RC Champion

Which lipo...4 choices

So I want to get a 3s lipo and I have found some that I like but can't decide which one to get here they are a venom 3s 5000mah 35c for $77 or gens ace 3s 5000mah 40c for $60 or sky 3s 5000mah 40c for $45 or pro-match 3s 5200 50c for $55. These all seem nice but they very in price. Am I ok to go with the cheapest or should I go with a good know name brand like venom? Do you guys use any of these? What do you think I should get?

RC Champion
    you should look into spc batteries. they are very nice and very affordable.

http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=113
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    I guess that is a good one its just not a hard case and its only 30c. I plan on running in on a mmp/2400kv so I think I will need a higher c rating.
    Last edited by Bash'n'slash; 01-28-2013 at 03:38 PM.

RC Champion
    they have hard case ones on the sight
    http://spcracing.com/index.php?categoryID=13

RC Qualifier
    +1 on spc, gens ace, and racer edge. i do like venom only for their customer support, but the connecter that comes on it is trash. its a must to change it as soon as you get it.
    Racing in the Past, Present, and Future...MAYBE

Well, lets see...
    Do you like to solder? It seems that none come with a genuine Traxxas High Current Connector. The Venom's universal connector will give you all kinds of trouble, Gens Ace and Sky don't even offer a Traxxas connector, and the ProMatch connector seems to be a knockoff. I find this last part to be distressing and I do my best to not buy from places that sell ripoff products.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    SPC will come with a geniune TRX connector if you select Traxxas connector. +1 on SPC too!!!!
    rc10T3, TT Sparrowhawk XXB, Slash 4x4, 1/16 Rally

RC Qualifier
    I would buy the 3S Sky Lipo. The 40C will make a small to mid size difference, but I have 2 Sky 2S 5000mah Lipos and they are great! Jang (UltimateRCNetwork on YouTube) tested each battery and says that Gens Ace is best, Sky Lipo is next, Venom is next best, Traxxas ones are last and I wouldn't even bother with anything that isn't mentioned in this post. Sky Lipos is the cheapest, last a long time (I have almost 30 packs through each of mine) and they are perfect). I would recommend Sky, not sure about Gens Ace but I've heard good things. Save your money though. Gens Ace and Sky are made by the same comanpy "Ace Pow" in China so the difference is minimal, Gens Ace is just known for a good brand name, Sky is the same battery (minimal difference).

I've pitted Sky LiPos @ 40C against SPC LiPos @ 20C. The Sky's came out ahead...barely. Now that SPC is rocking with 40C, 50C, 65C...I'll stay with them. I'm just glad that Sky LiPo was not mine.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Ok so it sounds like spc is what everyone likes but my only problem is they don't have a hard case that I like. I know they have one that's a hard case but its only 4100mah. An I making too big a fuss about hard cases? And is there really a big difference between 4100mah ad 5000mah? It also sounds like the sky lipo is a good choice and its very cheap. I think I've taken venom out of the picture because of the price and people are saying their not that great. The gens ace is still on the back burner though. I don't mind soldering, I've done a little but of it and it isn't too hard. Plus YouTube is always at my aid.

RC Champion
    you could get two of the 4100 mah spc's

RC Champion
    That's a good point. I know there not very much but I can't afford two. I mean I'm already buying an mmp, a body, battery expansion kit, gears......... I think you get it.

RC Qualifier
    I have a sky lipo and it works pretty well haven't had any problems yet

RC Champion
    Alot of people run SPC and I've heard good about Gen's ace. That's who I would go for. Sadly my 3s is a whimpy 4000mah duratrax but it fits in my Digger.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Racer
    Not that any of you care at all, but if I may add my 2 cents... Ditch the traxxas high current connector altogether and put a deans ultra plug on it...

Go venom
    Use stock plug for charging and you can buy a plug with a presoldered trx connector
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    I think I might go with Sky lipo. It is so cheap that if i did go through one fast it wouldn't even matter because there so cheap. I am going to stay with the traxxas connectors because i have other batteries that have the traxxas connectors and my charger has the traxxas connectors so it just will be easier to stay with them. Unless there's a real reason to change?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Quote Originally Posted by MJG44 View Post
    Not that any of you care at all, but if I may add my 2 cents... Ditch the traxxas high current connector altogether and put a deans ultra plug on it...
    Now you must explain why...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    What battery compartment are you putting this lipo in? A stock chassis or aftermarket? Hard case may not be a necessity...

Not sure, but I think spc only makes the 3s hardcases that will fit an e-revo battery compartment. That may be why they only offer a 3s hardcase in 4100 mah... With an inboard mounted pack like the stock 4x4 slash chassis, that pack is very well protected. I dont see a need for a hardcase???
    Last edited by rag6; 01-29-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    Yes I have the stock chassis. Like the old ultimate, not the LCG. That's why I was asking if I needed to have a hardcase or if I was just being particular for no reason. So you think that a soft case should be fine? I'm just worried about rocks being flung up and hitting the soft case and eventually puncturing it.

RC Enthusiast
    I have a venom11.1 5000 20c.i have no problems with their plugs. They have great run time.you will need part 5287x

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by daryleb73 View Post
    I have a venom11.1 5000 20c.i have no problems with their plugs. They have great run time.you will need part 5287x
    What motor and esc do you run that on? If its the mmp does the 20c have enough power?

RC Enthusiast
    It's stock and it moves

RC poster
    I need some help, please. I got a Slash 4x4 for Christmas and after reading your post wouold like to try the GEN Ace 5000mAh 40c 7.4 volt lipo battery. It says no bullet conectors included, and requires 4 mm banana connectors. I cant find them on the sight where I found the battery. Can you tell me what to get or where to get them where they will work with the traxxas connector.

RC Competitor
    I have 2 gens ace 2cells and they are awsome