RC Competitor

good pre-mounts for bashing

So I had been away from the hobby for a while with school but a lull in the workload and melting of some snow led me to dust off the old slash 4x4. It was originally my dads and has always been somewhat neglected, and I have finally decided to give it some well deserved attention.
    Anyway the first thing I noticed when I started it up was the worn stock tires. I can glue tires up for it but I would prefer to save some time and get them pre-mounted. I like the look of these but I am not sure if the tires will hold up over time. I do mostly bashing on grass or loose sandy dirt. What do you all recommend?

Those are..okay
    Problem is stockers don't have much traction

Proline is a good company for tires
    Look at there selection in the short course section
    I think you will like there trenchers or badlands
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Stock tires work well for general bashing and hold up over time. Trenchers are great with the badlands coming right behind them!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Competitor
    thanks for the input. I like the trenchers although the badlands look like they would wear quickly. Anyone run beadlocks? Is velinion on 3s gonna be too much power for them?

RC Qualifier
    My friend has the Badlands, and they don't wear out as you would expect. The only problem is, if you want to run on road at any time, the Badlands are terrible. They wear out their thread like I chew gum. One chew and it's deformed. One run and the tires will be worn down. The Trenchers are a great alternative though, as they are a bit harder, and they can get a fair amount of use for on road as well. What I ended up doing when I bought my Slash is I use the stock tires for On Road ONLY! and I have some badlands on order for off road only. If you are going to be doing mixed driving and don't feel like changing tires, get trenchers. If you can, fix up those wheels and use them as on road only (doesn't sound like you'll be doing on road anyways) and use the badlands for off road ONLY! Or else THEY WILL WEAR OUT QUICKLY! Tire glue is cheap... at least try to fix those tires, it'll be good practice, and heck, if they work, try them out for a while.

RC Competitor
    Ok so it sounds like people like the trenchers and badlands. I see that I can get them pre-mounted or of course I can glue them, but I'd still like an opinion or two on beadlocks. Anyone?

Well bead locks are... Okay
    They might come unscrewed so some put a bit of tire glue on the screws
    Ive never run them before

RC Champion
    I run beadlocks exclusively. Dont need tire glue on the screws. Only thing you need to do is if you are running a high power system is to run a bead of silicone around the bead during assembly and let it cure for 24 hours before running. I dont like to glue tires, its a pain and I dont like having to buy new wheels every time the tires wear out. Yes there are many who try to recover them but no matter which method you use the wheels are degraded or and/or the foams get destroyed. Beadlocks solves that problem, takes about 30 minutes to change out all the tires.

Just a bit of advice on the tires. There is no such critter as a good all around tire. Its preferable to have at least two sets, one for on road and one for off road and one for loose conditions. If the tires have good traction off road they will wear out fast on road. Personally I keep 3 sets on hand an none of the ones mentioned. I run the road rage on road, gladiators off road and a set of calibers in M3 compound when its a track with loose sand on top of hard pack.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-02-2013 at 08:40 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I run beadlocks with badlands on 3s and I was having trouble with the tires coming off the wheels until I did what JustinThyme said with a bead of silicone. I have had no more troubles.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by soltangris View Post
    I run beadlocks with badlands on 3s and I was having trouble with the tires coming off the wheels until I did what JustinThyme said with a bead of silicone. I have had no more troubles.
    Ive never run any tires off the wheels, but then again Ive never run any without the silicone. Its easy to clean off when you change out tires too. Usually just peels right off but worse case scenario silicone cleaner takes care of it, only had to use that once but it was more aesthetics where I put too much on when assembling. It doesnt take much at all. Just a very thin bead, enough to coat the tire bead and rim/beadlock ring. Apply the bead then twist the ring just a little to spread it when you set it on and screw it down. The biggest thing you have to worry about is over torquing the screws and stripping out the thread in the wheels. I go snug and then like 1/8 turn when doing it by hand but Im usually using a power screwdriver with the torque setting on the lowest.

RC Competitor
    Ok I think I'll follow JustinThyme's advice and go with beadlocks and some silicone. I think I'll start with one set of gladiators as I have them on my rustler and I have been pleased overall. I'll use the current ones for on road until summer then look into some real street tires. Thanks to everyone who offered advice and I'll be sure to post some pictures of the setup once I get everything. Oh and a new body will be needed too so lots to look forward to.

What body you gonna paint?
    Proline pro2 Chevy silverado is nice

RC Competitor
    I like the proline ford f-150 flowtek but I'm debating taking the lazy way out and doing one of the traxxas prographix bodies. so many choices other choices too though. Like the volkswagen baja bug. Anyone know what the full fender vs. non-full fender is?

RC Champion
    Just a basher here. Got a set of pre mount trenchers stock size with castle mmpsct. About 20 packs on them and today I noticed the inner bead becomming unglued. I just ordered some tire glue to try and put em back to get full use out of em.

Quote Originally Posted by kpcolb24 View Post
    I like the proline ford f-150 flowtek but I'm debating taking the lazy way out and doing one of the traxxas prographix bodies. so many choices other choices too though. Like the volkswagen baja bug. Anyone know what the full fender vs. non-full fender is?
    If you don't want to paint
    Check out amrc body wraps