Why I Want Trenchers...

Hey guys, this is why I want to get the Pro Line Trenchers.

If you look closely at the picture, you can see other tears and rips that I've patched with super glue. I can't believe these things are STILL tearing. I run in snow, fluffy, soft, snow. Not gravel, dirt, rocks, or street use. Am I doing something wrong here? Is it normal for this many tears? I'm going to take the fake bead lock rings off, and if the tires still tear, I'll pull the trigger on the Trencher X's. Also, while I was looking at the tires, I found this. Again,

Not the best day ever though. I'm kinda hoping the tires do tear, I REALLY like those Trenchers!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 01-31-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    How do trenchers compare to the stock tires when it comes to rock crawling? The stickiness of the stock tires have been really impressive for this type of driving

Actually trenchers dont compare. Trenchers are stiffer and sturdier, better for speed and general off road driving but they lack the soft flexibility of the stock canyons that makes the canyons hold on to the rocks so well. The only other tire that I know of that has the soft flexibility of the stock tire ( in monster truck size) are those special soft compound Moab tires. Even RC4WD tires dont flex like the canyons. But flexibility is readily found in the 1/10 size crawler tires
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    If you look closely at the picture, you can see other tears and rips that I've patched with super glue. I can't believe these things are STILL tearing. I run in snow, fluffy, soft, snow. Not gravel, dirt, rocks, or street use. Am I doing something wrong here? Is it normal for this many tears? I'm going to take the fake bead lock rings off, and if the tires still tear, I'll pull the trigger on the Trencher X's.
    I have learnt not to do it but if your not concentrating and corner hard ont he road the tyre will be pushed towrds the inside and it exposes the beadlock. the beadlock then rubs the road and gets big gouges in it. subsequently when you do a jump or something the tyre presses onto the beadlock and the gouged area slits the tyre.
    I have heaps of cuts in my tyres and i haven't fixed them (i should) but they don't seem to have got any bigger yet.
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough

RC Racer
    Running in (fluffy, soft) snow doesn't give the tires much roll resistance, so they balloon more.
    Then there's the cold. Cold makes rubber compounds stiff and hard. That, plus the increased ballooning, will cause your tire tears.

Cold has the same effect on all plastic parts. It becomes harder en brittle, thus breaks quite a lot easier.
    Especially the thin plastic of the bulkheads and also stock a arms are very suspectible of breaking fast in when running in the cold.
    Greetz, JEREMY.

RCblog.nl - Summit*ERBE*Sl4sh

RC Qualifier
    I bought my new stock Summit probably 3 weeks ago, and I drive it on gravel, river rocks, boulders, parking lots, almost everything I can. I have yet to see a tear in my tire. My Summit will sometimes get stuck on the rocks and only spin the slipper. That is how bad the stuff I am running on is! Maybe the snow just makes your tires cold, which makes them easier to rip or tear.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    I noticed a cut in mine a while back, and its was from the plastic bead locks, I just removed the bead locks, problem solved, it lets the tire roll over the rim more, I don't climb very much but it also may help with climbing a bit as the tire is putting more rubber to the ground I'm theory. I guess if your bead locks are scratched you could take some very fine sand paper and smooth out the scratches, might help from preventing future tears. I have switched my stock tires for trencher x's, but like I said I don't climb very much, mostly bashing in grass and dirt and hit the pavement every once in a while. They are holding up great and have good traction for what I use them for. I'm with other on the climbing thing though, the stock canyons are hard to beat, they do climb well, don't know if I helped any but good luck with whatever you decide. God bless and have some fun.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Canyon AT's are my go-to broken rock tire so long as conditions are bone dry, but with the addition of any moisture or other type of terrain, my #1 choice are my original Trenchers. I like the Trencher X tires too - a friend runs both types - but I'm all about fitting where he won't and rolling over what he can't.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    My buddy runs the og trenchers as well, he is into 1:1 crawlers and wants his summit to be narrow as possible. He lives in Illinois and has told me that he loves them, I on other hand live in Florida and don't crawl very much so the trencher x's were better suited for my style of driving. I would say with the more narrow wheels on the original tech 5 rims, that turning radius is smaller than with the trencher x's as per the offset, I did notice this with mine vs. stock but its not that bad. Good luck with whatever you go with. God bless

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Champion
    i have a set of 40 series trencher x. do trenchers get soft as they get old. i bought them used on ebay real cheap. here is a clip to show softness. i havent really crawled over anything but hard piles of snow. so i wont say they crawl on rocks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1DXAZRNz0w
    Last edited by ajcar; 02-01-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    i have a set of 40 series trencher x. do trenchers get soft as they get old. i bought them used on ebay real cheap. here is a clip to show softness. i havent really crawled over anything but hard piles of snow. so i wont say they crawl on rocks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1DXAZRNz0w
    Trenchers definitely break in with some use. I got mine from a friend and they were slightly used. But they had been used on an ERBE. I think the centrifugal force and the stress that that big brushless motor put on the tires helped to soften them and their foams quite a bit. Maybe that should be a pro tip: Abuse Trenchers with a Revo before using them on a Summit!
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Trenchers definitely break in with some use. I got mine from a friend and they were slightly used. But they had been used on an ERBE. I think the centrifugal force and the stress that that big brushless motor put on the tires helped to soften them and their foams quite a bit. Maybe that should be a pro tip: Abuse Trenchers with a Revo before using them on a Summit!
    very interesting.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.