Thread: Today's Issue.

RC Racer

Today's Issue.

Today I lost the bearing on the slipper destroying the gear. The difference this time is the outer part of the bearing melted into the aluminum traxxas motor mount. It will not come out. Think I'm done with 3s batteries. Going to go with a kingz head mount this time and new hobby people 2s.

You need to get the metal bearing adapter. Everything else is fine. That adapter is plastic and it WILL melt. When it melts, the spur gear will be eaten and your bearing might go with it. I think it costs $3.00, well worth the investment.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    +1 El Sob
    Your upgrade to the alloy Traxxas motor mount is a good one. The Traxxas bearing adapter TRA6893X or King Headz KHZ-TRX-6893 bearing adapter will help you there. The thing with the King Headz is you are upgraded to a larger 10x19x5 bearing.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Get a better bearing that wont fail? If the steel bearing is getting so hot that its welding itself to the aluminum mount, the bearing is the failure. Motor bearings spin @ 60,000 +rpms and dont fail. No way that center shaft is spinning that fast. The bering is the week point. After replacing my stock center bearing with a higher quality unit, the plastic bearing support has been fine...
    Last edited by rag6; 02-01-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    I now have the King Headz Motor mount with the larger bearing and the King headz bearing addapter. Hope this helps. The Traxxas parts can't hold up in the car with 3s.

RC Champion
    The plastic slipper shaft bearing adaptor cant hold up to 1s!
    Single biggest failure item in the whole truck and should be the very first upgrade. Something about plastic spinning inside of metal at high speeds doesnt fair well.
    Once the plascit melts everything else will follow right behind. You get that much wobble in the bearing its going to stress it.
    Upgrade all of it you you will be done with that.
    May as well start with making the Slipper Erevo spec, aluminum or brass slipper shaft bearing adaptor and King Headz motor mount.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    The plastic slipper shaft bearing adaptor cant hold up to 1s!
    Single biggest failure item in the whole truck and should be the very first upgrade. Something about plastic spinning inside of metal at high speeds doesnt fair well.
    Once the plascit melts everything else will follow right behind. You get that much wobble in the bearing its going to stress it.
    Upgrade all of it you you will be done with that.
    May as well start with making the Slipper Erevo spec, aluminum or brass slipper shaft bearing adaptor and King Headz motor mount.
    I agree
    It should be stock on the slash
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    How do people keep bearings and motor mounts when useing bigger motors and 3 or 4 cell? I had the upgrades when I had this failure. Anyone looking for some traxxas 3cell lipo's? Only a month old .

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rvrslt1 View Post
    How do people keep bearings and motor mounts when useing bigger motors and 3 or 4 cell? I had the upgrades when I had this failure. Anyone looking for some traxxas 3cell lipo's? Only a month old .
    Were you running the plastic slipper shaft bearing adaptor, if so that was the problem.

Ive run the King Headz mount and aluminum adaptor with MMM/2200 and 2650 as well as a Tekin RX8/T8 2650 on 3 and 4s with no problems whatsoever. Also keep in mind that if you run in harsh environments with the stock center shaft and the cover on you will need to take it apart and clean it often. Dirt and grit seems to pile up on the front side of the bearing. Ditch the cover and put a Tekno center dog bone in there, problem solved.

RC Racer
    I had the kings Headz bearing adapter and traxxas aluminum motor mount and it still killed bearings. Now I have the kings Headz mount so we will see how it goes. I have 2 new 2s then I'm going to try the 3s again.

RC Enthusiast
    Where can you get a better bearing than the traxxas ones?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I had the kings Headz bearing adapter and traxxas aluminum motor mount and it still killed bearings. Now I have the kings Headz mount so we will see how it goes. I have 2 new 2s then I'm going to try the 3s again.
    wow!! you must really driven this to the ground, dont you? lol j/k. mine on the other hand running it with the stock plastic adapter on 4s and with that being said, i have mine set-up for onroad, so its a whole different point of view.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Racer
    I dont think I'm hard on it at all. That is why I ask others what they are doing to keep the truck togeather with the bigger motors and 3 or 4 cell's. If the new KH motor mount does not due the trick not sure what to do. Maybe I just got a LEMON!

RC Champion
    Is your center shaft bent at all? It could be putting extra stress on the bearing and overheating it. Worth a look. I've had no problem with my Kingheadz mount, aluminium bearing adapter or bearing's. Going on 2 year's now with the Kinghead'z original bearing and still roll's smooth as butter.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

Quote Originally Posted by BR photo View Post
    Where can you get a better bearing than the traxxas ones?
    Avid rc, Boca Bearing,Acer Racing
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Something isnt right if you have all the upgrades and cant keep it together on a stock motor. Are you getting it wet and not maintaining the bearings or allowing dirt to collect on the front side? Ive only blown one bearing there and it was from the stock set up. Since I made the upgrades Ive had the same bearing in there over a year now with a high powered motor on 3 and 4s.