RC Competitor

Which Motor+ESC is Best?

Thinking about upgrading my motor and esc. My first motor "stock" failed in less than 30 days of having my pede. Got another one though and put the dual fans and heatsink on it and bought the traxxas aluminum motor plate and mount to help take off some of the heat, it has lasted for about 9 months now. Was thinking of going with a castle set that would be more powerful without the worry of overheating. Also going to invest in some better cvds, is there any out there that dont require changing bearing sizes and carriers?

RC Qualifier
    I Can't help with the motor question, But I put MIP X-Duty cvd's on the front and rear. No mods need to install.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Competitor
    I seen where people where talking about the old ones and the new ones, which ones would I want to get if I get them? And thanks for the reply

RC Qualifier
    I have the new ones. I'm told the old ones are hard to find. I don't know why others want the old style. They use a pin for the hex like the factory Traxxas axles. I've asked and have not gotten a response. I can tell you that I have no issues with the new style ones. Just make sure to use red Loctite on the grub screws. Clean and dry with alcohol, apply Loctite, allow 24 hours for Loctite to dry. Then bash away....To get grubs screws back out for whatever reason. Use a soldering gun. Touch the soldering gun tip to the grub screw. It will soften up the loctite and allow you to easily remove the grub screws for servicing.
    BTW, this is all stuff that I've learned here on this forum. Great place to hang out...
    Last edited by ramflames; 01-27-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ramflames View Post
    I have the new ones. I'm told the old ones are hard to find. I don't know why others want the old style. They use a pin for the hex like the factory Traxxas axles. I've asked and have not gotten a response. I can tell you that I have no issues with the new style ones. Just make sure to use red Loctite on the grub screws. Clean and dry with alcohol, apply Loctite, allow 24 hours for Loctite to dry. Then bash away....To get grubs screws back out for whatever reason. Use a soldering gun. Touch the soldering gun tip to the grub screw. It will soften up the loctite and allow you to easily remove the grub screws for servicing.
    BTW, this is all stuff that I've learned here on this forum. Great place to hang out...
    ^^^Definitely good advice man!^^^

Op,
    The MMP (Mamba Max pro) esc with the castle 2400kv is a good combo, however it's already discontinued.

The next best is probably the next one available, which is the Mamba Max Pro with the castle 3800kv motor.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 01-27-2013 at 11:32 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    ^^^Definitely good advice man!^^^

Op,
    The MMP (Mamba Max pro) esc with the castle 2400kv is a good combo, however it's already discontinued.

The next best is probably the next one available, which is the Mamba Max Pro with the castle 3800kv motor.
    When and why did they discontinue the 2400kv? What are they replacing it with? That's a very popular motor can't see why they would discontinue

To the op: there are only a few options for cvd's but the general concensus on the 2 best are tekno and MIPS I have both and they both have their good and bad points. But if you don't want to change your bearing carriers you will have to go with mip.
    Last edited by paulfromtulsa; 01-27-2013 at 11:49 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    When and why did they discontinue the 2400kv? What are they replacing it with? That's a very popular motor can't see why they would discontinue

To the op: there are only a few options for cvd's but the general concensus on the 2 best are tekno and MIPS I have both and they both have their good and bad points. But if you don't want to change your bearing carriers you will have to go with mip.
    My mistake. The 2400kv motor from castle is still available. It's the 5700kv that got discontinued.

You have the choice of 3 cvds from traxxas,tekno,mip they all are awesome it just personal taste and castle 2400kv combo is what most people go for but i did not have the cash at the time so i went with hobbywing sct pro 120a esc and the tenshock 550 4 pole 3500kv motor which is a monster on 2s and 3s running 17t pinion and a 54t spur with no heat probs...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    do not get the traxxas cvd's a lot of the slash guys are having problems with them

A few people have said that man i will always be a mip fanboy because they have never let me down no matter what i have done to them .....peace

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ramflames View Post
    I have the new ones. I'm told the old ones are hard to find. I don't know why others want the old style. They use a pin for the hex like the factory Traxxas axles. I've asked and have not gotten a response.
    Its beacuse the new style requires the use of their 17mm adapter if you have 17mm hexed wheels. And those adapters aren't compatable with some wheels.

