RC Qualifier

Slash 4x4 MT build...

I'm in the process of building my 7y.o. son a Slash 4x4 MT. It's done, Trencher's on 3.2" Desperado's, ProLine arms, MIP's f/r, upgraded shocks, PL Silverado body. Right now, stock Velineon setup with 11 tooth pinion on 54 spur. It just doesn't get the speeds like he did when completely stock and he wants it "faster". Even cogs pretty bad, might be having issues sooner than later with his setup right now. He's actually a very good driver, I've broke more than he has! Looking into getting a bigger, more powerful setup for him. He will only be running 2 or 3s max. Has to be waterproof, want an esc/motor combo that will run cool, something he can just put battery after battery in it and not worry about overheating. There are so much out there, I'd like to get an idea of what others here have used or know about that would fit this criteria. Thanks.
    FLM EMBE, P4de "Digger", Slash MT, Rustler/P4de

RC Qualifier
    The castle 2400 is a great upgrade but the esc that goes well with it is not waterproof. Castle does make a waterproof mamba monster but it is expensive and Proabably over kill for your son. The 2400 is good on 3s and really fast on 4s. If your only wanting to use 2s and 3s I think the 2650 would be perfect for you. I have both motors and I never had any heat issues

RC Champion
    Yeah I would say the mmp with the 2400kv. It's great and even on 3s you can get some good speed and keep cool. Yes the esc isn't waterproof but its not to hard to waterproof. Just check out some YouTube videos on how to do it.

There aren't many waterproof options that are going to be faster than the velineon. If you can keep him out of the wet stuff,you can run an mmp with the motor of your choice, including the current motor. In fact, I can almost guarantee the motor will run better with the mmp but you'll have to do some soldering.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, that's my issue. For a 7y.o. too much power will probably lead to more $$ to repair things. He loves to get it out in the snow and wet grass/water puddle. I'll look into this more, just wanting to get as much info on this subject before I buy, as I don't want to have to do it again cuz I bought the wrong motor for our situation.

RC Champion
    Yeah like O. G. Said there aren't many options that are waterproof and better then the vxl system. You can look around but if you want power and waterproof you might have to waterproof you esc yourself.

RC Qualifier
    Other thoughts were to get an outerwears for the slash and just have an extra layer of protection, not waterproof, but hopefully would help with splashes of water. He knows not to submerge it, and we don't have a place to do this anyways.

RC Qualifier
    EZ run WP sc8, and then pick a tacon motor in the 3660 to 3674 can size, hobby partz or ebay. I have a 3000kv motor in the 3660 size and i like it alot. IM geared 14/54 and on 2s anyone can run it, and on 3s its a blast. The esc usually stays at 100 degrees or less and the motor is 125. I have tmaxx classic tires on 3.2 stablemaxx spiders.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dugsguns View Post
    EZ run WP sc8, and then pick a tacon motor in the 3660 to 3674 can size, hobby partz or ebay. I have a 3000kv motor in the 3660 size and i like it alot. IM geared 14/54 and on 2s anyone can run it, and on 3s its a blast. The esc usually stays at 100 degrees or less and the motor is 125. I have tmaxx classic tires on 3.2 stablemaxx spiders.
    Thanks, I'll look into that right now. Appreciate it!

RC Qualifier
    EZ run WP sc8 esc would work with what other types of motors? Any that are 2/3/4s lipo compatible? Is that all I need to really watch? 2400kv Castle an option with this esc for the Slash MT?

Yes the castle 2400 is an option with that esc, but it would be like having fine wine with generic American cheese... or seeing a jap bike with a bunch of Harleys.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Yes the castle 2400 is an option with that esc, but it would be like having fine wine with generic American cheese... or seeing a jap bike with a bunch of Harleys.
    Good one! Found this combo, 1/10 Max Pro SCT Combo ESC/1415 Motor: 2400Kv, sounds like a pretty good fit, short of the waterproof, which I will have to do myself like Jang did, plus an outerwears. What about this option any experience from anyone here?

RC poster
    If you look on YouTube there are videos on waterproofing esc's with corrosionX. I've not done it my self but the videos look like it works quite well. Might be a good pairing with a cover.