RC Qualifier

Tire question. Canyons or mashers?

I have both canyons and mashers and was curious what everybody thinks is the better all around tire? I do a little bit of everything with my maxx. On road, grass, off road, a little crawling, just like to smash around with this thing. Also has anybody had any success taking the crome off the stock wheels? I'd like to get them back to plastic and then dye them black.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Oven cleaner will probably work
    I have the mashers in 3.2 on my t maxxes and the mini canyons on my merv both are my old favorites!

RC Champion
    I've had the Mashers. They are good tires, a little soft but good.

Oven cleaner should do the trick in de-chroming those wheels.

RC Qualifier
    I've been using the canyons ever since I went brushless, they seem really soft. They have decent on road traction, but It seems like the softness kinda limits speed. Ill give the mashers a try. I just replaced my bulkheads, shocktowers, shocks, driveshafts, toelinks, a-arms and knuckles with upgraded parts. Turned out really nice. Hopefully switching the tires wil get me dialed in.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think mashers would be good. I would take the canyons off the rims and put some road tires and get some offset desperados and badlands for the dirt!

RC Champion
    Gorilla tape the inside of the Mashers before you mount them so you reduce the ballooning effect.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by M n M View Post
    Gorilla tape the inside of the Mashers before you mount them so you reduce the ballooning effect.
    Definitely! I only run 4s with stock gearing at the moment, so ballooning isn't so bad. But I have my eye on some spc 3s batts.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would start off running 5s before the 6s!

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Mashers for the win! If you do use the oven cleaner, heed their warnings, and wear rubber gloves and keep your eyes on things. Nasty stuff. I've used it to take the annodized color off of aluminum parts. If you let it soak too long, it starts to pit the aluminum. Guess what it will do to your skin.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    How does that work? I think I've read something about having to run 3s on one side and 2s on the other.
    And as far as the chemicals go, no big deal I paint cars so I have a respirator and gloves. Ill take the rims to work to strip them.
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    How does that work? I think I've read something about having to run 3s on one side and 2s on the other.
    And as far as the chemicals go, no big deal I paint cars so I have a respirator and gloves. Ill take the rims to work to strip them.
    If memory serves, you'll want to plug the 2s battery into the BEC side. The BEC side draws more power then the non BEC side. So, the LVD will kick in when the 2s battery is low and prevent the other battery from being draw down to a damaging level. If you wire it the other way, by the time the LVD kicks in on the 3s the 2s battery will have been overly discharged.

The other thing you'll need to make of is that the 2s and 3s are the same MAH rating.

If you plug a 3s into the bec side.
    Smoke will follow right after the button gets pushed.the new version of the evx2 with lvd won't allow you to run 5s goes into over voltage protection mode

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I have xerun 150a esc in it. So no evx2. I'm pretty sure its capable of 6s. Do I still need to worry about what side each battery is plugged into?
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    I have xerun 150a esc in it. So no evx2. I'm pretty sure its capable of 6s. Do I still need to worry about what side each battery is plugged into?
    Hmm I'm not sure on that. I think that some of the exrun ESC's can have the LVD set to different levels. So I'm guessing that you'd want the LVD to kick in at a safe level for the 2s. Again, I'm guessing here based off my experience. Hopefully some one with more knowledge will chime in.

RC Qualifier
    Big joes on axial 40s bead locks
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    spc recommends low voltage set at 3.5v to be safe

RC Qualifier
    I'm pretty sure I keep lvc at 3.5 or 3.4 on all my adjustable esc's. But what you guys are sayin is, I can use a 3s and a 2s battery, for 5s as long as they are the same mah? Is that correct?

Edit: just re-reading m n m's post. Are you talking about setting lvc individually for each battery?
    Last edited by the finisher; 01-31-2013 at 10:43 PM.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's right 5s is a good kick over 4s without the hard punch of 6s
    And yes should be the same mah and age if you can

My mistake ...no that is not a issue
    You are running a series connecter
    To make 5s? and the esc has a single input it sees it as 5s so doesn't matter what side it's on.

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 01-31-2013 at 11:25 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Ok cool, I'll probably make a order with spc in the next week or two. I ll see if I can get a 5s combo figured out. I'm perfectly happy with 4s but I want a little more speed. That's another reason I was curious about the mashers.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When I bought my spc batteries I bought their 5400 50c 2s and 3s for that purpose!

RC Qualifier
    Speaking of spc, how about they're shipping. I ordered some batts for my merv on wednesday morning, now its friday morning, and usps says they're out for delivery!! Yet another reason that company rocks!
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yep. They stay on top of that!