RC Qualifier

Question Full rebuild....any tips ?

Just looking for a few pointers guys.

I've ripped apart my sons MERV....pretty much down to the last bolt trying to figure out why we had no drive to the front wheels.

Every bolt is relatively well organised.
    Laptop is set up on the work bench with the explded view.

I guess what I need to know is the stuff you've learnt from experience.
    Currently the clutch is out all together.
    I've no real issue with re assembly, I hope, just not too sure how I know when it's tight enough or too tight.
    Gear set is out together with the motor. I noticed there was no lube in there. Is that normal ?
    I'll be shimming both the diffs (using the guides) should be ok with that.
    How do I make sure the front arms are correctly put back together with regards to wheel alignment etc ?

Any pointers at all would be much appreciated. We're hanging to get the MERV back on track.
    Cheers
    G

RC Racer
    Stock alignment I believe is to tighten the pillow balls down untill the thread disappears. There should be no lube in the transmission. I really can't help with how tight to put every thing together. I use a drill to take mine apart and to put it back together. I just have the torque setting on 2 so I don't strip anything. Always has worked for me. My merv is currently completely apart to.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Thanks
    A drill would be a good idea. What sort do you use ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Best to snug bolts by hand so they are perfect.on the alignment that's a good starting point then fine tune it. Page 22 in the manual

RC Qualifier
    I got a 4 volt drill and hold it with 2 fingers tightening screws. When it kicks just let go and your not to tight. The clutch on it isn't sensitive enough for these tiny little screws. Oh, take a tapered punch and slide all the bearings on it and wiggle them to see if they are sloppy/ spin ok. I needed 7 in my last tear down of the 4x8x3mm ones for outer wheel bearings and drive shaft/ pinion in the diffs. They are to small to check by hand. To get wheel alignment back to stock look at stock pictures on traxxas web page to compare to get you close.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys...all good info

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Every time you take it apart keep it well organized but try to remember which screws go where in case something happens and they get messed up. For example, cats, in my case. eventually you won't have to stay super organized because you always know where every screw goes. Granted, I break mine A LOT but I don't need to stay very organized at all.