RC Competitor

5862 Big Bore Aluminum Shock Set

Trying to figure out what good these are? Stock shocks are notorious for breaking the top cap. Looking at buying aluminum shock caps to keep the kid on the road. Willing to spend a few extra bucks to get the big bore shocks but they look like they have plastic caps too. So, why are these any better than the stock shocks?

The caps on the big bores are aluminum. The big bores are just better in pretty much every aspect. Hard anodized and teflon coated aluminum bodies, aluminum caps, ti-ni hardened shock shafts. Very nice upgrade over stock.

RC Competitor
    In that case, that's money well spent. Thanks Harry.

RC Qualifier
    I did some research on them and heard a lot of good things about them as well pretty much everything harry said, I ordered them yesterday hopefully they'll be in within a few days, I was going to go w/ the proline powerstrokes but I'm not racing right now or doing anything serious so I don't think I need a 72$ set of shocks and at around half the price I think the big bores are well worth it

Have them both,and have nothing bad to say about either,I do like the dual progressive springs on the power strokes. In fact I think I will pick up another set before the season starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    I did some research on them and heard a lot of good things about them as well pretty much everything harry said, I ordered them yesterday hopefully they'll be in within a few days, I was going to go w/ the proline powerstrokes but I'm not racing right now or doing anything serious so I don't think I need a 72$ set of shocks and at around half the price I think the big bores are well worth it
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Have you seen the new gtr shocks from traxxas they are so big they look like 1/8 scale shocks. Last time I was at the LHS drooling over the 4x4 ultimate that had them on it I was like holy cow look at the size of shocks on that thing. The outside of the "big bore" shock would fit inside those gtr's

No, I guess my lhs doesn't have them yet. But thanks for the heads up.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    Have you seen the new gtr shocks from traxxas they are so big they look like 1/8 scale shocks. Last time I was at the LHS drooling over the 4x4 ultimate that had them on it I was like holy cow look at the size of shocks on that thing. The outside of the "big bore" shock would fit inside those gtr's

RC Qualifier
    I have the big bores and they feel nice and smooth compared to my plastic ones.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

The issue with the Ultra shocks is not the plastic caps, it's the threads on the body of the shock. In my experience those are the ones that deform and allow the the shock to "spill its guts."
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    What gtr shocks can i use on the rear of my slash. Are the ones that just came out different than the revo ones

Yup! They have been re-engineered for the lighter weight of these trucks, and different spring and damping rates needed for non cantilever suspensions.
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

Just looked them up,they look sweet,I think I might get a set of those over the pro lines.
    And save a couple bucks too.

RC Qualifier
    Here is what I found on the traxxas site.

Performance-proven in extreme terrain by the Revo and Summit models, Traxxas GTR shocks represent the peak of suspension technology and now set the standard for short-course damping and control. Shock length has been customized for Slash 4X4 Ultimate to deliver track-ready suspension travel, and the hard-anodized shock bodies have 13mm bores to hold 76% more oil than the standard Slash 4X4's Ultra Shocks. The GTR shocks feature PTFE-coated bores for nearly frictionless piston travel, and their slick titanium-nitride coated shafts resist scuffing, increase durability, and eliminate "stiction." The shocks are sealed by unique X-rings to keep oil in and dirt out for smooth, consistent damping and plush suspension action, lap after lap. Between runs, spring reload and ride height changes are as simple as turning the threaded spring collars--no clips or spacers required.

Part # for front shocks 7461x Says they dont come with springs though weird Rear shocks # 7462x

Ebay hack a truck deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Traxxas-...item5d39b40bdc

These are not the revo shocks though.

They felt so smooth on that ultimate at the local hobby store.
    Last edited by bigdodge44150; 02-01-2013 at 04:42 PM.

I'm sold,to late to get to the lhs,they close as 6,I'll have to order them tomorrow. I have more springs than I know what to do with,but if the diameter is bigger they may require a bigger spring?

