My 6yr old sons got a Rustler and a Stampede XL5 for Christmas. Now Daddy (me) is starting to want one too. I use to own a Nitro Savage so I have a bit of experience in the hobby. However, I don't have much in the way of electric or this particular brand. I got the Pede and the Rusty because of the ease of getting parts and the overall reliability of the Traxxas brand. I figured my boys would be hard on them and I would be at the bench a lot. Believe it or not, I have not been there as much as I would like and find myself wanting to build my own.

So I would like to absorb some of your expertise on this matter so I can gain some experience for the future upgrade of my sons trucks to the brushless/LIPO age.

Growing up, there were more buggy's than anything, so that is where I will start.

Looking at getting a VXL roller, just because it seems like a good platform to start with rather than gathering every individual part.

From there????

A good motor, esc combo. Nothing too elaborate. Looking for more bashing with occasional sped burst.

Wheels and tires, mostly front yard type of stuff, street and light grass.

Shocks and mounts, if I even need these.

Tr,Rx this seems pretty easy.

Battery. Now this stuff is nuts. I halfway understand it, but the price difference in some of the brands is very misleading. So something in the bashing with occasional speed burst within a decent budget range would be ideal. Oh and reliable. Also gonna need a charger, the two I have don't do LIPO.

And anything else you can throw in there such as parts to change/upgrade would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.