Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

noob wants to go faster

got a stock stampede yellow xl-5 stock motor. what can i do to get some more speed? also what is the beast battery that will work in this truck?

RC Enthusiast
    dont know why but truck is super slow dont think its even doing 20. also it seems like it takes off kind of slow. it wont pull a willie unless i reverse it then pull the throttle. is that normal?

RC Enthusiast
    it has a venom 7.2 3300 in it now

RC Competitor
    You can tighten your slipper clutch in it to increase wheelies .......you shouldn't do high end battery's on the xl-5 it will burn up Your motor you should get a castle creations brushless motor or the traxxas system that comes in the slash an new stampeded extra.....

RC Enthusiast
    the motor and esc your talking about is the velineon motor and esc right?

RC Champion
    +1 on the slipper....not sure what your talking about at the end. High end batteries will burn it up????? Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kid at heart......and always playin around

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jr_casteel1999 View Post
    the motor and esc your talking about is the velineon motor and esc right?
    Ya the velineon

RC Champion
    You still have bushings in the wheels? If so change out to bearings to eliminate some friction and help it roll easier

RC Enthusiast
    what all do i need to change to bearings? any how to vids?

RC Qualifier
    Just by the velineon brushless system and never look back all water proof and will stand that pede on its tailgate without blinking even with stock batteries and just drop it in and go...but there are some cheaper options for esc's and brushless system do some homework on youtube etc...

RC Champion

If you take off this grey hub (and dont lose the pin in behind it) take the carrier apart and inside the carrier is your bushings. 2 for every corner of the truck. Remove the bushings and install 5x11x4 bearings.
    The bearing carrier is the part that has the steering linkage attached to it.
    Hope this helps a little

Last edited by theant; 02-01-2013 at 11:03 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    yea thanks theant. i just ordered my tool kit so ill dig into it when it gets here. any links to some good bearings?

RC Champion
    I hear that avid makes good bearings. But honestly i think the traxxas sealed bearings are just fine. The part number is Trx5116 and you will need 8 of them. It is a good cheap upgrade.

RC Enthusiast
    Ordering now!

RC Enthusiast
    Can't find the avid bearings? Got a link?

RC Champion
    Duplicate post
    Last edited by theant; 02-01-2013 at 11:44 PM.

RC Champion
    Also i think you can go up to 9.6 volts for the batteries. I believe the only difference between the yellow and blue xl5 esc's is that the blue one now has low voltage detection for running lipos. That would give you more speed too. Dont take my word for it though maybe someone else will chime in on that. Ive seen some duratrax batteries for good prices. An 8.4v 5000 mah for $40.

RC Champion
    Avidrc.com

RC Enthusiast
    Got it! Thank you

RC Qualifier
    On the esc the yellow dose NOT have low voltage detection but the blue ESC does have low Voltage detection but I too am now looking in to lipos sorry I would just go brushless now in your case. I think that I though will go to lipos first anyone agree or n disagree?

RC Enthusiast
    Any links to that dura max battery? Seen them on eBay but looks like there are 2 or 3 different kinds. Flat and hump?? Also stick

RC Champion
    Duratrax...and you will need a hump.

RC Champion
    Dtxc2070 i think is that part number for the 8.4 5000mah

RC Racer
    Keep an eye on the market place in our forum. People around here are are always selling brushless systems at good prices, I read your first post and remember you live overseas so I am not sure about shipping costs, . I was at my LHS and saw a castle system new for $122 usd so I am sure you can get something used shipped for less then that.

RC Enthusiast
    i live in ohio

RC Racer
    I am in Massachusetts . I was just in Ohio a few weeks ago. Any shops in your area?
    I saw a shop at the end of rte 80 in Indiania at the rte 69 north exit. If you are close to that it looks like a nice shop

RC Enthusiast
    we have about a dozen different ones but they are very overpriced. ive looked online and the shops seem to be charging close to double and sometimes triple on certain things.

Well find one with good prices
    Maybe go in the alley and ask for the LHS in Ohio with lowest prices on what u want
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    The only real way to go faster is to go buy a brushless system. If you get the velenion it is waterproof also get some LiPo's.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fr8cture View Post
    The only real way to go faster is to go buy a brushless system. If you get the velenion it is waterproof also get some LiPo's.
    +1
    Way better truck

RC Qualifier
    also agree brushless, but youll still notice better performance on the stock nihm's if you dont have the $$ for both brushless lipos and a charger...make sure to turn your low voltage detection on on the esc when you run lipo's, turn it off with nihm's
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Enthusiast
    will do! thanks for the info guys.

RC Enthusiast
    ok so besides the velineon motor. what is the motor of all motors and esc that will work on my stampede?

RC Racer
    That depends on your transmission, if you have yellow esc its prob a plastic gear.
    Opt 1) stay brushed, an electrify s600 is a good choice ($16 tower ) it is cheap and can be geared 19/83 faster and longer lasting then Titan
    Opt2) if it is plastic gear you will need a metal gear tranny, (40 on eBay is normal) and any brand of esc and brushless motor will work. Stay between 3400/3800 KV As a group we like the traxxas and castle creations stuff but check hobbypartz.com tocan are ok and the ez wing is ok too, for budget build but castle is the way to go IMO

And you want the mamba max pro if you go castle

RC poster
    Differences between the Yellow XL-5 and the Blue XL-5 are...
    1) Waterproof
    2) Low Voltage Detection for Li-Po Batteries

I would use caution if you're thinking about using a Li-Po battery with that ESC and a brushed motor.
    The manual for the XL-5 (#3018R) says "Input Voltage 4-8 cells NiMH; 2s LiPo" but I have seen a LiPo battery burn up a motor and ESC. I would NOT advise doing this.

First thing I would look at is the gears and tires. Have you changed either of these at all? A good mid range gear ratio with stock tires and wheels would be in the 19/90 range. Next I would check to be sure the slipper clutch is adjusted correctly. How old is the motor? has it been "well used"? It could be getting tired. Installing bearings at all 4 corners is always a good thing.

Next step I would look at for more speed is the Velineon Brushless System (#3350). This system will give you slightly longer run times, more speed, more power, the ability to use 3s 25C LiPo batteries and hit speeds of over 65MPH.

Disclaimer about the speed.
    Yes this truck can hit speeds of over 65 MPH HOWEVER, it is not designed to be run under normal conditions when set up for high speed runs. You should only run the truck in short bursts, "drag racing", on smooth flat surfaces when geared for speed. I would keep the gearing closer to the 19/86 or 25/86 gears for normal bashing.

No matter what you do always keep an eye on your motor. Letting it get too hot is a bad thing. If you can't touch the motor, it's too hot. This is usually caused by over gearing, i.e. too big of a pinion. Your motor will fail if it gets too hot.

I hope this info helps you out...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by theant View Post
    Ya the velineon

You can't run a Velineon motor (3 phase) with an XL-5 (2 phase) ESC. You can run a brushed motor with a VXL3 ESC though.

RC Racer
    I think he ment Venom battery, I was confused too but re read the post.

RC Racer
    I just went brushless and I love it, but with my same truck Stampede I had around 04 I hooked it up with a Novak Super Rooster ESC and A P2K pro2 trinity motor, and I had that same setup for all these years until I just went brushless and it still worked. I use to do low 30's with it, but that was fast one time. Now this brushless is RAW!!!
    GOOD LUCK

RC Enthusiast
    what about the castle mamba monster motor and esc?