RC Qualifier

Lipos in transmitter

So who has converted them to lipo and why?

All I see is the need to rebalance and mess around with another battery. Nimh last months anyway so what's the advantage?
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Qualifier
    Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

RC Qualifier
    I don't see any need. I use rechargeable in my tqi and haven't needed to charge them yet. You would need a low voltage alarm and a voltage reducer to get the right voltage to the transmitter anyway. Seems like more work than it's worth. Now, for the 8 battery transmitters, that could be a viable option.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Money pit View Post
    Now, for the 8 battery transmitters, that could be a viable option.
    Some guys I fly with have LiPos in their Tx. I don't see the need, really. NiMh last long enough as it is. I can get almost an entire summer of flying in on one 8.4v pack.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I use NIMH AA rechargeable, they last forever, also the regular AA batts. I think you can use Life packs which is 6v, or if you want a lipo you will need a voltage regulator. IMO there is no need.

RC Qualifier
    Those are great answers guys thanks. That's pretty much what I thought, I have just bought an 8 cell tx but for how long the nimh cells will last I don't think I could be bothered to charge/ balance/ storage an additional lipo every run.

Thanks guys.

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone know the MAX voltage the TQI 2.4 can handle ? interested in putting a 6.6v pack in it.

not sure, but what I just looked
    Google
    what is the voltage of aa battery

1.5v x 4 = 6v

??
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    That would be a nice to know. Traxxas sells a 5Cell NIMH pack as an option which at full charge would be around 6.9V and 6.6V life pack full charge volatge is about 7.2V. I dont think 0.3V will make much of a difference.

spec page
    The TQi 2.4GHz transmitter requires only four AA alkaline batteries to deliver premium long-range control. That saves money, and reduces the weight of the transmitter for all-day driving comfort. The Docking Base also accepts an accessory rechargable NiMH Power Pack battery pack part #3037.

http://buy.traxxas.com/advanced_sear...p?partnum=3037
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-31-2013 at 06:16 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by revomikey View Post
    Those are great answers guys thanks. That's pretty much what I thought, I have just bought an 8 cell tx but for how long the nimh cells will last I don't think I could be bothered to charge/ balance/ storage an additional lipo every run.

Thanks guys.
    if your radio needs 8 cell, pretty sure you can use a lipo batt, what radio is it ? futaba? I had a spektrum dx3r it needs 4 AA, but regular batts won't last much.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 01-31-2013 at 07:57 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    if your radio needs 8 cell, pretty sure you can use a lipo batt, what radio is it ? futaba? I had a spektrum dx3r it needs 4 AA, but regular batts won't last much.
    It's the ansmann w6, really sweet (butt ugly though) tx. I pumped 8 rechargeables into it and so far I am well impressed.
    Last edited by revomikey; 01-31-2013 at 12:48 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    That would be a nice to know. Traxxas sells a 5Cell NIMH pack as an option which at full charge would be around 6.9V and 6.6V life pack full charge volatge is about 7.2V. I dont think 0.3V will make much of a difference.

spec page
    The TQi 2.4GHz transmitter requires only four AA alkaline batteries to deliver premium long-range control. That saves money, and reduces the weight of the transmitter for all-day driving comfort. The Docking Base also accepts an accessory rechargable NiMH Power Pack battery pack part #3037.

http://buy.traxxas.com/advanced_sear...p?partnum=3037
    You got a point but , I am not brave enough to try that on the only remote I have hope perhaps some one can confirm using life batteries on the TQI.

RC Champion
    I doubt you will have issues but understand your concern.
    I run a life battery in my Futaba 4PKs, works great. It comes stock with the 6V nimh. Pretty much the same scenario. Whether not you need to is personal preference. For me I did so because I want max transmit range and not having to worry about charging the radio battery. For the TQI it would mean no more having to worry about AA batteries and spares and the same extremly long run time.

RC Qualifier
    I don't know much about life batteries, do they need to be put into storage mode after use like lipos?

RC Champion
    I don't know much about life batteries, do they need to be put into storage mode after use like lipos?
    No, different chemical compound, Lithium phosphate vs Litium Polymer. Dont need low voltage cutoff either. They have about 4 times the cycle capabilites of LIPO and NIMH.

