Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada

Baldy's Merv - "Slingshot"

I grabbed one of these little guys just before Christmas so my 5yr old son and I could have another waterproof truck to run in the snow. It was a brushed version and they were on sale for 180 bucks so I couldn't pass it up at that price. As a brushed version and running it with the single stock nimh pack, I was less than impressed with its "out of the box" performance. Then I grabbed one of my heli's 1000mah 2s lipos to see what kind of gain I'd get and the truck went from no wheelies and lame launches off the lil vert ramp, to crazy wheelies and backflips off the same ramp. The difference was night and day and the nimh pack does not do this truck justice at all.

I bought the brushed version because I already have a bunch of spare 1/10 & 1/8 brushless systems, so I figured I'd just toss in one of those and take advantage of the sale price for the brushed version. After running this truck in my wide open basement and repeatedly launching and flipping it for a couple weeks, i am continually amazed at how agile and balanced this platform is while in mid air. I'm a 2wd Stampede super-fan, so I'm no stranger when it comes to keeping a truck under control and on its wheels, but this lil Revo platform makes it so easy to maintain control of the truck while on the ground and in the air, that it kinda feels like cheating. Lol

I wasn't sure which brushless system I wanted to put in this truck because of its limited battery accommodations, but I did want to maintain the waterproofing so it could run in the snow. I had a Castle/Duratrax Element esc (rebadged Sidewinder) and a Vxl 3500 motor combo that worked well in one of my pedes, so I decided I would run this combo and see what I could do about waterproofing the Element esc. I took the plastic case off of the esc, cleaned the inside of the case and the circuit board with alcohol. At first I was thinking about potting the circuit board in clear epoxy like the VXL esc's, but this has drawbacks because the epoxy shrinks over time and can crack or shift slightly and actually tear the electronics from the board. I decided I would use "Seal-All" adhesive, which seems to be half way between epoxy and silicone. I coated the bottom of the board and also the internal bottom of the esc case and reinstalled the board. Then I coated the top of the circuit board all the way around and right up to the edges of the heat-sink. I installed the top of the case, then used the sealant to fill all the open holes where the wires exit the case, as well as the open space where the capacitors sit. Because this sealant needs air to dry, I heated up a pin and carefully put a few holes in the bottom of the esc case to allow the gases to escape and also allow for any expansion of the sealant that might take place (it did expand). I sat the esc on the furnace vent in the bathroom for the night and left the ventilation fan on. In the morning I picked up the esc and saw that the sealant had expanded quite a bit and had pushed out all the holes in the case, so I used a hobby knife to trim away all the excess. The sealant still had some odor to it, so I knew it wasn't fully cured yet and allowed it to dry for another 48 hours to be safe.

In the meantime, I installed a 22t pinion on the vxl motor, bought a new Spektrum sr300 receiver and bound it to my Dx3s transmitter and also picked up a parallel harness and another matching nimh pack to use until I can locate some good matching lipos. I had my doubts about whether or not the esc would be waterproof, (or if it would even power up) but there was only one way to know for sure. I installed the esc, receiver, motor, batteries, harness and plugged it in.... Good to go! A quick tx/esc calibration and the truck runs like a champ. It has been out in the snow a dozen times now with the esc completely packed with snow and doused with water without any issues. Since the sealant dries clear, I can even see the status LEDs on the esc and can also still hear the tunes and beeps from the esc, though they are not as loud as before. Even with the dual nimh packs and the 22t pinion this truck takes off in a big hurry, which is why I named it "Slingshot". With a set of four paddle tires installed, this thing hauls across the snow in an impressive way. A good input of the throttle will have the truck pulling wheelies across the snow and too much throttle causes the truck to forget it even has a wheelie bar installed and put it on its roof, even on the icy street. So far the esc has shown no added heat issues from being potted in sealant and performs just as well as it always has, except now it can do it in dry or wet conditions.

Not the prettiest looking esc, but no big deal because it will likely be replaced with an et-3s esc when the ground dries up. Or maybe I will try my hand at waterproofing one of my et-3s's.

Although the Merv has a nice look to it with the stock body, wing and small wheels/tires, the Talons are absolutely useless in the snow and the stock body looks too small with the 2.2" paddles trimmed to fit 2.8" wheels, so I picked up another body for it. The Exotek Hummer body is a nice little body with a small price tag of 16 bucks and since I was in the process of prepping a new body for my HR
    P2de XL, I figured I'd do the lil hummer at the same time using the same paint. What I hadn't realized when I bought the hummer, is that even with the wing removed, it won't work with the wing mount installed and it also won't work with the Traxxas wheelie bar either. I remedied this by not using the wing/wheelie bar mount at all and mounted the wheelie bar directly to the shock tower using a couple brass spacers I had on hand. Then I cut a rectangular shaped hole in the rear of the body to allow the upper brace for the wheelie bar through, then a couple slots on the rear bumper of the body for clearance for the lower wheelie bar brace. Worked out well and still allows the use of all height settings. Only difference is that the wheelie bar doesn't sit as low to the ground.

I used the same Spaz Stix mirror chrome paint that I used on my HR P2de and it turned out really good on this hummer body too. Tossed on a flames mask for the hood and blacked them out with the windows when backing the chrome with black backer.

Hangin with the big boys

Here's a vid of the Slingshot running in the snow with my P4de, you can see this lil unit pullin a couple wheelies on the snow with my son driving. He still gets stuck a bit with this truck because he's not used to me telling him to mash the throttle and don't stop or slow down, cuz on dry ground with his emaxx I'm always telling him to slow down and be more careful. Lol

http://youtu.be/rSqUX5PeyF0

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Qualifier
    Nice video baldy, always good to see some good family time!!
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice build! Have enough torque with that 3500!

RC Racer
    I don't ready everything, but that a good build for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    Nice video baldy, always good to see some good family time!!
    That's what it's all about! Now that my son bashes with me so often, it feels like something is missing when I go out by myself. Makes for some very good times, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Nice build! Have enough torque with that 3500!
    Massive amounts of torque with the 3500, but if the truck could hold some bigger batteries I'd be inclined to drop an et-3s/et-2400 funny car combo in this truck. I am gonna give it a try for the heck of it as soon as the ground is dry.

Baldy I really like your body
    The flames look awesome

Nothing like matching body's...

Did the vxl just drop in?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    I think you need a 540 sized mount for the VXL to drop in. Gearing is different too I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Baldy I really like your body
    The flames look awesome

Nothing like matching body's...

Did the vxl just drop in?
    Thanks bud. Yeah, I really like the mirror chrome paint, I just wish it was more durable because I run my trucks pretty hard, so the lids take a beating and the paint comes off in places. But I figure that if I run it hard enough to knock all the paint off, I can try a different color! Lol

Yes, the vxl dropped right in.

Quote Originally Posted by funnya1b2c3 View Post
    I think you need a 540 sized mount for the VXL to drop in. Gearing is different too I would think.
    This was a brushed merv to start with, so it had a Titan 12t 550 in it, which can be swapped out for a 540 sized motor without changing the mount or the gearing. Since I am running dual nimh packs until I can find some decent lipos, the stock 26 tooth pinion was too much for the nimh packs and caused some excess cogging, so I went with a 22 tooth pinion to make it smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    Thanks bud. Yeah, I really like the mirror chrome paint, I just wish it was more durable because I run my trucks pretty hard, so the lids take a beating and the paint comes off in places. But I figure that if I run it hard enough to knock all the paint off, I can try a different color! Lol
    I did that with my slash body
    Over half of it was chipped 6 months later
    I put white on
    Looks kinda camo
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL