RC Racer

Having Lipo with Lipo Safety Bag In My Room??

Hello folks. Been a while since I been on here. During Spring Break, I'm planning to go with the SPC Brand of Lipo to put on my Traxxas Rustler. Ok, so now I would like to know with using a Lipo Safety bag when charging and storing the lipo, would it be okay to do this all while being set on my computer desk? Because if the lipo was to melfunction during charging or storing, wont the the fireproof safety bag prevent it from actually starting a fire and with just the exception of spreading out loads of smoke? I charge my nimh batteries in my room since thats were I usually spend my time while I let the batteries charge. Would really appreciate the feedback.

RC Champion
    Welcome back. My name is Zippogeek, and I tend to overuse the thumbs-up emoticon.

LiPo fires are only common when the pack is being misused/abused. Like "Jimmie Neutron" says, you should know by its voltage beforehand if a pack is going bad.

I always balance charge my packs; it reduces the risk of fire and in the long run extends their life. IMO, it doesn't hurt anything to balance every time, so why not just do it?

Just make sure you use the bag as a precaution and you'll be all set. I've used LiPos for a long time and have never had a problem, save for the very occasional puffed pack which has to be disposed of!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    When I first went lipo I was worried about all those horror stories. I keep all 4 of mine on the kitchen counter in lipo bags. Just follow battery instructions use your head and you will be fine. All mine are SPC 3S soft packs and not a problem.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    When I first went lipo I was worried about all those horror stories. I keep all 4 of mine on the kitchen counter in lipo bags. Just follow battery instructions use your head and you will be fine. All mine are SPC 3S soft packs and not a problem.
    Exactly.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Alright cool. Thanks so much. Planning to get a lipo safety bag as well with a metal cash box. Charge it in the bag, Store in the money box.

RC Enthusiast
    Remember to store them at a storage charge rat of 3.85V's per cell! DO NOT store them fully charged. Lipos are safe as long as you keep them in good shape. If you have a wicked crash or drop one and it dammages the case in any way, then they are a hazzard.

Well I am glad you got some answers to your questions. It is best to follow manufacturer suggestions or recommendations considering lipo maintenance and use. This forum is only for the support of Traxxas lipos so this thread will now be closed as it is not about the a Traxxas product.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power