RC Qualifier

Connectors? Trx, deans, or xt60?

Well its time to convert all my stuff to the same connectors. I'm getting tired of using adapters to go from deans to trx and vice versa. I always seem to misplace an adapter and have to figure out what i did with it before i can get a run in or charge my batts. I tried to do all trx, but they are difficult to solder and the tabs never seem to fit in the plastic housing correctly. I bought a bunch of deans connectors and was going to switch everything over, than I got my ********* esc with an xt 60 on it and it looks to be a better connector. More contact area, and more grip area making it easier to hold onto when connecting and disconnecting. Has anybody used these? And what do you think?
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I took a piece of wood for soldering my trx terminals. Made a slot to hold the blade snapping in
    With a little practice its not too hard.

RC Racer
    In my experiences, the deans connectors are very stiff to plug in and out when these are brand new. The shrink tubes tend to slip and the solders exposed. The XT60 connectors are easy to plug in and out, but these don't hold securely. IMO, I like trx connectors. These have better grip while plug in and easy to plug out. You have to solder right amount on the tabs to insert the housing properly.

RC Qualifier
    I noticed the tabs have ribs, and seem to go in one certain way, but I can't get them to snap in all the way. I leave a small gap in my bench vise just large enough for the teeth but small enough that the edges of the vise catch the rest of the plug. I use pliers to hold the end of the wire while pushing the tabs in. You can tell when they're in cause they click. But I can't get all of them to assemble correctly. Maybe its cause I used knock offs.

Hey 50, could you post a pic of the wood setup?
    Last edited by the finisher; 02-02-2013 at 02:16 AM.
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    i know a friend with a rc- boat, he had deans connectors and they melted together in one solid piece!

RC Champion
    Secure the connector in your vice and use a screwdriver and tap the spades all the way in.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have never had that much trouble getting my "TRX" connectors together... what is the wattage of your soldering iron? The reason I ask is because until I got a really hot iron and a third hand, I hated TRX connectors as well. Once I had these simple and cheap tools, I started converting everything over to them. I've had Deans, XT60's, EC#'s, housed and unhoused bullets. The Deans are a pain to use and require heat shrink. The XT60's are a trick to solder and require heat shrink. EC#'s are expensive. The bullets are easy to screw up polarity... even the housed ones do to the reversibility upon soldering and the unhoused require heat shrink.
    I still use XT60's for my 16ths and they are well incorporated into my charge setup... maybe someday I will buy a TRX ParaBoard and sell my XT60 ParaBoard that I have made 6 TRX to XT60 adapters for.

Here is an example of a TRX/XT60 adapter and a female to female XT60.

Here is the iron I use for TRX connectors:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/180651054495...84.m1436.l2649
    Here is the third (or helping) hand I use:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-319.html

When soldering TRX:
    I expose 1/16 - 3/16" of wire.
    With a hot iron, I flux the wire and the tabs set up in the hands.
    I lightly tin the wire and the tabs, making sure I have the right tab for the connector.
    I put a small ball of solder on the iron.
    I put the iron under the tab in the hand.
    Once solder is melted on the tab I touch the wire to the tab.
    The instant the solder on the wire is melted through, I remove the iron.
    Every once in a while, I have to file the solder to back it off from where it is not supposed to be.
    Once all of these parts cool down enough to work with, I push the wires in with a small screwdriver against the tab.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I have a 140w weller. Its a good hot soldering iron. And I do it the same way your describing. It just seems like the tabs never go in far enough. Sometimes it's almost an 1/8 of an inch short. I've used as little as 1/16 solder area. And filed the solder down. I'll give em another try before I switch completely. But the xt60's are what I'm leaning towards.
    addicted much....

That's good info on the soldering iron.

Most that complain about soldering any connector are trying to do so with a 25 watt iron... which is not going to work.
    I have no complaints about the XT60's usage wise. Just be sure to get the real deal. The knockoffs melt EASY.

RC Champion
    IMO, Dean's are the best connector in the hobby. But they're also a pain in the butt to pull apart, especially when it's cold out and your fingers are numb. As far as comfort of use goes, Traxxas plugs are about the best I've seen.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    I only use Deans connectors, they are very easy to unsolder when needed and are a lot less bulk than the Traxxas connectors. I've never had an issue getting the apart but I do hold onto a little of the wire when I pull them apart.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Champion
    I use a 150/240W soldering gun. My problem is that the solder always gets too far down on the tab for traxxas connectors. Even if I file the extra off with a file I still can't get them to snap in. I just give up and only put them in as far as I manage to get them. Haven't had one come out yet!
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    That's good info on the soldering iron.

