshaft bearings
    TRA-7056 halfshafts

Then I finally got everything needed to install the vxl system and TQi radio, just did both of those today.

parts list

TQi Radio
    VXL 3m ecs and 380 brushless motor
    TRA 7077 gear cover
    TRA 7060 motor mount
    TRA 7090 motor plate

Man this thing rip now

Then I went and decided to put the xl5 in his blast boat so it would have reverse, when I plugged it in I had steering but no throttle, then I thought hey I wonder if the old digger TQ would work, turned it on and voila, she works perfect, so I got rid of that old style radio for the blast too

Now on to this mess for the digger and my Daughters merv

RC Qualifier
    Nice work Chkmate looks like some more work ahead but good times to follow!
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    Lookin Good! Your kiddos are going to have some sweet lookin minis!!
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Racer
    Thanks guys, well here we are 4 hours deep in this thing today

My biggest problem was removing the pillow balls from the stock carriers, I ended up breaking the first one just to see how it came apart, the rest have been easy now

RC Qualifier
    Looks good Chkmate doing a fine job almost there then its go time.. you do have the bats charged and waiting right lol

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    Looks good Chkmate doing a fine job almost there then its go time.. you do have the bats charged and waiting right lol
    Thanks, Ran 2 sets of batteries through it already! we got fresh snow today and the merv is totally useless compared to the digger now, it just rips through the snow, I can't wait for some dry ground in the spring to see how fast these things go.

RC Qualifier
    Lol yep my summit Jr on the way ordered it Friday I'm hoping the weather warms up next weekend for it so I can run it

RC Racer
    Did my first dye job today, I picked up a extra chassis just so I could have it dyed and then switch stuff over as I take it off, did the rockers and the rims to and added green wheel nuts, I still have to switch the chassis when I get time.

Then I added the red digger lights to the body they are for 1/10 scale but they fit just fine.

I'll probably get around to changing the chassis tomorrow, then I'm gonna dye that one and put everything from the merv on it, I hate the grey on them.

RC Qualifier
    Very Nice Digger i am tryna do mine the same way just gotta get the money!!!

What i am doing to mine i already have a esc just tryna get the motor!
    already have wheelie bar
    i ordered a hitech servo
    tryna find some rit dye and i ordered a charger AC6
    and a sky lipo 5000 mah to run in my truck i could tell you how i do it with the stock (grave digger) body!
    and 2.4ghz is on the way and thats about it!
    Also keeping it 2wd less diff problems and half the work and money also i dont' really need it for my bashing which is done on my Backyard Track or golfcourse about 3 mins from here! Walking!
    Last edited by RC-nightmare; 03-01-2013 at 02:56 PM.

RC Racer
    In my opinion 4x4 is the best upgrade I did yet, but we got snow here and it's useless without it, even on dry ground my 4 year old has a way better control of it with 4x4, I need to upgrade the servo to soon.

RC Qualifier
    I have Another Truck With 4x4 by far 4x4 is the best but with this truck i didnt really need or want it and maybe in the future i will add it but for now i will keep it 2x4... we all have different opinions i can respect that!

It snowed here about 1 mouth ago i could of really used the 4x4 then!!!!

RC Racer
    Cool, we still got 3 ft on the ground, got more the other day, ready for summer!

RC Qualifier
    Can you send Some Over here please!!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-nightmare View Post
    Can you send Some Over here please!!!!
    We are up for another storm starting in the morning, another 3-5" with 45 mph winds, awesome, lol.

I finished up the chassis swap today, went really easy having the extra chassis here so I could put stuff on as I took it off, only took about an hour, now I'll dye this chassis and put everything from the merv on it and hang the extra one on the wall for when I feel like breaking something, haha.

Here's another pic from today, what a nice day it was! I gotta start knocking that pile down soon so I can get the boat out of there and into the garage for some spring lovin, man there's a lot of snow.

Last edited by CHKMATE ELUDER; 03-03-2013 at 01:42 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome Loving the Grave Digger, and question is that a sensor for the motor temp.... and man do i need some snow i just got my truck all fixed up and i am ready for a darn Blizzard. The Chassis came out very nice! and even better on the Truck and watch out for that servo mine burnt out couple days ago and ALMOST toke the esc with it.... i plugged it out in time, my esc started to smoke just because of the servo :'( and awsome ATV my dad has a banshee and man does she fly!!!!!!

RC Racer
    Thanks man, not sure what you mean about a sensor? if your talking about the little wire its for the LED lights in the body, glad you were able to unplug and save your ESC in time.

RC Racer
    Finally went lipo, got the traxxas ezpeak 6 amp charger and dual 2s port for it with two traxxas 2200 2s batts for Xmas, what a difference in power and run time!

RC Qualifier
    We're running 3s on ours......always
    Triple backflips are no problem !!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CHKMATE ELUDER View Post
    Finally went lipo, got the traxxas ezpeak 6 amp charger and dual 2s port for it with two traxxas 2200 2s batts for Xmas, what a difference in power and run time!
    Might be a good idea to swap out your ESC...the one we have pictured went pop in 2 days

RC Racer
    I think you might be ok with your esc for now if you stay with the 2s lipo. Continually running on 3s may cause a problem in the future.

I really like the Grave Digger theme!

RC Racer
    Thanks guys, so far no problem, been running it since Xmas day on 2s with no issues, it's geared pretty low too at 18/55 and I think that helps, haven't had any issues running the 2s in my daughters merv either, too cold outside here for anything to heat up now, lol.

Just realized I forgot to post that quite a while ago I switched out the stock servos on both of them to the hitec 5085, no more stripped gears and I must have done a good job water proofing them because they haven't got wet yet.
    Last edited by CHKMATE ELUDER; 01-05-2014 at 06:10 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Got question for u .does your blast take a lot of water on, I have the same boat and it does,I've drilled the hole they said to in the manual to drain it also silicon all around and tried the tape, with no luck(also checked the intake and outtake tupe for leaks).
    I also have wildcat ep what a blast that one is. Any thoughts on the coming in?

RC Racer
    Mine also takes on lots of water, i haven't really looked in to it, we didn't use it much last summer, I put silicone around where the deck meets the hull because that's where I think it's coming in but haven't ran it yet to see, if I just drive it straight with very wide turns it doesn't take on water.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CHKMATE ELUDER View Post
    Mine also takes on lots of water, i haven't really looked in to it, we didn't use it much last summer, I put silicone around where the deck meets the hull because that's where I think it's coming in but haven't ran it yet to see, if I just drive it straight with very wide turns it doesn't take on water.
    Ya I did the same but it still leaks owell thanks its still a blast