RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Just picked up a Go Pro 3 Black... wow

Havent even tried it yet. But ive had a pile of the other go pro versions. We use them at work and treat them as pretty much disposable. Been through a few that will never be the same again.
    I was resisting buying a new 3 black edition because they arent at all cheap. But I had to give in. without even using it yet I can say it is a massive step up from the original or even the hero 2. Its size is more realistic, its noticeably lighter, buttons are all far easier to operate, screen and menus are more user friendly. The black edition has incredible specifications for its size as well. Ill have the chance to test it on a snowmobiling trip to quebec this week.

The remote is an excellent idea and design for one major reason, it has an LCD screen that mirrors the screen on the Go Pro. Ive used many cameras with simply push button remotes and the problem is that you have no indication what the camera is doing so you always feel compelled to check, which makes having the remote mostly pointless. The LCD screen not only lets you know when your recording but it tells you all the settings your using as well and, im not sure, but it would seem its possible to adjust the settings from the remote as well. Very very cool and useful feature.

I downloaded the app on my iphone as well. Havent tested that yet. The guys in my video lab have started to use it and have reported that its a little laggy and a bit buggy but if it allows me to setup and preview my shot before I record, its worth it.

Ill post up some more info about how I like this thing after I get to use it. But I have to say, at $500 taxes in with a 32gig card its not an easy pill to swallow so it better be amazing.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Sounds good, you should get some go pro 2 vs 3 comparison pictures too

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

RC Qualifier
    Ya i have the hero 2 and 3 black and i love my 3 way better. The app has about a 5 second lag. Its an amazing camera
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

Just finished updating the firmware on the camera, connecting to the remote and connecting to the app in my phone. Seems to me everything works exactly as expected. I did have an issue at first with the remote causing the whole thing to freeze up. But that seems to have been resolved. The app is nice for sure. The lag is annoying but not a deal breaker. What I like most about the app is that it gives you the ability to adjust many of the options in the camera without having to scroll through all those silly menus.
    Hopefully ill get a chance this afternoon to play around with it a bit.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Watch out for the battery over heating. They have the Silver here on base for 269.00 I just got the hero2 2 month's ago. I missed out on a great deal.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

-25c tomorrow. itll probably be ok. hehe
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    So did you get out in the cold with it or not? Waiting on your review before I buy one I really like the Black edition buttttt that price tag not sure if it is worth it just for the remote.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jcjhl69 View Post
    So did you get out in the cold with it or not? Waiting on your review before I buy one I really like the Black edition buttttt that price tag not sure if it is worth it just for the remote.
    Trust me... Its worth it
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

Finally got a chance to test this thing out. I was in the Lanaudiere region of Quebec.. It was -30 C all week. I found the Hero 3 to be much easier to operate than the older versions. But the remote is quite finicky and is more trouble than its worth IMO, especially in the cold.

A full battery lasted just about an hour in this weather. The guy I was shooting with has alot of experience with the Hero 3 Black and says in warmer weather it will last about 2 hours. Im sure battery life will improve with a bit more use as well.

Heres a video he took at 120fps. This isnt full quality... it had to be down sized just a bit so i could upload it on the road. But it gives you an idea of whats possible. Obviously its undergone some minor editing.

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

That's cool
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Heres another video thats totally unedited. It was filmed in 1440 so its 4:3 instead of 16:9... But you can see the quality.

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