Most that complain about soldering any connector are trying to do so with a 25 watt iron... which is not going to work.
    I have no complaints about the XT60's usage wise. Just be sure to get the real deal. The knockoffs melt EASY.
    The first soldering iron I bought was a 60w and I didn't think it worked very well. It would get hot but, once you used it, it would take forever to heat back up. This weller has a two stage trigger. You get 100w first stage, 140w second stage. Hold the trigger for ten seconds, and It's time to solder! You dont have the dexterity you get with a pen soldering iron though, So there's a comprimise for sure. But it works well.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    I use a 150/240W soldering gun. My problem is that the solder always gets too far down on the tab for traxxas connectors. Even if I file the extra off with a file I still can't get them to snap in. I just give up and only put them in as far as I manage to get them. Haven't had one come out yet!
    I have the exact same problem. Most of them have stayed. But, I do have one set on a bettery that comes out. I like the trx connectors but the difficulty of soldering just led me to give up. Figured, there's gotta be a better way. The other thing, is power transfer. Which ones are the most capable? I know for 1/16 scale its probably not gonna matter much. I do have a couple emaxx's, so it might make a difference for those.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    I noticed the tabs have ribs, and seem to go in one certain way, but I can't get them to snap in all the way. I leave a small gap in my bench vise just large enough for the teeth but small enough that the edges of the vise catch the rest of the plug. I use pliers to hold the end of the wire while pushing the tabs in. You can tell when they're in cause they click. But I can't get all of them to assemble correctly. Maybe its cause I used knock offs.

Hey 50, could you post a pic of the wood setup?
    Here you go. Pretty simple cut it a little smaller so it snaps in there. Yes I have used it a lot!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. I dont understand how it works though. Just looks like theres a groove in the wood.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Here you go. Pretty simple cut it a little smaller so it snaps in there. Yes I have used it a lot!
    I have 4 types a butane soldering gun I can't take with me but takes a while to heat up, a pen type for light duty, a 100/140 and a 150/240

RC Champion
    I just use a helping alligator clip arm, and soldering iron.

XT90 connectors that I use are wicked, they are rather larger than XT60's that I have, but they are super solid connectors, far better than deans and much easier to work with than TRX ones. I'd go XT connectors, Traxxas connectors then Deans. Use Dean's Wet Noodle wire and XT90 connectors, and it would be dreamy! =)

RC Qualifier
    Is an xt90 just a larger version of an xt 60?
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The blade snaps in and stays put while you solder

RC Champion
    I use Deans exclusively simply because of the size and ease of use. Also been in the hobby so long everything I own is Deans.

And its easy to make parallel/series connectors that are compact! Stick em together, add hot glue to the void and youre done. (if anyone wants a better pic of this, I can whip another one up without the hot glue)
    Good hot soldering iron is key (generally the gun (pull trigger) ones are JUNK. The main one I use is 40W Radio Shack model and I keep the tip CLEAN so it transfers heat better at all times. If the tip ever gets dirty, I take it out chuck it up in my drill press and sand/polish it again.
    A Clean tip is a happy tip!

The key to soldering is cleanliness and heat transfer
    Last edited by Ken448; 02-02-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]

RC Champion
    I like both the traxxas and ec5's, for comfort of using, ec5's.
    To feel like there is a tight connection being made, traxxas connector.

For soldering the traxxas spades, you need to be an octopus or hold the spade in something.
    Make a jig with a wire coat hanger fix some clips on to hold the spade and the wire.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Qualifier
    I think I'm going with the xt60's. Just bought some. I was messing with them just seing how they feel when plugging and unplugging. And I like the way they feel. Feels solid. Also the way they solder om all sides is nice.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken448 View Post
    I bought a deans T-shape parallel plug at my LHS for $6, and I didn't have to solder anything . I use deans because of their size, if traxxas had micro TRX plugs for the 1/16th's I'd probably use them, full size TRX plugs are way too bog for my taste, I don't need 6s mamba monster-spec connectors on my 3s VXL-3m ESC.
    I like turtles.

This is a little late to the thread, but I just ran across this picture...
    (moving some pictures from Flickr to Facebook)

RC Qualifier
    Thats a trx connector right? Basically when you solder those, you gotta keep everything behind those tabs?
    addicted much....

Yup...
    Not trying to talk you out of or away from your choice... just adding some visuals for future readers.

RC Qualifier
    I understand. I tried keeping the solder joints back like that, but still think they're a pain. I'm gonna go with these xt connectors. Just got to finish rebuilding my merv before I start anither project. In the last week, I've rebuilt my emaxx. Adding a bunch if upgrades, tore down dyed and rebuilt my other emaxx, and converted my mini slash to a merv for my wife. As soon as my merv is rebuilt i'll be ready for the next project!!
    addicted much....

Sounds like fun to me!

RC Qualifier
    Oh yeah, for me tinkering with things is half the fun. Even my 2 yr old boy wants to work on his toy cars just like dad does!
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    I file the solder behind those tabs and they still won't go in.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    I just put a trx connector on a 4s battery that my brother bought tonight. Has 8 gauge wires, they barely fit into the trx connector.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That must of been fun!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    That must of been fun!
    loads of fun. Red one was a pain, couldn't get the spade to sit at the right angle when I was soldering it, it has to be dead center and perfectly in-line with the tinned wire, otherwise it won't slide into the trx connector.
    I also messed up the sheath a bit and had to put some tape on it to keep it from tearing more.
    I may pull out the spade and remove the tape and put some shrink tubing on instead if the tape starts coming loose.