They say they changed the design because the new one is stronger. But my son and I bash the old design pretty hard and never had any issues. Plus if I hit something so hard to break a steel pinned axle end, I'd rather have that axle end break than the stuff it's attached to.

Luckily I was able to return the new style design to the seller they were puchased from and find sellers still selling the old design. Don't get me wrong, I really like MIP's products. I just wish they'd let us as customers choose which design we'd like to purchase.
    Last edited by lowsaturn; 01-28-2013 at 11:12 AM.

RC Competitor
    Im going to buy the MIPs today then, where is the cheapest place to get the set of four? How good is the castle 2400kv combo over the stock set up? I have 2 Venom 6400 3S lipo that I have been running since I bought my pede about a year ago, I run one at a time of course. Ever since my first stock motor failed I have been easy on it, stopping about every 10 minutes for about a minute or two to let the fans cool it down but would like to have a set up that I dont have to worry about. Does that castle 2400kv combo fit in the stock location or do I need my uncle to machine me out a plastic braket? Anybody ron the xo-1 tires on the pede for street racing?

You will need to dremel the chassis to fit the motor and esc but its a monster over the tame vxl system but you need to run 3s and 4s to get the max out of it.And you cant beat mips if put together right dude....peace

RC Qualifier
    I have the 2400 on my stampede and love it. You do have to do some modding to the chassis to get the motor and esc to fit because the can is longer than the velineon. You have to dremel off the stub that the holds the esc screw. Since you dremeled off the stub that holds the esc down you will also have to figure out a way to mount your new esc. I used a snappy mount. You have to drill 2 holes in the chassis and get a longer screw and then used a bolt underneah the chassis. As far as xo-1 tires I have them on one of my slashes and love them. I have a mamba monster and 2200kv on that slash and run 6s and the tires hold up awesome with no ballooning

RC Competitor
    You guys have pictures of the motors and ESC installed? I would like to see them for reference

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jrjr6565 View Post
    You guys have pictures of the motors and ESC installed? I would like to see them for reference
    It's very easy to do. I will post a pic tonight when I get home

RC Qualifier
    heres a good thread on the 2400kv motor install
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...otor-installed

My mistake. The 2400kv motor from castle is still available. It's the 5700kv that got discontinued.
    Where did you get the info that the 5700Kv motor is discontinued? The 2 pole series are discontinued, but I never heard that the 4 poles were discontinued.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Where did you get the info that the 5700Kv motor is discontinued? The 2 pole series are discontinued, but I never heard that the 4 poles were discontinued.
    That was what I was referring to, the 5700kv 2 pole series.

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to glue my tires on to the rims evenly. I'm buying some trenchers and I remember when I repaired my stock tires I had a really hard time getting the edge of the tire to stay in the lip of the rim evenly all the way around. Is it best to do the outers first then after they dry do the inners? I was going to buy them premounted but I want to tape the insides to help out the tire at higher speeds as I heard this helps.
    Last edited by jrjr6565; 01-28-2013 at 08:02 PM.

There are a few good videos about glueing tyres. Sometimes there is some extra stuff on the lips which should be cut off before glueing them. Which side you do first, doesn't really matter.

RC Champion
    The 2400 and 3800 both are great combos. We run the 3800's in ours for the kids. Plenty of power on 2s.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC poster
    What motor plate did you use with the castle set up?

RC poster
    What motor plate did you use with the 2400 set up? Ordered the mmp and 2400 today and want to use motor plate with heatsink built in it.

RC Enthusiast
    What about the sidewinder esc and 3800kv motor ? I see that combo can be had for around 110.00 bucks. Isn't that esc a better one to have over the vxl-3s esc that come in the stock Pedes?

RC Competitor
    I'm really interested in this thread. What about waterproof stuff? The stock velineon and ESC are great because they are waterproof and I take advantage of that. Are there waterproof aftermarket combos?