RC Qualifier
    So you can charge them, put them in the tx and forget about them til they run flat? Even if it takes months?

RC Champion
    Yep. I generally don't leave batteries in mine when not in use for more than a few days but the life batteries are supposed to hold a charge without loosing any of it for a year or more.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So you can charge them, put them in the tx and forget about them til they run flat? Even if it takes months?
    That's exactly what I do. I have a tqi, and a futaba 3pl, which shows the voltage of the batts, and it remains the same for months.

RC Enthusiast
    That's exactly what I do. I have a tqi, and a futaba 3pl, which shows the voltage of the batts, and it remains the same for months.
    rc-fan can you confirm you using a life battery on the TQI, which voltage?

RC Champion
    I use a 1500mah 3s pack in my futuba 3pm....lasts a lot longer than the alkalines and nimh batteries I used in the past. The 3pm displays the battery voltage on the screen and will also alert you when the voltage gets down around 10 volts which is perfect for a 3s lipo.

I also use lipo's in my heli tx's which drain batteries a lot faster due to much stronger signal strength. On some of the newer aircraft tx's that have gone to 4 AA's (instead of 8) my 2s lipo lasts about twice as long as aa's do.
    Last edited by candy76man; 02-03-2013 at 12:12 AM.
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    This is great advice fellas thanks, so I can see that lipos are too inconvenient for a tx but a 3s life that you can just forget about sounds like a good idea.

I run an ansmann w6 that takes 8 AA's, it's already set up for lipo use having a plug in the battery compartment. I can see me putting a life 3s pack in there.

Picture of BANNED product removed

8 AAs is 12v, a 3s life pack is 9.9v. Will this cause any issues? Less range etc?
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-03-2013 at 02:12 PM.

RC Champion
    Im sure it will decrease the transmit range by some but whether or not it has any adverse effect is on your radio and your use.

You might want to remove that photo, that is a prohibited brand here and if you dont do it a Mod will be by shortly to edit it for you and give you a warning in the least.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by acidburn123 View Post
    I run AA nimh batts. I've thinking of getting a life pack, but I'm happy with the nimh, and I don't have to do any mods to the radio to run them.

This is great advice fellas thanks, so I can see that lipos are too inconvenient for a tx but a 3s life that you can just forget about sounds like a good idea.

I run an ansmann w6 that takes 8 AA's, it's already set up for lipo use having a plug in the battery compartment. I can see me putting a life 3s pack in there

8 AAs is 12v, a 3s life pack is 9.9v. Will this cause any issues? Less range etc?
    If you radio needs 12v, I wouldn't run 9.9v that pretty low, I would consider a 3s. Look for receiver packs they are small.

RC Qualifier
    I run AA nimh batts. I've thinking of getting a life pack, but I'm happy with the nimh, and I don't have to do any mods to the radio to run them.

If you radio needs 12v, I wouldn't run 9.9v that pretty low, I would consider a 3s. Look for receiver packs they are small.
    Isn't a 3s life 9.9v though?

Can't remove pic due to age of post. Sorry mods, please remove if this is against forum rules.
    Last edited by revomikey; 02-03-2013 at 10:10 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Was refering a 3s lipo 11.1v

RC Qualifier
    Was refering a 3s lipo 11.1v
    Ahhh, gotcha.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by acidburn123 View Post
    Did you test it in the meantime? I'm modding my transmitter but did not tested fully charged LiFe by now:
    http://www.maxrev.de/traxxas-summit-....htm#pic380689

RC Qualifier
    I can say 2 things:

I have a LOSI mini8 with stock tx. Crap tx. Range was terrible. It had 4*1.5v baterys. SO i went with li-fe 6.6v baterys and range had improved by 20meters. And i charge only 1 time in a year after that! :P
    Got a better system later... but having those life 6.6v laying around had helped!

Being an old fart from the miniz scene i had a tx with 8*1.2v hand that was a nightware... had to charge month after month and removing and puting those 8 1.2v was PITA. SO :

-Life 9.9v batery on it! It last 2 years playing almost everyday!

And got more storys... a Sanwa with 8*1.2v same story... puted a 3s 11.1v and i charge that only one time in 2 years!

Hope that rings some bells!
    Last edited by targetingxmod; 12-20-2013 at 06:40 AM.

RC poster