RC poster

TRX 3.3 Engine Troubles

Hello all, recently got an original slayer 4x4 with 3.3. The ez start will turn the engine for a couple of seconds then just stop. i took the cooling head off this morning and turned the engine without the head with the EZ start and it worked fine. I then put the head back on and same problem. i have tried heating the block with a hair dryer and also had no affect. Any help would be nice, Thank you.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like your flooding your engine. Prime the engine with your finger over the pipe for 2-4 seconds. The remove your finger and try to start it. If that's not the problem, your EZ-start wand or EZ-start motor it bad. Personally, I like the pull start better. I suggest you get that because it's much less of a pain in the neck and without the EZ-start, you lower your center of gravity on the vehicle. Just my $0.02
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

Yep, either hydrolocking, the battery needs charging or the compression is pretty high. What may help is to loosen the glow plug a twist or two until it starts and then tighten it back up.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Is there a certain pull start I should look for?

RC Enthusiast
    The ez start motor could be going bad also

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletnjm View Post
    Is there a certain pull start I should look for?
    Best one is just the good old Traxxas pull start (Part #TRA5170), but before you go buying the pull start, try doing what Double G said, by loosening the glow plug until it starts, then tightening it up.

RC poster
    Hey guys quick update i went ahead and loosened the plug it worked for a little, but ended up with the same issue, stopping. I think the quick start is going im just gonna buy a pull start. I think that is probalbly the best move in the long run anyway.

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys quick update i went ahead and loosened the plug it worked for a little, but ended up with the same issue, stopping. I think the quick start is going im just gonna buy a pull start. I think that is probalbly the best move in the long run anyway.
    Good idea, best thing I've ever done. Good luck!

RC Enthusiast
    Still sounds like your flodding the engine. You could try to fully charge the starter battery then lean the HSN and LSN about a 1/4 turn and see if you could get it start while your waiting on the pull start. If its really bad out of tune you could have some reall fun with the pull start. When you get your pull start, don't forget to get a glow starter too! I really like my Lipo glow starter.

RC poster
    Hey guys this morning I decided to give it another shot, and had the Ez start charge through the night. I took the glow plug out and turned the engine and had fuel spraying out at me so i got most of the flood out. It then continued and i got a little annoyed so i took the head off and cranked it to let more fuel out. But i did a little reading and was reminded to check the carb so i took it off and found to my surprise a bunch of gummed up fuel sitting right after the carb. i assume it was never ran empty and the fuel just sat down there. So im planning on taking them engine out and going through it any thing to look out for?
    Thank You for all the help!

RC Qualifier
    Mine was gummed up as well (Still is as a matter of fact) and I couldn't get my piston out even after man handling it so I just put it away and never picked it back up. I'm hoping to get a new 3.3 soon. But mine kind of looked like metal shavings and gum but nothing was rubbing. That's why my nitros have been out of commission because I shared an engine between the two. I suggest you give it a good clean with WD-40 and make sure all the bearings are good. Then put everything back together and make sure it spins nicely.

RC poster
    Hey guys quick question i just disasembed the engine and was spinning it and the piston is binding up at the top, any suggestions everything looks ok i just dont understand.
    Thank you

You'll note that the piston does not have rings because the sleeve is tapered which means it gets smaller towards the top so that it can build and maintain compression.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    hey guys just trying to start the engine again and right when it starts gettin the start sound it floods how can i keep it from flooding?

RC Qualifier
    Lean it out

RC poster
    I finally got it running thank you all for the GREAT HELP!!!!!!