Thread: Water Skipping

RC Qualifier

Water Skipping

Haven't been around the merv forums for awhile! Now that my slayer is my daily driver, I want a purpose for my merv Has anyone tried water skipping with a merv? This spring I want to try to skip across the local pond?..
    Do I really actually need to do anything different to the suspension?
    Here's my list of what I'll try to skip with-
    Merv-Upgraded-http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?8963615-Latemodelstampede-s-MERV-Build/page2

stock esc and motor should do it with parallel 3s? i would think? Whats the biggest mah 3s lipo that will fit in the merv?
    for wheels and tires- 2.2 traxxas dish with Pro-Line Rear Sand Paw 2.0 2.2 Sand Truck Tires

Then i will probably put some foam underneath the body or some air pouches or something.
    Then will probably tie some fishing line to the wing and have the spool move freely (on a dowel with a friend holding it) so if merv does take a dive (and hopefully floats) we can just pull it back instead of going swimming for it. Then even if it does start to sink, we can still pull it out too

Ideas and suggestions... let em' rip!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dennerracingteamdrt

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by latemodelstampede View Post
    *snip*
    Ideas and suggestions... let em' rip!
    Buy a boat

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I agree with Toast. And I have followed the "it is gone" thread and its a sad story with a sad ending lol.
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Qualifier
    Ha! - If u wanna destroy it, make it interesting by lighting it on fire first

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Water running is probably going to pull more amps than the stock ESC can handle. I suggest finding a 4S+ capable 80 amp ESC and running 3S.
    Paddles are a good idea.
    Keeping the tires in balance is a good idea.
    You are going to want it as light as possible.
    You are going to want as much ground clearance as possible.

1800mAh is the largest 3S I have seen that fits.

Tying a string will not guarantee the return of your RC. Even pond beds are rarely smooth and snag free.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    I've done it across a 70-80 foot pool of water that was only about 14" deep using Summit tires.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Qualifier
    Look up "Jesus revo" on YouTube, there are 3 clips of a guy skimming the revo. I figure all you really need is paddles (mounted backwards so they push you out instead of pull you in). Extra power would be useful though, doesn't look like you need to be going all too fast.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Racer
    Rinning tem backwards or forward just chooses how many amps your going to draw. They do waterskipping with 4x4 atvs all the time with the tires facing forward. Just remember when your on water your merv will still pop a wheelie if your not careful

RC Racer
    Rinning tem backwards or forward just chooses how many amps your going to draw. They do waterskipping with 4x4 atvs all the time with the tires facing forward. Just remember when your on water your merv will still pop a wheelie if your not careful

RC Qualifier
    If I wanted to to buy a boat, I would have said "hey guys what boat can i buy"
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dennerracingteamdrt

RC Racer
    Lol^. Good one. There is a couple vids i was watching on you tube with waterskipping a pond with erevo and slash 1/10 scale. So if you have the batterries should do ok the slash looked like it was running the stock tires. Sounds like less friction and both had problems keeping the front tires down looked about like a 20 mph run when they hit the water and could hear the motor whine up. Not sure if they were full throttling or staying about the same throttle cause there is less friction on water

RC Racer
    I wouldnt agree with the string though id get a blow up boat or something and put a big air packing pack under the body like you were talking about

RC Qualifier
    I'm gonna attempt it with my MERV and another truck of mine across my pond once it warms up. And I was going to tie some fishing string to it, figured that'd be the best bet incase worse case scenario happens..lol And thought I read it worked better with running the Pro Line Sand Paws backwards worked the best. Didn't want to wheelie as much....But good luck and make sure get it on film...

RC Racer
    I water skip with mine every chance I get its a riot. I have panther paddles mounted on all four corners with a waterproof MMP running the stock motor on one 1800 mah 3s. I tried tying fishing line too it but it creates too much drag so what I did was zip tie a piece of a pool noodle to the body mounts so it floats and if it does stop in the middle if a pond all u do is use a small amount if throttle to get it back to shore. It does take some practice to get the right amount if throttle too much and the rear end sinks too little and the whole thing sinks

RC Racer
    I waterskipped my merv with 3s, big block vxl and 1/16 grave digger wheels, was a puddle about 2 meters and 3 inchs deep but still went over with ease, all you gotta do is keep it straight and floor it!
    Traxxas and yamaha - cant do anything without them