RC Qualifier

The Best Off Road Tires?

I would really like to get some off road tires but I don't know what to get. I will be using the BF's for on road only because they get decent traction, but I need good off road tires. I really like the Trenchers and the Badlands. I am using the stock system and 2s Lipos so it won't be overpowered. I like the badlands, but they seem to wear out quickly, even when used just on dirt. The Trenchers on the other hand though, a lot of people say they aren't the best for off road, but I don't know about that. I would also like to know if I should get 2.2's or 2.8's because 2.8's get more traction, but are they a strain on the system? Do they need more power to run? Will they make a huge difference on the battery time of the car? I am not running the car with any body on so I don't have any problems with rubbing. I like the idea more of 2.8's but I want to get a professional opinion.

RC Qualifier
    man i have gotten a ton of use out of my sc badlands. love them
    EFFORT EQUALS RESULTS

RC Champion
    Might not be a pro but I would say you fine to get the 2.8" trenchers. I have the 2.2" trenchers and love them. They do great off road. Pretty bad on road though. They shouldn't put any strain on the truck. They will even increase the speed just slightly but not noticeably.

I Would not!!! get 2.8 tires if your using the xl5 system

Brushless system is fine

I like trenchers
    Really if your running off road the tires won't wear out so quick.
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Proline Calibers have been worked for me pretty well.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate
    Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    I Would not!!! get 2.8 tires if your using the xl5 system

Brushless system is fine

I like trenchers
    Really if your running off road the tires won't wear out so quick.
    The Slash 4x4 never came with the Xl5. It comes with the VXL out of the box. My favorite off road tires are the original Slash tires in S1 compound. I have had a great time with these tires. Great for mud and dirt! They have a long life also, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYVD1&P=7 is a link to what I am talking about. Good luck on whatever you get! Keep us posted on your choice and how they perform for you.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    My friend is letting me loan his Badlands, (2.8) and I'm gonna try them. This "testing" will be in the summer though as here it is just snowing and snowing and when it isn't snowing, it's -30 degrees! If I absolutely love them, then I will buy some. If I don't I will probably get the Trenchers. But still, what would be better, 2.2 or 2.8?

RC Champion
    2.2 SC trenchers, new "X" compound, either in M3 soft or M2 medium. They're some of the best overall tires for the slash 4x4. Plenty of grip on most any surface. 2.2 Badlands SC are great too. Most other tires from pro-line are more purpose-built.

2.8" trenchers are huge, and require body modifications to make the fit. 2.8 badlands are the same way, although their grip is incredible. Either one would turn your truck into a monster truck.

The S1 stock tires are great too, like ElSob said. Pretty close to 2.2 SC trenchers.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The Slash 4x4 never came with the Xl5. It comes with the VXL out of the box. My favorite off road tires are the original Slash tires in S1 compound. I have had a great time with these tires. Great for mud and dirt! They have a long life also, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYVD1&P=7 is a link to what I am talking about. Good luck on whatever you get! Keep us posted on your choice and how they perform for you.
    Lol awks
    Thought this was the slash 2wd forum
    That's actually really humiliating

That's actually really humiliating
    Isn't it? I did that TWICE in the same day.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    LOL now I feel better
    Its like bieng a newb all over again

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Wolfslash guess what just happened.
    It happened to me Again

But this time in the sl2sh forum talking about a sl4sh

Uh oh I think we jynxed it

RC Qualifier
    Best dust/ grass/ rocks/ gravel tires is the Proline Badlands. They have amazing traction. They also wear out quickly on road though but I use my BF Goodrichs' for on road only.

Best on road/ tiny rocks/ sand/ dust raising tires is the Proline Trenchers. They give out rooster tails like no other tire I've ever used! They don't wear out as quickly but they also have traction worse then the badlands because they are more firm, thus the huge rooster tails. They are also a bit heavier (noticeable by holding them).

Don't bother with the traxxas tires, stick with proline, they cost about the same, WAYY better performance, traction, and overall tires for the same price.

I got the 2.8 badlands today for the front and 2.8 trenchers for the rear today. They add sooo much traction, on road and off road. I like them, the only problem is that the stock system doesn't have enough power because this whole car is heavy, even without the wheels and these are WAAY more heavy then the stock ones. Now I have to look into new motors and ESCs, and then I'll need MIP axles and so on and so forth so when you are looking for tires, make sure you are ready for any reprocussions that may come with it.

RC Champion
    I am a basher dirt only. Spent more than I care to say on pre mounts trying to find the best tire for my slash 4x4 Castle mmp sct on 3S. As of now my fav pro-line split six bead lock with trenchers stock size taped. Taping was the big secret for me as far as traction near no ballooning what so ever..

RC Racer
    i have only run bf in hard compound and s1...s1 over the hard for sure is best...i also have the hankooks off the axial exo and they hook much better offroad than the s1 do

i like a tire for bashing that looks realistic also,so no knobbies for me except for the track lol

RC Racer
    okay,sp after some refresher driving today...i gotta say the hankooks and bf s1 compound are pretty comparable in normal yard running,gravel,loose clay/dirt

keep in mind i don't have much experience,but both these tires are pretty good IMO...i bet the bf will out last the hankooks also

RC Racer
    I have Louise Pioneers and first impressions are really good. I only have the stock BF's that came with the Slash to compare to, but the tread pattern is good and they grip great on all surfaces that I have used them on so far. In Australia where at a LHS I can get a set for $55 with wheels price wise they are great value compared to Pro-lines which are more around the $120 mark.

RC Racer
    the bf s1 compound will give you a better control when just letting off the throttle and turning hard at the same time...the hankooks have a tendency to whip around due to the fronts grabbing hard when the weight transfers

RC Racer
    idk about the 4wd, but the 2wd works AMAZING with trenchers in back and stock in front. looks bad, but im working on fixing that
    "Do not think this ends here..."
    -Ganondorf

Since my last post on this thread I have been running the Proline Badlands and all I can say is they are just awesome! Soo much traction! Wheelies on command! I highly recommend them! !!

RC Champion
    Since my last post on this thread I have been running the Proline Badlands and all I can say is they are just awesome! Soo much traction! Wheelies on command! I highly recommend them! !!
    Traction, that's what they should call them. ProLine Traction. . They have the best overall grip of all the RC tires I've used.

RC Qualifier
    The Badlands were recommended to me by my LHS and they are awesome!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    LOL now I feel better
    Its like bieng a newb all over again
    Don't we all at some point? Well my favorite tires so far is the Proline Switch, very cheap because nobody buys it at my LHS and good traction and wear for that price.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Don't we all at some point? Well my favorite tires so far is the Proline Switch, very cheap because nobody buys it at my LHS and good traction and wear for that price.
    The Switch are my favorite all terrain tires. They are great tires with good grip and long life. You might want to go buy as many as you can find. I don't believe they are being made any more.

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    LOL yeah
    This is an old thread!

RC Qualifier
    I ended up getting the 2.8" Trenchers for Rear and 2.8" Badlands in the front. Great traction, wheelies on command, snaps drive axles (Stock HD Traxxas) on command as well. Now I have to look for some MIP or Tekno's.