RC Qualifier

Not Sure What to Pick!?!

So, I bought a new slash 4x4 a few months ago and I love it. My friend has a Rustler which is upgraded to a Castle SCT System in it and that works great! Now I have another friend who wants to get into the RC Hobby, but doesn't want to spend too much. I think it would be better to get brushed for him as it is more low-cost and parts are less likely to break. He tried my slash and my friends rustler with the brushless systems in it and 2S lipos in each and loves them. Now what could he do to get into the hobby without spending too much? The 3 brushed choices he is thinking about is the Stampede XL5, the Rustler XL5 and the Slash 2WD XL5. He wants to do mostly jumping and bashing in our backyards, and maybe fool around on a dirt track every once in a while. What do you think would be best? He says he isn't willing to buy a roller and custom build everything from scratch because it gets expensive fast . He is going to drive around with it for a while, and then he says he'll get Lipos and a brushless system, but he doesn't have the money right now. Both my Slash 4x4 and my friends Rustler fly through the air very well, but what would be best? All models are $200 RTR and that's what he's willing to pay. I don't know much about the Stampede, but I've had the rustler (which I sold to my friend) for 2 years and almost half a year I've kept my slash. He likes how light the rustler is, but he likes how well my slash flies. Opinions?

RC Champion
    My suggestion is that he be patient, save his money, and get a nice brushless model from the start. A Slash 4x4 is arguably the best value out there! Brushed motors burn out way too fast in these cars and people are very often disappointed.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

I agree with zippogeek
    Get a brushless model from the get go
    A rustler vxl stampede vxl and slash 4x4 are my favourite trucks
    I think he would want one of those
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    I have 2 old motors I could sell him (brushed) and they both work. He doesn't want to spend too much from the get-go (neither did I 2 years ago when I got the rustler haha). So then do you think he should buy a brushless RTR? We originally custom built plans for a slash 4x4 (which makes me jealous) and the setup was:

Slash 4x4 Roller
    Proline Trenchers or Badlands
    FlySky FS-GT3B radio
    Ford Raptor Body
    Turn*gy waterproof servo 620+MDG
    Castle Sidewinder SV3 with 4300KV motor combo
    2 2S Sky Lipo 5000mah batteries

But the problem is that it puts him at almost $500 and he wants something cheap and useful. I sold my rustler to my friend just stock and he upgraded almost everything to RPM parts and got a Castle SCT system and it works well and he put around $350 into it.

I think a brushless truck
    He would save more in the long run

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    I think a brushless truck
    He would save more in the long run
    Exactly...it's the best value, IMO
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    brushless will save him money just as long as he doesn't go mad with the power while driving or crashes to much because of the extra speed.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Champion
    He really needs to pick either 2wd or 4wd. If 2wd I would say a rusty and if he wants to be competitive then get the LCG kit and boom your good to go.

Also building from roller up can actually save you money. . . But some people don't believe me on that so I will just leave it at that.

Brushed is just there till it breaks then your better off getting brushless. Yes there is a jump in price going Lipo but it's only a one time jump then after that you only need to buy the batteries as you need or want and then they aren't to pricey.

I love my Rusty's so I'm biased though.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Racer X View Post
    He really needs to pick either 2wd or 4wd. If 2wd I would say a rusty and if he wants to be competitive then get the LCG kit and boom your good to go.

Also building from roller up can actually save you money. . . But some people don't believe me on that so I will just leave it at that.

Brushed is just there till it breaks then your better off getting brushless. Yes there is a jump in price going Lipo but it's only a one time jump then after that you only need to buy the batteries as you need or want and then they aren't to pricey.

I love my Rusty's so I'm biased though.
    How is it cheaper?
    Tqi,battery,charger,body,motor and esc,servo,roller
    400+ for all that
    And that's without changing stock parts..

RC Qualifier
    Find a cheap xl-5 out there and by a brushless for it, I got my pede xl-5 for 80 bucks the brushed motor was bad so I slapped a velineon in it, total cost was 230 so about 100 less then the vxl 2wd new. Or save and buy one new or a 1/16 4wd about the same prices 3-330
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    Ive had a rustler for years now. I love it!

its some what cheap , fast and I can even get a last minute part @ pepboys

get the vxl or get a used one and by a tacon 3930kv motor its cheap and fast!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    Ive had a rustler for years now. I love it!

its some what cheap , fast and I can even get a last minute part @ pepboys

get the vxl or get a used one and by a tacon 3930kv motor its cheap and fast!
    Pepboys? Like the car parts place?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    How is it cheaper?
    400+ for all that
    I built a brushless rusty with radio and everything minus lipo batteries for around $250

Here is the link. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...me-assistance.

It wasn't a $170 brushless system but man it flies on 2s lipo. Great for beginner RC. I still see that rusty every now and then when I drive with my friend.
    Rusty SCT
    Rusty LCG SCT
    Pede 4x4 SC8 *sold*

RC Qualifier
    yes the car pepboys , you can get tires , spurs, hardware , driveshafts , item the break

RC Qualifier
    How is it cheaper?
    400+ for all that
    You don't have to get a Traxxas Velineon system, nor a TQi. There are perfectly acceptable brushless systems out there from less known brands for way less, and same for radio systems. True, you won't get everything that the Traxxas system gives you, but it does get you up and running with 2.4 GHz and brushless power. I run an Etronix brushless system, and an Ansmann radio system and it works great, race it every week and has never failed me.

Same with chargers, not everyone runs $100 chargers, decent lipo chargers are available for way less.

PS: Am I screaming for a Velineon system? Nah! When I come to upgrade I'll get a sensored system, do I want a TQi system? I have to admit I do The telemetry stuff is one of the coolest and most innovative things Traxxas has come up with.
    Last edited by cunawarit; 02-03-2013 at 05:48 AM.

RC Qualifier
    this is what i would do. get a used vxl rustler even without a motor / esc. then but the castle sct3800 setup .
    i have the sct combo its much better for 3s and it runs way cooler than the vxl