RC Competitor

Something's not right - motor inop???

This rally is only 3 weeks old... and has only been driven 3 times.

..... so I must be doing something wrong. I mailed it to myself here in Florida... took it out of the box this morning, and was all set to paint the new body, install the new fans, struts, etc.

The steering works just fine.... but when I apply throttle...... nothing. It doesn't even "sound" like it is trying to do anything.... just...... nothing.

The light is blinking red..... and the car won't turn off with the battery connected..... the only way to turn it off is to unplug the battery.

I recalibrated the speed control as per the instructions..... still nothing.

I held the button down... waited for the blinks... and set it to "sport" mode... also as the instructions indicated..... still nothing.

What am I doing wrong? what am I missing?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    What is the little switch on the transmitter that says 50/50 and 70/30 set to? Try changing that, recalibrate and see what happens. Ill keep thinking about other causes, but try that first.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    The light is blinking red
    If it's a slow blinking red, that means LVC (low voltage cutoff), which indicates your battery charge is too low to run the motor. Try a fresh battery if that's the case.

If that doesn't work, I'd call 1-888-TRAXXAS and see what they say. Traxxas tech support is very helpful!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

Traxxas Employee
    Make sure that the ESC is in the correct mode for the type of battery you are using. If you are using the stock battery you will need to switch it out of Lipo Mode in order for it to work correctly.

RC Enthusiast
    I had this same issue once. I dont know if it is your problem as well, but for me it was the battery. I had been running LiPo's. then I tried to run the stock battery one day. had this issue. I tried to take it out of LiPo mode, but it wouldnt witht he stock battery. strange I know. I had to reinstall a Lipo, take it out of Lipo mode, then the stock battery worked great.
    I know it sounds strange, but thats what it was for me.

RC Competitor
    Thanks folks. It doesnt make sense to me..... but that is exactly what happened. I plugged in the original battery just to test it this morning.... not the lipo.

Ill try again this afternoon when I get home from work.

RC Competitor
    I have a similar issue whenever I run my lipo down to when the low voltage kicks in. If I then hook up the stock battery, the low voltage warning will flash and I cannot reset it to the regular battery setting. I have to plug the lipo back in then change the setting and then put the regular battery back in. Hopefully this is the same issue you are having.

is this a completely stock, brand-New Rally? It has to be a simple fix.

I'm sure you'll slap your forehead when you get it figured out.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    That was exactly it..... thanks folks.

I plugged in the lipo battery and it spun right up. Seems weird to me... but I guess that was it.

RC Enthusiast
    no problem. with the LiPo in, you can disable the low voltage detection, and then run the stock battery.... I dont know why it does this from time to time, but thats just the way it is i guess. lol.
    im glad we figured it out, and its no big deal.