Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Rc4wd X-Lock Lightning Bolt Tires

Has any one tried these and if so how do you like them. Also what rims are you running on a 4.0 tire?

Thanks Doug
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

RC Champion
    I think all 4.0 tires are proline narrow 40 series size, axial also makes a narrow 40 series beadlocks
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

I'm running proline Cheyenne bead locks with the rock crushers.Their cyclone bead locks look like the best I've seen so far
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    I just want to know if they will hold together at 25 or 30 Mph. If they are ok at that speed I will try them out.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    I just want to know if they will hold together at 25 or 30 Mph. If they are ok at that speed I will try them out.
    The tires or the beadlocks? tire i would think they should be fine there pretty beefy.The cyclones not sure but they would be better than plastic i would guess.There on my list after new esc
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    It says on rc4wds site that they are, ultra soft compound. I see a lot of people have the Roc locks, mudslingers etc. but was curious if anyone has tries this tire? As far as rims I am leaning towards their Cyclones but am having a hard time justifying the price.

Doug
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann
    The tires or the beadlocks? tire i would think they should be fine there pretty beefy.The cyclones not sure but they would be better than plastic i would guess.There on my list after new esc
    I am wondering about the tires at speed, being that they are ultra soft. I am sure the beadlocks would be fine.

RC Competitor
    I am wondering about the tires at speed, being that they are ultra soft. I am sure the beadlocks would be fine.
    I would be getting these primarily for crawling and climbing and wouldn't be doing any speed trials with them.

Doug
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

Quote Originally Posted by Sinco
    It says on rc4wds site that they are, ultra soft compound. I see a lot of people have the Roc locks, mudslingers etc. but was curious if anyone has tries this tire? As far as rims I am leaning towards their Cyclones but am having a hard time justifying the price.

Doug
    I've been back and forth on this.With the bigger tires i was having a hard time keeping the beads seated. so i ended up using dabs of glue.Which is a pain cause i can't get them off easily to dry the foams out.So i'm really looking at the all aluminium rims less likly to strip a bolt.Not impossible but much less likely
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Jamann I'm leaning towards the X-locks because they are a little taller than the stock Summit tire but a little shorter than the rock crushers so I think it will be a good balance....just need to pull the trigger on the Cyclones.

Doug
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

RC Racer
    The cyclones are really nice. The price makes them not worth it though and shipping up here for them was outrageous. A full set of Axials will run the price of one rim and they all look the same after crawling/bashing/fun.

I run the Mudslingers because they are actually the "smallest" of the 40 series tires. I did not want to go too tall so I stayed away from the crushers, x-lok's etc.

The slingers have been great at speed too as I run 18/65 gearing on my 14.4V Dewalt and they stay pretty true. Wheel nuts are always working loose though.

FYI, if it's a crawling tire you want, the stock tires are actually one of the best. But they STINK at anything over a crawl.
    2.4Ghz Dewalt E-Remmit

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hugh jorgan
    The cyclones are really nice. The price makes them not worth it though and shipping up here for them was outrageous. A full set of Axials will run the price of one rim and they all look the same after crawling/bashing/fun.

I run the Mudslingers because they are actually the "smallest" of the 40 series tires. I did not want to go too tall so I stayed away from the crushers, x-lok's etc.

The slingers have been great at speed too as I run 18/65 gearing on my 14.4V Dewalt and they stay pretty true. Wheel nuts are always working loose though.

FYI, if it's a crawling tire you want, the stock tires are actually one of the best. But they STINK at anything over a crawl.

According to the traxxas web site the stock tire is 7.1 inches tall, the x-lock is 7.25 inches tall and the mudslinger is 7.56 inches tall.

Doug
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

According to the traxxas web site the stock tire is 7.1 inches tall, the x-lock is 7.25 inches tall and the mudslinger is 7.56 inches tall.

Doug
    Sounds like a good choice.With the crushers i lose a bit of climbing ability on really steep stuff,but i gain on everything else the clearance makes a big difference on not getting hung up on as much stuff plus i can get up a bit higher than the hood vertical ledges with the right driving.I don't do much high speed stuff Don't get me wrong the axials are nice and work well from all the reveiws on here.Not to many guy's are running the cheyennes from what i've seen but they also do the job.I Am interested in the strength and weight of the cyclones though
    Last edited by jamann; 06-04-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    I just price checked 2 sets of cheyanne beadlocks and 2 sets of proline 23 mm adapters. before shipping cost was $105.

$149 for alum cyclone beadlocks that do not need adapters, does not seem that far out when it would cost $105 for high quality plastic that need adapters.

IMO

I just price checked 2 sets of cheyanne beadlocks and 2 sets of proline 23 mm adapters. before shipping cost was $105.

$149 for alum cyclone beadlocks that do not need adapters, does not seem that far out when it would cost $105 for high quality plastic that need adapters.

