RC Racer

Looking to go brushless with my Summit..

Okay, what do you all think?

What speed difference would I see going brushless?

What do you all consider the best and safest brushless build for the Summit?

I wanted to just get a brushless erevo but dang, they are 1000.00. My wifey didn't think that was a good use of resources, I respect that.

So I figured I would just go cheaper and just put a brushless system in mine. I believe I saw a guy on youtube pulling wheelies with is brushless summit.

RC Champion
    If you go brushless you will destroy your locking diffs, unless you learn throttle control. Your tires will balloon badly, if your using your stock tires. You will need lipos to get all the power out of a brushless setup. And last but not least, Summits weren't designed to go fast, the center of gravity is too high.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

RC Racer
    I am interested in this same topic. I am ready to pull the trigger on a tekin 2250kv, and some trenchers to go with it. I planned to gear it around 35-40mph on 4s. Are the diffs usually destroyed when driving with them locked, or does it occur often in the unlocked position as well?

RC Competitor
    Got me one of these brushless babies for my Summit.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281047021...ht_5728wt_1219

On 14/68, 2/2S lipo, I'm very happy with it.
    Jayson
    Summit BL HW SC8 2000kV
    E-Revo MM2 2200kV

RC Qualifier
    Jays200 is that sensored or sensorless? because i know for 219 you can get the same but sensored
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    I am currently running the MMM/2200kv combo in mine, been running it like this for about 2 months now, no diff problems yet, the key is to set your slipper clutch correctly and have some throttle control, I would say go for a sensored system, Tekin being the first choice, if you want waterproof then try out the combo posted above but make sure to get the sensored version, sensor less systems don't do very good low speed crawling as you get cogging, this is my experience anyway. Good luck with whatever you decide and god bless.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Champion
    It's not that the diffs are easily destroyed, they are just not built for brushless power. You just have to learn throttle control and adjust your slipper clutch properly. I didn't mean to scare anyone, I just wanting to give all the info about putting a brushless setup in a Summit. And if you do go brushless, make to tape your tires. This will help with the tires ballooning, it will help but it won't prevent it.
    Last edited by summitbasher240; 02-02-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Tip 1: Buy a 150 amp 1/8th scale sensored system that is around 2000kv
    Tip 2: Buy the program card (if applicable) for the system you purchased
    Tip 3: When installing system and setting it up, you will want LOTS of punch control
    Tip 4: Be prepared to go LiPo if you have not already. Brushless WILL kill your NiMh.
    Tip 5: Be prepared to buy different wheels. Stocks are only good up to 30mph or so.
    Tip 6: Be prepared to go through diffs... locked or unlocked.
    Tip 7: Slipper settings are now more critical than ever.
    Tip 8: MIP axles look great out of the package, but I see a LOT of pretzeled shafts -- stick to stock, see Tip 7, 3, and 9.
    Tip 9: Keep captain idiot bound and gagged in the closet. (for more info on captain idiot, see Jamann)
    Tip 10: The Summit will never handle like a Revo... unless you pretty much convert it to a Revo with locking diffs.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Tip 11: Listen to Jimmie Neutron.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

RC Racer
    Okay, nevermind then. No brushless for my summit. Maybe i can get a cheap 4x4 brushless pede. Wonder how quick they are.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    Jays200 is that sensored or sensorless? because i know for 219 you can get the same but sensored
    Sensorless but the cogging is barely an issue geared 14/68
    Jayson
    Summit BL HW SC8 2000kV
    E-Revo MM2 2200kV

RC Champion
    The issue I see with the diff is that one output shaft has a hole drilled through it to work with the locker system.. It looks like a real weak point.. Also the huge grippy tires coupled with huge snappy brushless power.. Well something's gotta give. With smaller less grippy Revo tires I'm sure there'd be less breakages. But like the fellas said, punch control is the key.. If set up right, your brushless system could feel less torquey than the 775 brushed motor.

One other thing to consider when going brushless.. Your stock evx2 has a 2.5 amp BEC that powers the servos. Systems like the MMM/2200 only have a 1 amp BEC and you'll likely get brown outs with your RX due to lack of power when the servos demand most of the power

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Qualifier
    Jimmie is 110% correct, and madkawi, is right as well throttle control and punch control are your best friend and having the slipper set right as well, I say if you haven't driven a bunch and are not good at throttle control just stick with the stock system or do the dewalt upgrade and be able to use the summit for what it's truly meant for a not too fast trail bashing machine!! It's all up to you, what makes you happy, just remember with great power comes great responsibility lol. Good luck and god bless.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Champion
    I have a brushless setup, with 100% punch control. I can NOT jolt the system anymore. It is much safer now than it was with the stock motor, so there you have it.

For those who don't know, punch control on my Castle ESC is just something that you set when you program it with their software, 0% means when you give it 100% throttle, it gives it 100% throttle. If punch control is set to 100% then it EASES in until it reaches 100% throttle. This EASE is a not much more than even a second I'd say, so you can still pull wheelies if you're geared for it but you will not JOLT the system - that's what usually snaps things.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
    One other thing to consider when going brushless.. Your stock evx2 has a 2.5 amp BEC that powers the servos. Systems like the MMM/2200 only have a 1 amp BEC and you'll likely get brown outs with your RX due to lack of power when the servos demand most of the power
    Not sure about the lack of power, I run said MMM/2200 no problem steering my stock servos and I'm powering 20 LEDs