Thread: XO-1 Mods

RC Qualifier

XO-1 Mods

Mods I learned from Fart of Doom. Real Cold Air intake, carnards for increased down force and 70CFM of cooling air from fans and Custom Heat sink and additional lipo with custom tray... I reinforced the body with Rustoleum Auto Undercoat which works the best, stiff with a little flex... I epoxy bonded foam to the front to seal my intake so no air leaks under speed... Indeed a lot of work, but my XO-1 is ready to rock... will post time and temps when weather gets better...

13 Mustang GT 5.0/XO-1/Jato 3.3/Tmaxx w/ PICCO Red dot/ HPI Vorza Flux/ OFNA LX2/Savox

RC Racer
    Kinda curious to what you're trying to cool down with the "Real cold air intake"? Was your front differential having heat issues?

RC Qualifier
    No I dont have any diff heating issues... I have the XO geared for max speed and all I do is high pass runs... Got this mod from fartofdoom to augment my fans to keep my electronics cool and help the air flow through the car at high speed... I also have an exhaust vent in the rear below the wing... So far I did three 90 mph runs back to back with heavy braking and my highest temp is 98 degrees ;-)

RC Racer
    Being honest here, its a neat idea and all, but I'd venture to hypothesize that the intake has marginal effect on cooling(your big fans and heat sink on the other hand probably help some). Also after looking at the front end of my XO-1, i'd think that this would be a detriment to your aerodynamics. Basically it looks like you created a big cavernous pit in the front of your car for air to enter and collect at the the front differential, and maybe some goes around it into the car but it would have to fight hard to get around the diff, drives shafts, and etc... to do so.

Did you do any testing with just the fans and heat sinks before the intake was put in?

RC Qualifier
    I follow your reasoning indeed... The aerodynamics were suboptimal for me in the first place... At 95 mph I flipped into the air and crashed... I needed more downforce and cooling for my motor... I looked at fartofdoom's setup and thought about real high speed cars... They all have intakes, the problem is that in real cars the wheel well is sealed. Whereas in the XO air passes through the wheel well, so like it or not there is airflow through the car which causes this baby to go airborne at high speed with any imperfection in the road... Now with the intake the car sucks down and stays cool... Remember also I have an exhaust in the rear, so with the 28G canards that I had to rivet for support makes this thing run like its on rails... The only issue for me now is that I run out of space quick... Before the heat sink an fans I was 130 - 160 depending on how hard I run... Now I am yet to see 100 ;-) as soon as it gets warmer I will abuse this thing and post the results...
    Last edited by XO-1 MD; 01-30-2013 at 02:54 PM.

RC Racer
    So powers what you're saying is full size race cars having front air dams and intake is useless? now i understand what you're saying powers about the front aero, but you should try something the next time you're driving your full size car. tape up you're front vents and lets see what's going to happen .

RC Racer
    awesome idea with the roof slider John.

RC Qualifier
    whats the point of the extra battery tray ?
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Qualifier
    Thanks V... The sliders are riveted to the roof.... They don't look as nice but absolutely saves my roof.... Benny the extra battery tray is for my 3s 2200 maH lipo which runs my fans and balances the weight incidentally with my motor and heat sink on the other side... My fan setup and heat sink works like night an day for cooling... Check fartofdoom setup... I got it from him... You can get the heat sink on ebay...

RC Qualifier
    i see now thanks ,
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by FartOfDoom View Post
    So powers what you're saying is full size race cars having front air dams and intake is useless? now i understand what you're saying powers about the front aero, but you should try something the next time you're driving your full size car. tape up you're front vents and lets see what's going to happen .
    The difference is full size cars have an engine in the front of the car. An engine that depends on copious amounts of air to feed internal combustion and to cool the motor via radiators/ heat exchangers. Yes I now some real cars have motors in the back, in this case air ducts in the front feed air to breaks or are designed to flow smoothly in and out aiding in aerodynamics.

As far as tapping up the vents on my real vehicle, theoretically it would give me a higher top speed, IF the engine could still operate properly and long enough without overheating to reach it. Tapping up vents is a little trick used on the salt flats to eek out a few more mph.

