RC Competitor

Upgrades for my new, first Rusty

I got a Rustler xl-5 for Christmas, and everything I had was box stock. I'm looking for some upgrades besides VXL (I plan to go sidewinder 4600kv: cheaper, and I'm not looking for insane speeds) and I currently have
    the following -
    - RPM front wide bumper
    - Wheelie bar
    - Traxxas EZ Peak Charger
    - Venom 7.2v 4600mah battery
    - Racer's Edge 8.4v 5000mah battery

Any other good upgrades that I should get? (I go by a "If it's not broke, don't fix it" rule)
    And also, what are some good gearings? (List specifically for sidewinder or titan please)

RC Competitor
    If there are any good reasons on why to get VXL over sidewinder, I'm all ears
    Also, I just put in the larger pinion gear to try a few speed runs but I hear people frequently fry their motors that way

RC Competitor
    ONE LAST THING
    If you know of any good looking bulldog bodies, post a link because I really love the style of them
    So many questions....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by iGoRusty View Post
    I got a Rustler xl-5 for Christmas, and everything I had was box stock. I'm looking for some upgrades besides VXL (I plan to go sidewinder 4600kv: cheaper, and I'm not looking for insane speeds) and I currently have
    the following -
    - RPM front wide bumper
    - Wheelie bar
    - Traxxas EZ Peak Charger
    - Venom 7.2v 4600mah battery
    - Racer's Edge 8.4v 5000mah battery

Any other good upgrades that I should get? (I go by a "If it's not broke, don't fix it" rule)
    And also, what are some good gearings? (List specifically for sidewinder or titan please)
    If you think you'll get insane speeds with a Venom 7.2v 4600mah battery , You'll hv to be kidding . Lipo is the only way for fast runs . JMO
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Competitor
    i have the sv2/4600kv setup in a stampede,you are really gonna want a lipo once you go brushless.good luck

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rhardy60 View Post
    If you think you'll get insane speeds with a Venom 7.2v 4600mah battery , You'll hv to be kidding . Lipo is the only way for fast runs . JMO
    Like I said in my first post, I'm not looking for insane speeds. Just got the battery for more run time Tried out the larger pinion for the speed runs and it was ok but i went back to smaller one.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by diggerdad View Post
    i have the sv2/4600kv setup in a stampede,you are really gonna want a lipo once you go brushless.good luck
    Is there a speed or power difference?

RC Enthusiast
    I would upgrade the caster blocks, steering blocks and related turnbuckles to the Traxxas aluminum ones. They are stronger than the stock plastic ones and look WAY nicer too. I also replaced the rear axle carriers to the Traxxas aluminum ones too.
    "Lead, follow or get the F*&K out of the way!"

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by scaccima View Post
    I would upgrade the caster blocks, steering blocks and related turnbuckles to the Traxxas aluminum ones. They are stronger than the stock plastic ones and look WAY nicer too. I also replaced the rear axle carriers to the Traxxas aluminum ones too.
    Thank you

RC Competitor
    I didn't know about the power up program before, so I may opt for that instead of sidewinder... I appreciate all help, opinions, and advice given so far

RC Champion
    Like I said in my first post, I'm not looking for insane speeds. Just got the battery for more run time Tried out the larger pinion for the speed runs and it was ok but i went back to smaller one.
    Lipo will give you more usable run time. You will get full power till the pack hits the low voltage setting in the ESC.
    Nickel batteries start to slow down as soon as you start rolling and gets slower and slower till the pack runs out.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Racer
    I have a Rusty XL5. If all goes well, I'll be getting my Sidewinder, 4600kv combo tomorrow. I decided to go with the Castle instead of the VXL because of the ability to plug it in to my computer for programming and with my very limited experience it seems that most people favor Castle over VXL. The new Sidewinder SV3 ESC is waterproof too, just like the VXL. They are both about the same price, even with the power up. As far as one having more power than the other, idk.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Climax View Post
    I have a Rusty XL5. If all goes well, I'll be getting my Sidewinder, 4600kv combo tomorrow. I decided to go with the Castle instead of the VXL because of the ability to plug it in to my computer for programming and with my very limited experience it seems that most people favor Castle over VXL. The new Sidewinder SV3 ESC is waterproof too, just like the VXL. They are both about the same price, even with the power up. As far as one having more power than the other, idk.
    Let me know how that goes, please

RC Racer
    ...I go by a "If it's not broke, don't fix it" rule...
    I go with the same basic philosophy and these are the fixes/upgrades I've gone with on my Rustler XL5:

You're already covered with the front bumper and the wheelie bar. I went RPM front bumper and RPM rear bumper mount with the Traxxas wheelie bar.

When you break the caster blocks, go with Traxxas or STRC aluminum c blocks. Use some blue loctite on the screw threads that go into the block.

When you break the steering blocks or stub axle carriers, go with RPM replacements.

If the shock caps keep popping off, go with the Traxxas aluminum shock caps.

When you bend the shock shafts, get a set of Traxxas TiNi shock shafts.

I've replaced the front shock tower with RPM but only because I stripped a shock mounting hole.

