RC Competitor

Traxxas support today said they are out of parts for QR-1

Blades, motors and bodies are in short supply.

Could be a few weeks before we see any new parts.

Not good news for any of us with non-functional birds.

Quote Originally Posted by BitStop View Post

I see rotors and 2 colors of canopy's http://buy.traxxas.com/default.php?c...59_15277_15609

Tower is listing as Late January on most their parts. Hopefully it wont be long... Wish I had more information to give you Bitstop.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Competitor
    Today is the last day in January... so you can't get much later!

Traxxas Employee

Many of the parts are now available through your local hobby shops.

RC Enthusiast
    The Traxxas web site shows colored blades in stock and blue and green bodies.

RC poster
    There are parts all over the interwebs. I just got my replacement shell and black/white blades in today.

RC Competitor
    I ordered blades from Traxxas 2 weeks ago. I ordered a motor on Yesterday from both Traxxas and a set of motors and blades from one of the other companies that sell versions of the QR-1. Lets see who arrives first... The set of 4 motors + blades cost less then 1 motor from Traxxas.

RC Qualifier
    My concern with doing that is what effect that may have on the warranty or replacement program. I know where your coming from though.

RC Competitor
    The parts are the same as Traxxas parts ... the serial numbers on the Hubsan X4 parts and the Traxxas are the same. I also think the cost of shipping the Traxxas back from Canada and getting it back would cost more then just buying a new unit.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I was just saying I don't know how traxxas would handle something like that if someone did send it in with non traxxas branded parts.

RC Competitor
    Well as of yesterday I have been waiting 2 weeks for my new motor to come in from Traxxas. I am sure it is much better for people who live in the USA but here in Canada ... The lack of parts in stock is a real pain.

RC Competitor
    Local hobby store said my parts should be in tomorrow. Still a very long time to wait for parts.
    Getting ready to install the motor it looks like one of the screws holding the body together will not come out.
    It looks like it it was a self tapping screw that will just refuse to remove and if i try harder I will risk stripping the head of the screw.

I know I can install the motor without removing the body but it would have been nice... It was not designed like other Traxxas devices that have been designed with repair in mind. It is designed to be a disposable product.

It was not designed like other Traxxas devices that have been designed with repair in mind. It is designed to be a disposable product.
    I have to disagree with that statement. The fact that screws were installed means it was meant to be taken apart to be repaired when needed. If not it would have been glued together or some other method meant to be permanent.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Local hobby store said my parts should be in tomorrow. Still a very long time to wait for parts.
    Getting ready to install the motor it looks like one of the screws holding the body together will not come out.
    It looks like it it was a self tapping screw that will just refuse to remove and if i try harder I will risk stripping the head of the screw.

I know I can install the motor without removing the body but it would have been nice... It was not designed like other Traxxas devices that have been designed with repair in mind. It is designed to be a disposable product.
    Ahaha you have to be kidding, I don't think an $85 dollar heli that every part can be replaced is disposable. It's just that traxxas does not manufacture it so getting parts on the market isn't necessarily up to them.

RC Competitor
    Fair point to both of your comments. You are both correct... However self tapping screws in plastic are not designed to be removed and re installed very many times. The motors don't plug into the main board. I don't think when the company who built the design of the quad was thinking about the effort required for repair. I think it is like an apple design where they thought about look and function and repair was someone eases problem.

You can buy all the parts for an iPhone 4, many parts are put together with glue. I would argue in many ways the manufacture of the iPhone 4 wanted it to be disposable.

Most Traxxas products are designed to be repaired from the ground up. I don't feel this Quad was.

RC poster
    You really expect them to thread tiny little plactic parts? Maybe It wouldn't last if you kept taking the screws out but the only reason I see for doing that is if the part it broken and going to be replaced so it doesn't matter. On such a small little thing I don't think there would be room to have plugs on everything, if a motor broke it's not hard to solder a little wire together.

RC Competitor
    My local hobby store was wrong... my parts for my blade heli that I only ordered a week ago... Not the Traxxas QR-1 parts i orderd 2+ weeks ago... DARN!

RC Racer
    Fair point to both of your comments. You are both correct... However self tapping screws in plastic are not designed to be removed and re installed very many times. The motors don't plug into the main board. I don't think when the company who built the design of the quad was thinking about the effort required for repair. I think it is like an apple design where they thought about look and function and repair was someone eases problem.

You can buy all the parts for an iPhone 4, many parts are put together with glue. I would argue in many ways the manufacture of the iPhone 4 wanted it to be disposable.

Most Traxxas products are designed to be repaired from the ground up. I don't feel this Quad was.

I completely agree with everything he said. Its a "toy" quad for under $100 and nothing more than that.

RC Competitor
    ive seen smaller screws have machine threads, on micro crawlers and micro servos. and the other tiny micro quads have plugs, why wouldnt this one?