RC Qualifier
    Cup cars have used tape to LITERALLY manage engine temp for years. More tape is faster. Less tape is cooler.
    The Annihilator....fastest XO-1 on planet Earth.

RC Qualifier
    I believe and I could be wrong but the intake helps at minimum with cooling... The inside of the car is not air tight like other cars mentioned so allowing flow will translate into less resistance... The problem with the XO-1 aero dynamics is that the car does NOT have a perfect streamline as regular cars and will suck air into the wheel wells at high speed and then FLIP and Crash(more money) the car is great in a straight line stock but who has a perfect road to run on? With the air intake beside the cooling, I am adding better flow down the drive train and through the wheel wells and exhaust port in the rear to provide less of a parachute effect when I hammer the throttle after 90mph....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by powers View Post
    The difference is full size cars have an engine in the front of the car. An engine that depends on copious amounts of air to feed internal combustion and to cool the motor via radiators/ heat exchangers. Yes I now some real cars have motors in the back, in this case air ducts in the front feed air to breaks or are designed to flow smoothly in and out aiding in aerodynamics.
    LOL so now you're saying front intake and air vents is a good thing? you know we do have tubings to redirect air from the intake to the back right? also you are correct about having the intake there is bad for aero, and you might not have realize it yet but that's the reason why we've created the extra side canards. it's basically acts like a vortex and force air to the electronics. we have a naca duct to the motor so why not make one for the esc? i'm sure that naca duct has marginal effect too

Quote Originally Posted by powers View Post
    As far as tapping up the vents on my real vehicle, theoretically it would give me a higher top speed, IF the engine could still operate properly and long enough without overheating to reach it. Tapping up vents is a little trick used on the salt flats to eek out a few more mph.
    i would love to see you tape up your car in the summer time . but yes you're right, taping does help to smooth out airflow over and around the vehicle. but with the air going over and under the car, how will you solve the vacuum issue without air in and out through the rear?
    Last edited by FartOfDoom; 01-31-2013 at 04:41 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStenchOfSpeed View Post
    Cup cars have used tape to LITERALLY manage engine temp for years. More tape is faster. Less tape is cooler.
    cup cars, truck drivers, racers and so have i on my S. again it really depends on the body style of the car and if there's sufficient ventilation.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by FartOfDoom View Post
    LOL so now you're saying front intake and air vents is a good thing? you know we do have tubings to redirect air from the intake to the back right? also you are correct about having the intake there is bad for aero, and you might not have realize it yet but that's the reason why we've created the extra side canards. it's basically acts like a vortex and force air to the electronics. we have a naca duct to the motor so why not make one for the esc? i'm sure that naca duct has marginal effect too

i would love to see you tape up your car in the summer time . but yes you're right, taping does help to smooth out airflow over and around the vehicle. but with the air going over and under the car, how will you solve the vacuum issue without air in and out through the rear?
    I'm saying its a good thing for certain applications. Just because you've seen vents on real cars that really has absolutely nothing to do with the use of venting in this situation. I'm trying to understand your thinking here, I can't really picture tubing running from the cavernous opening you've put in the front of this car to the back. I'm also not quite sure on this whole extra canards that create a vortex? What I am pretty clear on is a naca duct, by design, provides for efficient airflow with little drag. And a naca duct for the esc is a good idea, I actually have some on order.

I'm in Florida so I doubt I'd make it too far with my vents taped up. As far as a vacuum issue I really have no clue what your referring too there, sorry.

None of this is meant to sound fasicous. I guess maybe I'm missing the goal you are modding for. I just don't see this as a sped record set up. Aerodynamics have been compromised too much in favor of cooling.

RC Champion
    Thank you telemetry for reporting the temperature and all the fans that came after.
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 02-05-2013 at 03:22 PM.

RC Champion
    The cooling mods to seem a bit excessive and unnecessary to me. Comparing it to a full size, internal combustion engine is like comparing a Ferrari to a Banana