RC Racer

can it be upgraded?

Stampede bought around 05 model 3601,3610. My knowledge isn't real heavy on RC's but I got that itch again, so I wanted to upgrade brushless if it can be done. I did install a Novak Super Rooster ESC, a 12T titan motor in it back then and the tires are different, but other than that its stock body and gears. I saw the velineon system but don't know if it will work. If so what all do I need to change including the gears if someone can lend some help.

RC Champion
    The Stampede has not really changed since its release. All the main chassis parts are still the same. Because of this you should be able to find most of the info you need by browsing through a few pages of the Stampede section.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ENFA View Post
    Stampede bought around 05 model 3601,3610. My knowledge isn't real heavy on RC's but I got that itch again, so I wanted to upgrade brushless if it can be done. I did install a Novak Super Rooster ESC, a 12T titan motor in it back then and the tires are different, but other than that its stock body and gears. I saw the velineon system but don't know if it will work. If so what all do I need to change including the gears if someone can lend some help.
    Check w/Traxxas on their Power Up upgrade program. I think the way it works is you send in your old ESC and motor and you can upgrade to the Velineon system for half price, like $135. If you've got the old plastic gear trans, you will have to switch to the newer metal gear style (ebay $35-40 new) and run better rear axles. I've got the stock VXL 4X4 on mine and the rear A arms as well.. These axles pin through the holes in the dif outputs of the new trans. The old style w/grub screws and lightweight axles isn't going to work with this much power. I'm just waiting for when the XL-5 fails and I'm going to power it up the rest of the way then.

RC Racer
    Thanks I've looked thru a few thread and saw people have upgraded then, but not much detail on it. Thanks Rob for some detailed info on what I may need because its challenging when your not that knowledgeable on something, and if this old Stampede Stinger version can be renewed then I'll love to do it with todays technology.

RC Competitor
    Yea you can do it My stampede was even older than yours and now its a brushless beast. You will need the metal gear trans and better rear axles like dude said up there.

RC Racer
    OK, thanks alot for all the advice. I'll try to do a few upgrades. Feel free to lend your knowledge anytime.

RC Racer
    Man I got it brushless now, and I love it. I still have a few things to get, but that old 04 Stampede is running.
    Pull the trigger & ride. You gone crash or Bash!!!

RC Qualifier
    Man I got it brushless now, and I love it. I still have a few things to get, but that old 04 Stampede is running.
    What brushless setup did you get?

RC Qualifier
    I found a NEW Velinion motor and ESC on ebay for $140. Gonna have some fun with that! Already got the metal trans in and the HD axles and A arms from the 4pede. Hopefully since it's a lot lighter, I won't have to put a fan on it like the 4pede. It would be a bit more challenging the way the motor mounts on the 2pede.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    I found a NEW Velinion motor and ESC on ebay for $140. Gonna have some fun with that! Already got the metal trans in and the HD axles and A arms from the 4pede. Hopefully since it's a lot lighter, I won't have to put a fan on it like the 4pede. It would be a bit more challenging the way the motor mounts on the 2pede.
    Do you have a build thread on this Rob? I just found out as well that my cousin had a stampede XL-1, and not the XL-5. I have to take care of the plastic gearing and servo before I even think of changing the motor.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    What brushless setup did you get?
    Vxl-3s Velineon system.

RC Qualifier
    Vxl-3s Velineon system.
    Running on 3s?

RC Qualifier
    Do you have a build thread on this Rob? I just found out as well that my cousin had a stampede XL-1, and not the XL-5. I have to take care of the plastic gearing and servo before I even think of changing the motor.
    No build thread. When I decide to upgrade something on my 4pede, the 2pede gets the hand me downs. So far everything has just bolted right in. I was having too much down time with the old stock tranny/diff outputs, so I swapped it out for a metal gear tranny. I still have the stock servo on the 2pede (old black non-waterproof kind). Since the front is so light, I'm not going to replace that until it fails - and I don't think it will anytime soon. My VXL motor/ESC will be going in later this month when I have some spare time. I usually run the 4pede every day and use the 2pede as the backup when I take it down for some kind of upgrade.

RC Qualifier
    On the latest pede xl-5 is it already metal gears??

Quote Originally Posted by rcnewbie1234 View Post
    On the latest pede xl-5 is it already metal gears??
    Yep metal gears in all traxxas models they Currently sell
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Thanks agains guys!

RC Racer
    Running on 3s?
    I'm actually running it with 2s batteries, but the system is the velineon vxl-3s