IMO
    I just need to win that 30 million on the lotto
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    I just want to have an extra set of tires and wheels for crawling. My thinking in getting the cyclones is that they will be heavier than the axial bead locks which will help in climbing. Just trying to pick a tire. I want one a littler bigger than stock for clearance issues as Jamann said. The rok loks look good too. Just want to make the right choice before I pull the trigger.

Doug
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

I just want to have an extra set of tires and wheels for crawling. My thinking in getting the cyclones is that they will be heavier than the axial bead locks which will help in climbing. Just trying to pick a tire. I want one a littler bigger than stock for clearance issues as Jamann said. The rok loks look good too. Just want to make the right choice before I pull the trigger.

Doug
    It took me a couple of months to decide on tires
    all their tires seem to be good quality.You can add weight to the axials etc.In the grove of the rim inside.Here's a link check out this series of vids.everything you ever wanted to know and then some
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer

Doug
    Why didn't I see that when I ordered my slingers! Nuts.. Would have gone with the x-loks for sure. Slingers are great at speed in a straight line or climbing loose stuff or even crawling sharp rocks, but I still want something more all round. The x-loks look great.

IMO, the cyclones are great, $150 for a set of rims. Ow. If you have $ to burn, great. They do look awesome, weight is good too. I took some lead 'pencil' type weight, which is used by fishermen and comes in a continous roll (about 3/16" dia.), wrapped it on the inside of the rim, and coated the lead rings with epoxy. Works half decently and am still under $50 for the whole rim set. What happens if you damage a rim? Another $150?

Post some pics if you get the cyclone set, I am sure we'd all love to see the final set-up.

My wife is going to chop my B@LLS off if she finds me spending any more money on this hobby, so I sure can't buy them. You're going to have to so people like me can live through you.
    2.4Ghz Dewalt E-Remmit

RC Enthusiast
    I checked tower and it's 93 dollars so 12 bucks cheaper and further away from the cyclones.

RC Enthusiast

IMO

I checked tower and it's 93 dollars so 12 bucks cheaper and further away from the cyclones.

Here is my Mudslinger and rockster combo which is definitely taller than the stock tires.

RC Racer
    I'm going to hear about this one, but here goes...

IMO the Cheyanne's are uuuugleeee! What's happenin' p*mp my ride!

Truck looks good nitrochulo!
    2.4Ghz Dewalt E-Remmit

Ouch you hurt my very last feeling I'm for sure not a bling bling guy.This look too blingy.Notice no more yellow/gold rings
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier

Doug
    If you want better traction go down to the tire shop abd get some stick on weights. Then stick them on the in the back side of the wheel around the dish. Cheap like borsh and better traction. And you cab usely get the weights for free. A heck of alot cheeper then cyclones.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Racer
    Ouch you hurt my very last feeling I'm for sure not a bling bling guy.This look too blingy.Notice no more yellow/gold rings

Those rims look great without the homeboy hoops on the outside. The all silver rims match the lights, sharp looking summit!

Simple looks better for sure.
    Last edited by hugh jorgan; 06-05-2010 at 09:47 PM.
    2.4Ghz Dewalt E-Remmit

RC Enthusiast

Thanks hugh

Those rims look great without the homeboy hoops on the outside. The all silver rims match the lights, sharp looking summit!

Simple looks better for sure.
    I very much disliked the rings,Of course they don't make any other rings,Duh.Does weld racing not want there stuff to look good.I thought about painting them,But the way i drive that would last 5 minutes.And thanks for the compliment,I just stopped crying I just couldn't stand the color anymore,So sand paper and an hour I feel better
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    It took me a couple of months to decide on tires
    all their tires seem to be good quality.You can add weight to the axials etc.In the grove of the rim inside.Here's a link check out this series of vids.everything you ever wanted to know and then some

Jamann you forgot to post the link. I would really like to see it.

Doug
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

Jamann you forgot to post the link. I would really like to see it.

Doug
    I'll pm you the info.I forgot no non traxxas links.
    To the mods sorry i forgot about that
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Pulled the trigger and ordered the Cyclones and X-locks

Doug
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

RC Racer

Doug

Niiiiiiiiiiccccccceeeeee....

If I had your money I'd burn mine!
    2.4Ghz Dewalt E-Remmit

Doug
    Can't wait for the reveiw.I'm gonna do it as well at some point
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    make sure to keep us informed, I plan to get the same sooner or later

RC Competitor
    I will post pictures when I get them

Doug
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

RC Competitor
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-21-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

RC Qualifier
    those look great, definitely interested in seeing how the beads hold up.

RC poster
    those do look good. i wanna see them mounted up on the rig.

RC Qualifier
    any pics of them mounted up?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by padrino
    any pics of them mounted up?

Workin on it. There are like 30 screws for each wheel I will try and get them up soon. They don't look any taller than stock.

Doug
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

RC Competitor
    Sorry for the delay guys here they are.

Last edited by Sinco; 06-30-2010 at 10:41 PM.
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

RC Qualifier
    looking sweet!!