RC poster

Stampede 2wd or save for the Emaxx

hello, new to the forum, in the past I owned a HPI Savage 21 & loved it but it's a little loud for my munchkin now & my main uses will be when camping so I don't want to be too noisy, I loved how fast it went & how it could jump, but hated how often it was down for repairs. To the issue at hand - i have been looking at the Stampede 2wd monster truck - looks great, afordable at $225, but does not look beefy compared to the Emax at $450 - so my questions do I wait and save for the Emaxx or buy the 2wd stampede and hope for the best, not sure which to do - any input please

RC Competitor
    I would save for the E-maxx. IMO handles better and it is 4wd, but that is just my opinion.

RC Racer
    I have a pede i built for a friend and it Doesnt compare to my brushless EMaxx. But, i seem to break more on the max. Have you looked at a 4x4 pede? That might be a good middle ground.
    I use my rc's while campering as well and the max is the best in campground grass. I also have a sl4sh with sn mmp/2650 brushlesd combo. Its crazy fast, but not as good in thick or tall grass

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Sl4sh with CC MMP 3800, 2 mervs, a 3905 BL eMaxx,

RC poster
    not to sound stupid - stuie but what is a pede or 4x4 pede?

RC Champion
    4WD is what it is...4WD! I *love* my E-Maxx Brushless. I do light bashing, tooling around and speed runs. I've broken one part in a month of owning it (despite dozens of flip-overs and ugly cartwheels). Highly durable! The brushed version obviously won't be as fast, but you can expect similar durability.

On the other hand, you can buy yourself a 2WD Pede and upgrade til your heart's content, if that's your thing. Just looking at it from both sides.

But IMO, you can't go wrong with the Maxx!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Competitor
    pede = Stampede 4x4pede = Stampede 4wd

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vaderjd69 View Post
    not to sound stupid - stuie but what is a pede or 4x4 pede?
    pede = "stampede"
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    I've got the brushless version of the Emaxx, Slash 4x4 MT, pede 4x4, 2wd pede. By far my favorite is the Pede 4x4 or Slash 4x4 I converted to a MT. The Emaxx is fun, but it has cost me about $2K to get where I'm at now with it, haven't broken anything in a long time since the upgrades. The Pede4x4 is basically stock, just RPM arms and front bumper. I've recently added MIP cvd's to it cuz I'm upping the power. Just some thoughts.
    FLM EMBE, P4de "Digger", Slash MT, Rustler/P4de

RC Racer
    I have the 30th anniversary digger and a brushed EMaxx. The Digger is super fun to drive, and the tires that come stock make it absorb jumps and bumps very well. Turning at higher speeds isn't all that great but manageable and I have yet to replace a single part on it. I did just order the green rpm slash front bumper for it for extra protection.

The EMaxx is a lot of fun also but it seems like every time it gets driven something gets broken. Mostly just small things here and there e.g. (shock tower, rod ends, a arms, driveline). Easily upgradeable, or make sure to carry extras or your day can come to an end fairly quickly.

Overall I would rather have the EMaxx. It's 4wd, with added Lipo's has tons of power, and it's huge.

Either way you won't be disappointed. Hope my $.02 helped.
    T-Maxx 3.3/E-Maxx/30th Digger/1:10 Summit/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    I have the Emaxx and 4wd slash and I love them both. I had a revo 3.3 but got tired with doing all the maint on the engine. I wanted something like that again and went with the Emaxx.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i went with the revo then my daughter wanted an e maxx brushless now putting 1/8 scales diffs in both!

RC Enthusiast
    trying to decide the same thing myself and was leaning towards the 4wd pede but still back and forth. My 2wd hardly had to replace any parts that weren't optional and it took a beating.

RC Qualifier
    The E-Maxx is good! but it really depends on your budget. it does cost ALOT of money to get it to a level of performance. well mine anyways. It is a Wide Maxx Body 2ND Gen E-maxx.

RC Qualifier
    +1 for the 4x4pede Ive, heard and seen to many issues with the emaxx unless you drop some cash into it to get it upgraded to handle some harder bashing...pede parts are everywhere and tons of things you can do I would have to say my money would go to the 4x4pede but if you cant wait nothing wrong with the 2wdpede either just not 4x4 and I would recommend the vxl version of the 2wdpede if you got it instead of waiting....just my 2cents
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Champion
    Another vote for the stampede 4x4. I've owned several E-Maxx's, both brushed and brushless, and they're no where near as durable as the Stampede 4x4.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

Stampede 4x4 all the way dude ......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If you want something very very simply and durable... a no frills kind of fun experience. The stampede (2X4) is the way to go. If you want something bigger, more complex and less durable out of the box, go with an Emaxx. Good middle ground IS the stampede 4X4. Ive owned all of them (literally, nearly ever traxxas vehicle). My favourite one is the 2X4 stampede. Its small enough to easily transport it. Requires only one battery so charging takes less time and you can run for twice as long on the same ## of batteries. Its simple enough to completely rebuild on the tailgate of a pickup truck (as me how I know). parts are cheap and easy to find. It can be upgraded in an seemingly unlimited way and you can get a VXL 2X4 stampede for LESS than a brushed Emaxx and still have money left over for some upgrades or batteries or whatever.

I had an Emaxx, started as brushed (and I have to admit, I was impressed with the power of the brushed motors, not at all disappointing), then I upgraded it to brushless. Seems like it was one thing after another. Bulkheads, skid plates, body mounts... on and on. I ended up upgrading it alot to make it durable only to realize I had enough $$ in it to have bought a brushed E-Revo which would have been alot more durable out of the box.

I had a 4X4 stampede as well. Super durable, very fun truck. Not overly hard to work on. Definitly alot more moving parts than a 2X4. I found the stock VXL system was pretty stressed in that truck, especially in grass. I dont think there are any glaring weak points other than the slipper bearing adapter. Which can be solved by an aluminum upgraded part for less than $10. The motor mount bearing is also a problem so a King Headz with the over sized bearing is ALMOST a must have. At the end of the day, I had to weight out which truck I had more fun (like FUN... easy, cheap, hassle free FUN) with. And the 2X4 stampede is it. Hands down.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I would go stampede
    Cheaper and more reliable
    Try to buy a vxl version though
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Stampede, either 2wd or 4x4, both great trucks.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    MT Slash
    Stampede
    Stampede 4x4
    1/16 Erevo