RC poster

To build a better Bandit

My 6yr old sons got a Rustler and a Stampede XL5 for Christmas. Now Daddy (me) is starting to want one too. I use to own a Nitro Savage so I have a bit of experience in the hobby. However, I don't have much in the way of electric or this particular brand. I got the Pede and the Rusty because of the ease of getting parts and the overall reliability of the Traxxas brand. I figured my boys would be hard on them and I would be at the bench a lot. Believe it or not, I have not been there as much as I would like and find myself wanting to build my own.

So I would like to absorb some of your expertise on this matter so I can gain some experience for the future upgrade of my sons trucks to the brushless/LIPO age.

Growing up, there were more buggy's than anything, so that is where I will start.

Looking at getting a VXL roller, just because it seems like a good platform to start with rather than gathering every individual part.

From there????

A good motor, esc combo. Nothing too elaborate. Looking for more bashing with occasional sped burst.

Wheels and tires, mostly front yard type of stuff, street and light grass.

Shocks and mounts, if I even need these.

Tr,Rx this seems pretty easy.

Battery. Now this stuff is nuts. I halfway understand it, but the price difference in some of the brands is very misleading. So something in the bashing with occasional speed burst within a decent budget range would be ideal. Oh and reliable. Also gonna need a charger, the two I have don't do LIPO.

And anything else you can throw in there such as parts to change/upgrade would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

RC Champion
    As far as the charger goes, the Traxxas E-Z Peak Plus is a good one for the price. Two port charging is sweet, plus it has a built-in power supply. I'm pretty sure it's identical to the Hitec X1 AC Plus. In my experience, they make awesome chargers.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBLNM&P=ML
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    It all depends how much you are willing to spend, there are good cheap Chinese brushless systems out there. I use one and I am pretty darn happy with it. Leopard or EZrun systems are good budget systems, lost of people run'em.

But you could spend a little bit more on a Castle SV3 system and you have Castle support! Its your call.

As for wheels and tires lots of people will suggest that you fit truck wheels and tyres on, if I were you I'd stick with the buggy wheels and get buggy tyres! It's a much nicer look

If you aren't racing I guess you can simply start with Anacondas and see what you think. OK, out in the backyard they will not be as good as off road tyres but they won't wear fast on the street and you are likely to get a whole lot of runtime on'em. I actually get half decent grip on dry grass with these: http://www.fastrax-rc.com/rc-product...004297&cat=WTA No grip at all on dirty though, so it depends what your backyard is like

But that's my fave bashing tyre, last an eternity compared to anything off road specific. And they are close to slicks!

Shock wise I'd stick with stock but get the aluminum caps. And if you are bashing and never racing I'd get RPM shock towers, you you plan to race sometime I'd opt for Anza shock towers instead. You might want to look into getting a range of Losi springs to tune your handling if you aren't happy with it too.

Lastly I'd junk that stock wing mount pronto! It is very weak and annoying, plus it won't work with RPM or Anza towers. Use a wing mount from another buggy and drill your shock tower. This is what I did with mine:

Battery wise, GensAce lipos are incredibly cheap for what they are, quality, hard cased, race lipos. I'd get those

RC poster
    I agree Gens Ace lipos are great. The Gens Ace iMars charger is a good one http://www.hobbypartz.com/geacech.html
    at a great price. As for tires, the Pro Line Speed Paw has been great on my Rustler but they are only meant for grass, as
    anywhere else they wear down quickly

RC poster
    I agree Gens Ace lipos are great. The Gens Ace iMars charger is a good one http://www.hobbypartz.com/geacech.html
    at a great price. As for tires, the Pro Line Speed Paw has been great on my Rustler but they are only meant for grass, as
    anywhere else they wear down quickly

RC poster
    Forgot to mention the iMars charger usually does not come with an AC converter, must be bought seperately

RC Champion
    Sounds like you just need to start with the stock bandit vxl. The velineon system is great, especially for something the size of a bandit. The stock tires will work great for where you say you'll be running. The new ones come with a good 2S lipo and a basic slow charger. It'd be a good way to get hands-on into the basics of LiPo batteries. You can then get a good charger and more lipos later.

The only thing I'd say to upgrade immediately is the front caster blocks and the shock caps, both to either traxxas or STRC aluminum. Then just upgrade as you break stuff.

Two good brands of lipo for the price are gens ace and sky lipo. Google the both and you'll find them easily. You'll just have to swap the connectors on the batteries with female traxxas connectors.

RC poster
    I thought about just buying an RTR Bandit VXL. But, what's the fun in that? I want it to be mine, unique to me. But, I did almost go that way.

Money is somewhat an option because I will eventually be doing 2 more of these, eventually being within the year.
    The Castle SV3 is a complete system?

I am looking into the JConcepts Illusion body and wing.

As far as the Transmitter and Receiver go, I already have two cars running. Is there only 2 more signals for the Traxxas Tr/Rx?
    in other words, when Santa brought the 2Pede and the Rusty, he brought a black one and a blue one. There only seems to be two more options. Is this the case even if I go with the 2.4 GHz system?

Lastly, there will absolutely be no racing, only bashing.

Thanks so far...... keep the ideas coming please.
    Last edited by redfishes; 01-31-2013 at 07:30 PM.

RC poster
    2.4 links to the car so no worry about channels

RC Qualifier
    Jws1982, but he already has an XL5.

RC poster
    Are Rustler parts interchangeable with Bandit? More specifically, the suspension arms and shock towers?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by redfishes View Post
    Are Rustler parts interchangeable with Bandit? More specifically, the suspension arms and shock towers?
    For the most part, yes.

The shock towers are. I think the front arms are too. The rear arms are not the same length.

RC Champion
    I ended up getting rustler rear arms since the rear tires sit in too much for my liking.

Stock rear arms above.

Also got the updated body for her and some X0-1 wheels/tires.

Last edited by Zepher; 02-01-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,