RC Champion

Question Aluminum Shock Towers or RPM?

Broke a shock tower in my brushless Maxx today. I run 4S; basically I just bash lightly and tool around.

Recommendations for a quality aluminum replacement? Or should I just go RPM?

I don't mind replacing something else in addition, if it helps prevent the "next weak link" from breaking.

Thx in advance!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    Quality replacments, flm 6061 , UE Knucklehead. The rpms are great,they flex and dont break. If you have stock bulkheads I would stick with the rpm.

RC Qualifier
    ^^^^^
    What EMAXXBRUSHLESS said. Just one more thing to consider with the FLM Al Shock Towers is the extra flexibility in shock mounting positions which is useful at times.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Champion
    Just ordered the RPMs. Always a known quantity.

Thanks guys!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i pulled my rpm towers off my t maxx i bought over 8 years ago! still work great!

RC Champion
    Good to know!

RC Qualifier
    with the FLM are they tall enough to run 1/8 buggy shocks? I have some from an Ofna and they are like 1/2 longer than stocks and don't fit.

RC Champion
    In the past there was some debate that the RPM towers flexed too much. While they are a great product, the theory was that the extra flex was causing the shock shafts to bend for not so perfect landings. The fix was good quality aluminum towers.

Now, like I said, this seemed to be more of a debatable theory as I don't think anyone has ever proven it.

I have RPM towers on my E Maxx. I have TiN coated shock shafts. I have not yet bend a shaft. But then again I'm a little more conservative with my truck.

If I swap to aluminum towers I am eyeing the UE Knuckleheads.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I use the FLM towers with the stock posts. That way, if there's a hard hit upside down, those posts will flex or break. But then, those towers are connected to TRX aluminum bulks which are connected to an FLM chassis. I also run RPM arms, so the center of my truck should be safe. Underneath, titanium skids keep things protected.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have rpm towers but plan on upgrading when I can afford it!