RC poster

Thumbs up "brushless newbie" E-revo Build Advice

hello Traxxas Forum

Pardon the long post but considering this is my first post for this truck and that its a new build - i figure details might help

not new to Radio control but new to battery power - had a 3.3 revo few years back and lost my location to run it so it was passed on to my god-child, when i owned that truck i had a excellent hobby shop and an excellent "mechanic" (Riders Hobby - Canton Mi .... and Al if your out there - thanks for passing on some of the knowledge)

So i am now "attempting" to build a brushless revo based on some of the things i was taught (by al and by paying attn to this forum) but i could use some advice (please and thank you)

i am doing this build in pieces with the hope to have it ready for spring -

I have a "roller chassis" and i have gone with the Castle Creation's Mamba Monster Brushless System - i also have gone with the "Summit" axles change (traxxas #5607/5656) (suspension -- a spring change, Rocker arms 2 (90mm) and push rod progressive #3 -- traxxas #5318 and #5133) and the TVR chassis bracing with RPM arms and the auto camber rears

that is currently what i have completed -

now i have been doing some "on-line window" shopping for radios and considering i have never used a radio besides "RTR" radios ....i am asking for some guidance in this area ... i really dont have a price point for this but i am of the thought that "money can be better spent" -- I figure $200.00 to $250

I am also requesting help in the servo department considering this is the first time i have ever had the need to buy such things- now from things i have read ..... some say one decent servo ...others have said 2 decent servos due to the fact that is the way the truck was designed - advice on brand, type strength and single vs duel would be appreciated

(for the record and future reference its going to be a 50/50 split drive time between concrete (now have a 1/4 mile driveway ... and in the process of designing a grass track with low impact jumps (nothing above 30in) for the 2 acre side lot and i am planning on running 2 2S battery packs for at least the "season")

i mention the above "drive type" statement cause i am always open to advice for things i might not be thinking about or considering

please know that your advice on the radio and servos and anything else you might want to throw my way is greatly appreciated and respected -and thank you for sticking with me thru this extended post
    Last edited by Whiplash911turbo; 01-30-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Off to a good start!
    For a good affordable radio I run the futaba t3pl great radio for the price!
    For the servo I run the hitec 7950th. 403oz at 6 volts and 486 at 7.4 or you can go savox but will probably need an external bec
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-30-2013 at 11:14 PM.

check a couple of the build threads that are running right now.......
    Radio might look at Traxxas TQI. if you have an iPhone..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-TQi-...item20ce8e5b5d

http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...erevobrushless

go to downloads^ shows all the how to's...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    For the servo I would do a single high voltage titanium gear hi-tec. It is more power than can be used, so it won't be stressed and it will last forever. It does need a bec to run at 7.4 volts though, only 20$ if you can solder. For the radio I would do the Tqi or a spektrum. I use the Tqi and I'm not sure if I would do it again, but it is worth what I paid for it. Wheels and tires I would recommend badlands on 1/2 offset desperados, a lot of guys are running these, and I am going to get another set to replace my 1 year old set soon. Anything else should be in 50togo, craig.mitch316, myself, 87 GN and clp71220's threads. You may consider the losi diffs down the road if that is a problem for you, but with 4s you should be fine.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

RC Qualifier
    For a radio, what about a flysky GT3B or IT4?

RC poster
    thank you gentlemen for the quick reply's -

to 87gn - i am running a windows 8 phone and have been hoping that the traxxas app will available for such platform ( thinking if that happens in the next 30 days it would affect my decision) on a personal note GN .... nice car ... for a short time i had a GNX its production number was 44

money pit - i have been following "the sillyness" of 87gn 50togo and yourself ...i will continue to follow and will add the others to my watch list - regarding rims and tires i am heading in the direction of dish wheels (2 sets) one for on road being the 40'series prolines and i have yet to decide on my off road tire choice and will take those under advisement - i am of the understanding that the right kind of tires make all the difference in the world on this truck - that being said im not interested in the "wheelie" aspect of this truck but more of getting the power to the ground for a clean hook

50togo .... thanks for the kind words about being off to a good start..... see i do pay attn ... all of those that post in detail ... (moneypit and 87gn included) it is appreciated and people do pay attn

i shall be sitting on the computer watching the snow fall and looking at both the servo's and radio suggestions .... thank you gentlemen

for a short time i had a GNX its production number was 44

DO'Hoooo.....
    There was a GNX in Texas, dealer with 9.9 miles, never sold or titled....

that being said im not interested in the "wheelie" aspect of this truck but more of getting the power to the ground for a clean hook

ballooning tires makes the truck want to wheelie easier....
    what ever tire you get tape'm..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??