RC poster

I just burned up my motor.... now what?

I have had my Summit for a month now (it was a Christmas present to myself), and my son and I have been taking it out everyday for as long as it takes for the battery to drain, usually about 35 min. So I bought a pair of 2s 7600mah Lipos and charged them up and we went out for the first run. We were bashing around like normal, and then after about 40 min we found some loose dry dirt and were doing some pretty cool drifting with lots of dust, and next thing i know the dust starts to looks like a little smoke and then a lot of smoke... and long story short the motor is toast. First of all I am really surprised by how quickly it burnt up.. we weren't doing anything unusual for us, and had only gone about 5 maybe 10 minutes longer than normal. Not sure what happened there but it happens and i was itching to witch things up anyway.

Now i need to figure out what to replace it with. I know a lot of people like the Dewalt 14v, and that could be a good replacement. I was also thinking of going with a Tekin T8 2200v and switching out the ESC to a MMP ESC. I like the stock Summit a lot but was starting to wish I had a bit more speed and torque, but I would really like to still have control in low gear for climbing. I mostly go when its dry, but I have some snow chains and like taking it into the snow as well, so I would like it to be as waterproof as possible.

The other thing is, is there a temperature cutoff or alarm I can use so I don't melt another engine?

Any help or ideas would be great. I also have a pair of 4s Lipos that I can use for this as well.

RC Champion
    When was the last time u cleaned engine? I had about 5 runs mine when I cleaned it and it was pretty black coming out and all of my running was in snow.

RC poster
    That could be... I cleaned it out after the last snow run.... but that was about 2 weeks ago. Could have been the reason... how often should I be cleaning it out... I have a Dusty Motors cover over it too.

RC Champion
    If I'm in dusty conditions ill give it a quick spray and lube after every run. Only takes 5 min

RC Qualifier
    I've had mine since 2010, burned up 4 motors and 1 esc. Enough is enough for me. I went with an hpi brushless system and havent looked back.
    I would recommend swapping out if you want the extra power and reliability, worth it in the long run..

RC Champion
    That's why the motors only cost $35. They are throw aways not mention to last. If they were at least rebuildable you would get some life out of them. That's why I always keep a spare.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    I've had mine since 2010, burned up 4 motors and 1 esc. Enough is enough for me. I went with an hpi brushless system and havent looked back.
    I would recommend swapping out if you want the extra power and reliability, worth it in the long run..
    That sounds intriguing which one did you use the 2200v? Is it sensored? Also what ESC and batteries? How does it do crawling?

RC poster
    Yeah that's a good point about spare motors... I think I will pick up an extra so I will be prepared for next time... But I want to try something new this time with more power.

RC Champion
    I have a Tekin RX8 ESC and a 2250kv T8 motor. It's a sensored BL Setup that's great for crawling. The only drawback is that it's not waterproof, so I bought an Outerwears Shroud. Works great and it was the best $40 I ever spent. I think for a Tekin Setup it would run somewhere between $300- 350, but I think it's money well spent. And with brushless power you need to learn throttle control when the diffs are locked, otherwise you will destroy them.
    Last edited by summitbasher240; 01-30-2013 at 11:29 PM.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

RC poster
    I was leaning towards the Tekin T8... although the HPI sounds tempting too. I have a Dusty Motors cover... so that should do the trick for the water, although I wonder if a waterproof ESC like the MMP might be better? Can I use 4s Lipos with the Tekin setup? Not that price isn't an issue, but I am willing to invest in a proper setup with a speed/reliability boost. I want to go faster,but I really don't want to be switching motors every month...

RC Enthusiast
    What specific HPI motor/esc are we talking about here?

There's also the budget friendly option of a $140 esc/motor combo that can be found.

And for waterproof, there's a new MMP that's waterproof (IIRC); not sensored though.

I thought it was the MMM that is now waterproof.It was not sensored.The MMP was sensored so I imagine it will still be.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    I am a little unsure... so the MMM is definitely waterproof, but not sensored? and the MMP is sensored but not waterproof? Is that right? Also do either of those have a built in LVC?

Quote Originally Posted by ironteeth View Post
    I am a little unsure... so the MMM is definitely waterproof, but not sensored? and the MMP is sensored but not waterproof? Is that right? Also do either of those have a built in LVC?
    The previous Mamba Monster Max
    Was not waterproof it was(splash resistant) and not sensored.
    The Mamba Max Pro was also splash resistant but was sensored.
    I ran a MMP it didn't last, I think myself the summit is just to big and heavy for it
    If you plan on bashing at all.
    If the mmm is sensored and waterproof
    They will sell many many of them.
    Both had built in lvc but needs to be set higher its set too low for my liking 3.2v a cell is too low for the health of your batts.
    If you do go castle get the castle link as well let's you adjust all the settings.

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 01-31-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I run the MMP with Tekin 2250 and LOVE it. I bashed for a good 45 min and the temp was about 95 degrees running 4S. I cannot recommend going sensored brushless enough if you can afford it. Crawls better than the Dewalt 14v (I know because I just took this out) and you get a LOT more speed.

RC poster
    Have you had any issues with the MMP and water? Do you take it in the rain or snow? That is the exact setup I was thinking of. I have a set of 4s Lipos all ready to go too. Its too bad the CC blower fan doesn't fit the Tekin motor, or at least doesn't appear so from the listed specs. Can anyone recommend a good fan for the motor, does this help much?

RC Champion
    Another piece of advice I'm going to give is make sure to do your own research on whatever product you decide to buy. I know people are being nice and giving advice, but anyone could be wrong, including myself. I have had hobby shops give me wrong info, and that was an expensive mistake. Especially when it comes to abbreviations.
    Last edited by summitbasher240; 01-31-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

RC Racer
    What about that castle Sidewinder 3 waterproof sport ESC for 1/10 trucks? It's much less than the Mamba Monster, and not able to take the big voltage batteries, but for an economical brushless system it looks interesting. But, can it live in the heavy Summit?

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...dewinder3.html

Sent from a Galaxy S3, far....far away.

RC poster
    Yeah, that is very true... I will try to do my own research too. But its nice to open it up to others who may have some experience so I can have an idea where to proceed.... Already I have some good ideas.... though I think at this point I am going to try the MMP with a Tekin T8 unless someone has something they think is better? It sounds like a good fit for me.... a fan over the motor this time might be a good idea too... So with the MMP and T8 does it do wheelies from a dead start?

RC poster
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Sidewinder is not sensored... which I believe would limit its crawling ability

The MMM is more robust than the MMP, but I used an MMP in my eRevo for quite a while with good results. I ran the Castle1800kv motor on 4s.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    as I said, I was at 95 degrees. no need for a motor fan. I dont run in water as the mmp is not waterproof. also the mmp only handles up to 4s which is something else to consider. 4s with the 2250 is really fast for a summit tho. 6s would probably result in breakage and lots of rolling.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HuddledToast View Post
    What specific HPI motor/esc are we talking about here?

There's also the budget friendly option of a $140 esc/motor combo that can be found.

And for waterproof, there's a new MMP that's waterproof (IIRC); not sensored though.
    Im running the hpi flux blur. Its sensorless. Super fast and fully programmable from my pc for crawling or whatever.. pretty nice unit.. there are a lot to choose from though, and it can be big bucks!!