When you get tired of the hinge pins backing out, pick up an STRC hinge pin kit. You'll need the Rustler VXL tie bar (Traxxas part 2532) on your XL-5 to take up the play in the longer front hinge pins.

If the bushings in the steering blocks and rear carriers last until you go brushless, replace them with bearings. 5x11x4 bearings, eight required to replace those bushings.

I upgraded the front springs to Losi 2" orange and the rear springs to Losi 2.5" blue and I'm happy with the results. Cheap and easy! I think I went to 40wt shock oil, too. Maybe 50wt, I don't remember. I've used 30wt, 40wt and 50wt and with my limited experience I don't see a huge difference. The Rustler is a better truck than I am a driver.

I upgraded to the Velineon system after burning up the first Titan motor. I went to lipos soon after. Man, what a difference! 2S lipo is the way to go since you're not looking for insane speeds. 3S is borderline deranged.

Oh yeah, I also upgraded the radio system to 2.4ghz. I have more money into this XL5 now than had I just bought the VXL to begin with! It was fun upgrading though.

RC poster
    I haven't had good luck with the traxxas wheelie bar, already broke 2 of them so I ordered a wheelie bar from swami............
    hopefully it wont break

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by altidude View Post
    I go with the same basic philosophy and these are the fixes/upgrades I've gone with on my Rustler XL5:

You're already covered with the front bumper and the wheelie bar. I went RPM front bumper and RPM rear bumper mount with the Traxxas wheelie bar.

When you break the caster blocks, go with Traxxas or STRC aluminum c blocks. Use some blue loctite on the screw threads that go into the block.

When you break the steering blocks or stub axle carriers, go with RPM replacements.

If the shock caps keep popping off, go with the Traxxas aluminum shock caps.

When you bend the shock shafts, get a set of Traxxas TiNi shock shafts.

I've replaced the front shock tower with RPM but only because I stripped a shock mounting hole.

When you get tired of the hinge pins backing out, pick up an STRC hinge pin kit. You'll need the Rustler VXL tie bar (Traxxas part 2532) on your XL-5 to take up the play in the longer front hinge pins.

If the bushings in the steering blocks and rear carriers last until you go brushless, replace them with bearings. 5x11x4 bearings, eight required to replace those bushings.

I upgraded the front springs to Losi 2" orange and the rear springs to Losi 2.5" blue and I'm happy with the results. Cheap and easy! I think I went to 40wt shock oil, too. Maybe 50wt, I don't remember. I've used 30wt, 40wt and 50wt and with my limited experience I don't see a huge difference. The Rustler is a better truck than I am a driver.

I upgraded to the Velineon system after burning up the first Titan motor. I went to lipos soon after. Man, what a difference! 2S lipo is the way to go since you're not looking for insane speeds. 3S is borderline deranged.

Oh yeah, I also upgraded the radio system to 2.4ghz. I have more money into this XL5 now than had I just bought the VXL to begin with! It was fun upgrading though.
    Wow, thanks! I'll be sure to upgrade to all those things if stock parts happen to break (probably will soon with my driving)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by faded03cobra View Post
    I haven't had good luck with the traxxas wheelie bar, already broke 2 of them so I ordered a wheelie bar from swami............
    hopefully it wont break
    My rustler pulls wheelies if i start off full throttle which I like to do, so i figured I'd need a wheelie bar. Went with the first one I saw

RC poster
    My rustler pulls wheelies if i start off full throttle which I like to do, so i figured I'd need a wheelie bar. Went with the first one I saw
    Mine as well. Im just tired of buying wheelie bars, so I'm trying a different one

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by faded03cobra View Post
    Mine as well. Im just tired of buying wheelie bars, so I'm trying a different one
    Well, how long did you get out of the traxxas wheelie bars...

RC Champion
    I was trying to get some decent speed runs out of my Bandit last night and it wheelied anytime I went full throttle.
    I was doing maybe 50mph and it would still wheelie.
    Ended up cart wheeling for about 30 feet on the last run and broke the bell crank at the turnbuckle.
    Car only has a 4000kV castle motor and 2S 8.2A lipo.

I bought a RPM Rear Bumper/Wheelie bar mount and a stock traxxas wheelie today for the car, will see how it goes on Friday.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    I was trying to get some decent speed runs out of my Bandit last night and it wheelied anytime I went full throttle.
    I was doing maybe 50mph and it would still wheelie.
    Ended up cart wheeling for about 30 feet on the last run and broke the bell crank at the turnbuckle.
    Car only has a 4000kV castle motor and 2S 8.2A lipo.

I bought a RPM Rear Bumper/Wheelie bar mount and a stock traxxas wheelie today for the car, will see how it goes on Friday.
    Pretty nice speed with a 2s. It wasnt any wind pushing the car up or back?

RC Champion
    I do have the rpm wide front bumper and no extra weight on the front.
    The bumper is mounted the normal way so it could be acting as a wing lifting up the front.
    I see people mounting it upside down so that it is flat. I may do that but I don't care for the way it looks.

RC Competitor
    Tie a rock onto the front.

RC Champion
    My brother grabbed about 3lbs of wheel weights from work, he uses about 1.5lbs on his bandit/rustler.
    I may do the same.

RC Competitor
    It's so cool to have a family in the hobby, instead of being alone...