Performance-proven in extreme terrain by the Revo and Summit models, Traxxas GTR shocks represent the peak of suspension technology and now set the standard for short-course damping and control. Shock length has been customized for Slash 4X4 Ultimate to deliver track-ready suspension travel, and the hard-anodized shock bodies have 13mm bores to hold 76% more oil than the standard Slash 4X4's Ultra Shocks. The GTR shocks feature PTFE-coated bores for nearly frictionless piston travel, and their slick titanium-nitride coated shafts resist scuffing, increase durability, and eliminate "stiction." The shocks are sealed by unique X-rings to keep oil in and dirt out for smooth, consistent damping and plush suspension action, lap after lap. Between runs, spring reload and ride height changes are as simple as turning the threaded spring collars--no clips or spacers required.

Part # for front shocks 7461x Says they dont come with springs though weird Rear shocks # 7462x

Ebay hack a truck deal

Last edited by billy-bones; 02-01-2013 at 04:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe traxxas should hire me as a salesman LOL.

RC Racer
    Billy you are hysterical. The big bores have been on my wish list. We bash and I have bent my rear shafts twice each side. I bought the hardened Tini shafts however they were for the fronts. I think it was a sign to forget the shock rebuild and get the real McCoy.

I always enjoy your comments, your insight and the pics of your trucks!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    You could get the gtr or power strokes for the same price

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I'm sold,to late to get to the lhs,they close as 6,I'll have to order them tomorrow. I have more springs than I know what to do with,but if the diameter is bigger they may require a bigger spring?
    These shocks look awesome! But that was my concern too about the springs. Is Traxxas gonna sell spring tuning kits for these? If not, what springs are we gonna use now because I highly doubt Losi springs are gonna fit. Maybe Losi 1/8th springs?

Most definitely a sign,I still have a set of Tini rear shafts,for the stock shocks, still in the bag.
    Guess I felt lazy, and buying the big bores was easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Next perce View Post
    Billy you are hysterical. The big bores have been on my wish list. We bash and I have bent my rear shafts twice each side. I bought the hardened Tini shafts however they were for the fronts. I think it was a sign to forget the shock rebuild and get the real McCoy.

I always enjoy your comments, your insight and the pics of your trucks!!!!!!

RC Competitor
    These fit on a 2WD Slash?

Ebay hack a truck deal

RC Competitor
    Anybody try those Atomik-RC shocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    These fit on a 2WD Slash?

They should considering that the Slash 4x4 originally came with ultra or big bore shocks, just like the 2wd models.

Not sure, but you may need different hardware to mount them.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    These shocks look awesome! But that was my concern too about the springs. Is Traxxas gonna sell spring tuning kits for these? If not, what springs are we gonna use now because I highly doubt Losi springs are gonna fit. Maybe Losi 1/8th springs?
    They have a few different spring rates here they are look under shocks [gtr]

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...7L_parts_0.pdf
    Last edited by bigdodge44150; 02-02-2013 at 04:56 PM.

How about losi 10t springs? Arent they around the same diameter as the new bb's???
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

I cant see where it says the diameter? I'll look again
    They have a few different spring rates here they are look under shocks [gtr]

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...7L_parts_0.pdf

RC Competitor
    On the 4x4 forums ive heard of people using the Team-Associated 13mm springs
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...k-Spring-Kit-8

Another good thing I just remembered about GTR shocks is the self-bleeding caps. Those are the best invention ever!!!! Perfect shocks and perfectly matched every time! I just built a set of Blitz ESE shocks for a friend, with the same design and forgot just how awesome they are!

RC Competitor

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    They should considering that the Slash 4x4 originally came with ultra or big bore shocks, just like the 2wd models.

Not sure, but you may need different hardware to mount them.
    ya funny i seen this i emailed traxxas awhile ago about the slash 4x4 gtr shocks and they said the they would be to stiff
    even the lowest spring weight is like 3+ but i will be hoping the losi springs fit on these

they look to good for my slash build
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    ya funny i seen this i emailed traxxas awhile ago about the slash 4x4 gtr shocks and they said the they would be to stiff
    even the lowest spring weight is like 3+ but i will be hoping the losi springs fit on these

they look to good for my slash build
    Losi 1/10th springs are way smaller diameter than GTR's. Maybe their 1/8th springs will work. If not, I'm sure there's something out there that will fit well.

RC Competitor
    does any one know when the shocks will be on amain