RC Racer

15t replacement motor?

My 8 y.o. son and I are both complete noobs to this but we love it. We have had the rustler for about 3 days now. I have read about 9 billion forums in that time and I still dont have a clear answer. I am not interested at all about going to brushless or changing any gears, batteries or ESC's ..its plenty fast for him right now. If he continues to like this hobby I will go that route but for now I just need a good motor. My question is What is a good brushed motor to replace the stock motor (which we all know doesn't last) in the rustler with? What size motor (17t, 18t,20t?) can I go to without changing gears, batteries, ESC's? We can handle a bit more speed or torque but nothing insane. Thanks in advance to everyone...any advice is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Best option I know of for perfromance to price ratio is the HPI Firebolt 15T. It's a 540 sized motor, so you may need to drop a tooth or three on the pinion, but they run strong and can be had for about $12.

Aside from that, a decent rebuildable 19 turn motor will out run the stock Titan and also last a lot longer and be fully rebuildable when it does start to wear.

The Reedy Radon 17 turn is also a pretty potent motor. Problem is, it's not rebuildable and they have a rep that might even be worse than the Titan for longevity.

RC Champion
    I don't no much about this motor , But I found this one on ebay . http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-Atomik...item53f37375f1
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the forum. +1 on the to the firebolt. Just make sure you do a good break in on any brushed motor.
    This hobby is great to share with your kids. Enjoy
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Champion
    Many people have found the Electrifly S-600 to be a great brushed motor to replace the Titan. It needs the wires etc from the Titan soldered on but it's supposed to be very durable and reliable and inexpensive from Tower hobbies.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Racer
    Thank you very much to all of you....Very useful info. I will research each of these and start ordering. Does anyone know anything about this motor (Team Orion Formula Pro BB Modified 15T Double) ? I found it on ebay for around 60 bucks...cant find to many reviews on it though.

RC Qualifier
    stevenhousden, not specifically that motor. But I've had good experiences with rebuildable Team Orion motors in the past.

FWIW, the cheap HPI motor that harry697 recommended is great! One of the biggest bargains in RC

RC Racer
    My car came 19t pinion 86 spur...so if I go with the the HPI Firebolt 15T, will I need to change the pinion gear to a 16t and will I need to change the spur at all? I was trying to avoid changing any gears but from what I have read all day, its inevitable.

RC Competitor
    i have several stampedes & an older rustler,all currently have the firebolt 15t.bolt it in and go,no gear change,no soldering,& i get mine at lhs for $14.oo ea longevity isnt the absolut best,but its better than the titan.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenhousden View Post
    My car came 19t pinion 86 spur...so if I go with the the HPI Firebolt 15T, will I need to change the pinion gear to a 16t and will I need to change the spur at all? I was trying to avoid changing any gears but from what I have read all day, its inevitable.
    I ran my Slash 16/86 with the Firebolt and it seemed to like it. With the Rustler, maybe a 17 or 18 should work.

RC Racer
    Thank you..I know the older rustlers came geared 23/86 and now they are 19/86 so I was confused as to if I needed to change the pinion or leave it at 19. My LHS is a traxxas dealer and we were excited about going there the other day....this guy has thousands of parts...just no motors or battery packs in stock..He's been in business for over 25 years but he is a "train guy" Not so much an rc car guy, so not very helpful when I asked about all of this. I appreciate everyone's time and advice.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Best option I know of for perfromance to price ratio is the HPI Firebolt 15T. It's a 540 sized motor, so you may need to drop a tooth or three on the pinion, but they run strong and can be had for about $12.

Aside from that, a decent rebuildable 19 turn motor will out run the stock Titan and also last a lot longer and be fully rebuildable when it does start to wear.

The Reedy Radon 17 turn is also a pretty potent motor. Problem is, it's not rebuildable and they have a rep that might even be worse than the Titan for longevity.
    Out of curiosity do they make a 550 version of this motor?
    "Lead, follow or get the F*&K out of the way!"

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by scaccima View Post
    Out of curiosity do they make a 550 version of this motor?
    I looked all over and I couldn't find one. I ordered the 540 http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-1146-Fir...item43b7fae19a
    and ordered a 17t pinion http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-82034-Pi...item56517a71f9 for 4 bucks to go with it....

RC Competitor
    just ran my rustler last night on 21/87,w/gens ace 2s/5000mah/40c lipo,2.2wheels & dirtpaws.it was 24 degrees outside,only ran it for 10 mins or so. things got fairly warm(xl5/firebolt15t). warm enough im swapping to a 20t pinion & retesting,as i prefer to keep this thing nearly bulletproof for my sons.

Quote Originally Posted by diggerdad View Post
    just ran my rustler last night on 21/87,w/gens ace 2s/5000mah/40c lipo,2.2wheels & dirtpaws.it was 24 degrees outside,only ran it for 10 mins or so. things got fairly warm(xl5/firebolt15t). warm enough im swapping to a 20t pinion & retesting,as i prefer to keep this thing nearly bulletproof for my sons.
    Good call. The 540 motor doesn't have anywhere near the torque that the Titan does. Dropping at least a couple teeth on the pinion is pretty much mandatory.

RC Competitor
    my sv2/4600 has me spoiled! more torque than i can currently use,and plenty of speed. was a bit surprised at how fast the rustler was w/ the firebolt,at least while the batt. was fresh!