RC Competitor
    The sidewinder 3 is water proof so one of the motors with that must be

RC Racer
    The stock plate work just fine. At least that is what i did with mine. Not sure if the thicker plate will work though.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Firerat View Post
    What motor plate did you use with the 2400 set up? Ordered the mmp and 2400 today and want to use motor plate with heatsink built in it.
    Stampede 4x4 vxl w/ MMP/2400kv, Mini E-Revo

RC Qualifier
    I seen where people where talking about the old ones and the new ones, which ones would I want to get if I get them? And thanks for the reply
    You couldn't get the older ones now if you tried. Some guys on ebay show the pic of them but they're all selling the new ones. MIP says they will not make any old ones even for service, so if my rear axles ever break they will be the new ones like on the front. Back ones are now about 9+ months old. I've replaced 1 shear pin on each - and that's it.
    This is on a truck that gets bashed 9 times a week on lipo racing the dog (Doberman Pinscher 4X4 geared for 30+ mph) who when he catches it likes to grab it by the tire and swing it till I tell him to stop.
    I can't think of many parts as reliable as MIP CVD's. Worth the money. Good prices at St. Louis RC on ebay. They stock parts too and ship same day.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    I can't think of many parts as reliable as MIP CVD's. Worth the money. Good prices at St. Louis RC on ebay. They stock parts too and ship same day.
    jrjr6565,
    There's also Tekno's, or the traxxas steel driveshafts.

If you search around, a lot of people either go for MIP's or Tekno's. Not that many reviews on the traxxas steel driveshafts yet.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 01-30-2013 at 12:56 PM.

RC Qualifier
    jrjr6565,
    There's also Tekno's, or the traxxas steel driveshafts.

If you search around, a lot of people either go for MIP's or Tekno's. Not that many reviews on the traxxas steel driveshafts yet.
    I went for MIP's because I like the sliding spline design better than dog bone/cup. Had those on another truck and the slots wore out rather quickly. I'm running the splined shafts on a sandy track every day for about 9 months now and they're holding up real well.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredfly View Post
    What about the sidewinder esc and 3800kv motor ? I see that combo can be had for around 110.00 bucks. Isn't that esc a better one to have over the vxl-3s esc that come in the stock Pedes?
    I also would like to know if this is good in the p4de...
    And can it handle 3s?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    I went for MIP's because I like the sliding spline design better than dog bone/cup. Had those on another truck and the slots wore out rather quickly. I'm running the splined shafts on a sandy track every day for about 9 months now and they're holding up real well.
    I have tekno's on the way, if those wear out I'll go for the hexed style MIP's.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer View Post
    I also would like to know if this is good in the p4de...
    And can it handle 3s?
    According to my experience the 3800Kv is too much amp hungry to be paired with the Sidewinder in a car like the 4x4 Pede, definately if you want to use 3S.
    The Mamba Max Pro is the better ESC to work with the 3800. I run the same ESC with a 2650Kv Castle motor.
    The weak point of the MMP is the BEC. If you have a more powerful servo than the stock one, you want a seperate BEC.

RC Competitor
    When I put these MIP CVDs on I know to use red loctite. Do I put the loctite on and let it dry for 24 hrs then put everything together? Or do I put the loctite on and then put it all together then let it dry for 24 hrs? Also I seen the tray over by jconcepts and a mesh bag too that goes over the chasis. Seems like the tray over might not release the heat as good on hot days. Anybody know where I can buy the mesh zip up bag?

RC Competitor
    When I put these MIP CVDs on I know to use red loctite. Do I put the loctite on and let it dry for 24 hrs then put everything together? Or do I put the loctite on and then put it all together then let it dry for 24 hrs? Also I seen the tray over by jconcepts and a mesh bag too that goes over the chasis. Seems like the tray over might not release the heat as good on hot days. Anybody know where I can buy the mesh zip up bag?
    emmanhello posted the link in another thread:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shroud-Cover...-/130756489479
    I ordered mine a couple days ago. Cant wait to get it!!

RC Champion
    What about the new waterproof sidewinder with a 2650kv motor? Would that be a good combo if I want to stay waterproof and just run 2s?
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    Hobbywing Has Their SC8 120amp ESC that is waterproof and it sells for around $80. Comes with a built in cooling fan.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

Try the esc ramflames has said about and a tenshock motor for a cheaper power buzz....peace