Thread: Newby Lipo ??

RC Enthusiast

Newby Lipo ??

So I have ran my 11.1 lipos about 3 times now.. first couple of times I ran back to back within a 2 day stretch so no storage charning or anything. So after the last time I did a storage charge and got each cell to exactly 3.85 volts. sat for maybe 2 weeks on the bookcase in my house. charged them up to go run and when i put it back on the charger after wards to balance charge it the cells started out ad 3.92, 4.02, 4.00. as its charging it still charges balanced but going up .01 on each cell at a time. so the cells aren't charging at the same voltage. is this a problem?

RC Enthusiast
    What charger are you using? Some chargers ballance much better than others. Let it finish and ballance and see what happens.

voltage variation is normal to an extent but if they dont balance out at the end then your charger is not doing it job.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Enthusiast
    It the Traxxas EZ peak. I just noticed it when it started. as soon as is starts its cycle i switch the screen over to the cell board and see the charge on each cell. it hadn't even been charging for 2 min when i made this observation.

RC Enthusiast
    I have heard many great things about lipo. i also hear that you have to be very cautious in maintaning the charges. just really nervous thats all.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Most chargers do not balance all the time... that would take forever to charge and would be almost completely pointless. They balance at the end of the charge... so until the charger has completed the charge, cell voltages being off a little do not mean a whole lot.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, so after 1 hour of charging we are charging at .2 amp and cells are 4.05, 4.20, 4.19.

.2 amps is telling me that the charger is bringing up the two lower cells to match the one completed cell.... and that it still has not completed the charge.

.2 would seem like it would take forever to bring that up to 4.20v.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Yes, it will.

RC Enthusiast
    So I stopped the charger to go out for the night. When I stopped the charge it was 4.05, 4.20, 4.19. When I restarted the charger cells were 3.93, 4.20, 4.19. Seems like the number 1 cell has gone bad. I don't understand this. 2 weeks and i have done everything by the book.

RC Enthusiast
    Battery balanced charged for 6.5 hours last night. Cell 1 is still at 3.93. What are my options here?

RC Champion
    I had a 3s 25c 5000mah battery one cell went bad for no apparent reason , #2 cell would not hold a charge , Traxxas support told me no more than .05v per cell off . So now I know what a lipo looks like inside .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Enthusiast
    First, if you have another lipo to charge, charge it and see if the cells ballance. If it does, then you know it is a problem with the battery. It sounds like you have a bad cell. I would call Traxxas if the battery is 2 weeks old and using their charger. They should replace it no problem.

RC Enthusiast
    I do have 2 batteries. unfortunately today, while testing out the new sand paws I rolled the truck around a turn (going super slow btw) and the positive lead on my good battery seperated from the cell. so now I have 2 useless batteries. Lipo's looking like they are not worth the added performance. Nimh batteries still going strong after a year.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 01CivicSed View Post
    I do have 2 batteries. unfortunately today, while testing out the new sand paws I rolled the truck around a turn (going super slow btw) and the positive lead on my good battery seperated from the cell. so now I have 2 useless batteries. Lipo's looking like they are not worth the added performance. Nimh batteries still going strong after a year.

That should not have happened that easy. Call Traxxas tomorrow!